Diablko 4 announced

"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
Confusing 'playing POE' for 'playing the PoE forums' is a rookie mistake.

There's probably an overlap though, I bet more people than you'd think still play a lot on alt accounts. Nothing really ruins your GGG bad forum warrior credentials worse than having challenge numbers next to your name except for having 50 supporter badges next to it.

It's so true. It's why I tried AN on an alt and didn't reveal it until I'd finished my test and written my feedback as that alt -- which of course got zero attention until I OOPS LET SLIP IT WAS ME. And even then not that much, because honestly my opinion of where PoE is now isn't going to really change based on 3 days of SSF/ignorantasfuck testing trying to simulate a 'newbie's' experience. Absolutely no one was surprised that even a fake newbie would be completely lost by act 6.

As for the badges, I dunno. I remember asking Chris why people who had their alpha access revoked still had the 'alpha member' tag on the live game's forum, and he said something like it was still something they'd done. So I guess in light of that, forum warriors with lots of badges might be wearing them more as medals of service rather than ongoing badges of participation. I don't think I need to name the most obvious example of this, but it's pretty well known he put a *lot* more money into Last Epoch than PoE and does post quite critically here. I think he's even stopped 40/40ing every league.

But overall, yeah. You're probably right. But why not just call them hypocrites and be done with it? :)

"
imanubcake wrote:
There's also a difference between giving actual feedback instead of "poe is dead, diablo4 is the best thing ever"

This is true but I don't we really see that many posts of the latter. Chatter about D4 funnels into off-topic where it belongs, and thankfully sticks to a few threads. The vast majority of General Discussion and Feedback threads are more specific than that. The last few 'PoE is dead' threads I've seen have been parodies, which is funny since they're satirising something that doesn't really exist...which in turn takes a heck of a lot of bite out of the intended satire.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Dec 15, 2022, 12:50:30 AM
"

As for the badges, I dunno. I remember asking Chris why people who had their alpha access revoked still had the 'alpha member' tag on the live game's forum, and he said something like it was still something they'd done. So I guess in light of that, forum warriors with lots of badges might be wearing them more as medals of service rather than ongoing badges of participation. I don't think I need to name the most obvious example of this, but it's pretty well known he put a *lot* more money into Last Epoch than PoE and does post quite critically here. I think he's even stopped 40/40ing every league.

But overall, yeah. You're probably right. But why not just call them hypocrites and be done with it? :)

Well that aged well didn't it
Aged better than whatever random sentiment made you bump it, sure.

Oh, shit. I was responding to you. Fuck. That must have been a reaaaaal slow news day for me.

PS:

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jan 18, 2023, 7:40:37 AM
That wasnt even worth a reply actually. That random bump is beyond petty, to an extreme.

I can say personally, its gone so far as to ask for a source on something, I provide it, then get called pathetic for spending time to look it up, when it was just a quick google search and link.

Its logic like that that told me all I need to know about why they post, to whom, and seemingly what they hope to get out of it. That bump was so on-brand, it's actually amusing. I don't even bother with it mostly anymore. Any interactions are rarely in good faith. (I probably dont even have to tell you that)

Basically there are definitely a few folks on these forums living rent free in their head, of that, there can be little doubt. But it's almost never worth any effort to engage any longer. I'm not even sure what they get out of it, because often its embarrassing on their end, but clearly its something
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Eh, it's because the person we're talking about made a big old gusher of a post in General Discussion, celebrating a pretty clear milestone with their time here. Good for them! And yes, they're still getting 40/40s, or rather getting them again. Again: good for them. Do what you enjoy.

And I happen to enjoy replying to petty bumps in good faith. It tends to shut their arses down. Also, I'd never seen that picture of Zhukov before -- I always assumed Isaacs' portrayal of him in The Death of Stalin was just parodying his proclivity for medal displays.

I just lost all hope for it. Just looked at the store page when I was hopping on Starcraft, seems like it's just a cash grab. They're doing a 70$ price tag, and there's gonna be paid battle passes, so I'm assuming there's gonna be a bunch more paid content.

Any one of those things is fine, but not all together. If you're charging for a game at all you should be paying for everything up front, not paying for the game, then I'm assuming basically a subscription for battle passes and then having to pay if they release cool cosmetics you want, then they'll probably still be charging for expansions.

Looks like they're trying really hard to just turn it into a cash generator, which means they're gonna be trying to appeal to as many people as possible with it. That can rarely work with good devs who actually care about the game, there's no way Blizzard could pull it off without sabotaging anything appealing to people who want a serious ARPG.
The open beta weekend in late March will be my first taste until after it lands and I can gauge how hard. Mildly excited but little more than that.

70 bucks + cosmetics battle pass is...fine for a triple A arpg/mmo hybrid. The only alternatives are free to play gouging or subscription, at last as far as the MMO aspect is concerned. GW2 is paid, with p2w mtxes, AND paid expansions. And it's doing just fine.

But if you approach DIV as a mere arpg, then sure, triple A price plus paid cosmetic battle pass might seem a bit much. Thing is, it isn't trying to be a kere arpg and I get that is something some Exiles, so accustomed to PoE's archaic design, might not fully grasp. Or, and this is also perfectly fine, want.

what I liked about what Ive seen footage-wise and overheard from CB players: slower combat, return to a more dark theme, even though nowhere the sheer horror of d1

what I didnt like: itemization and skills are boring with little creativity and build exploration. this was echoed by people whose opinion I trust and the unofficial trees that were ripped from CB. very little you can do to make different builds...and item affixes I've seen are generic and boring.

now, these can change, but I think the general framework of skills and items is already there and it's very worrisome

Im still playing poe nowadays because of itemization and build concepts...

d4 seems like a game where devs arent big d2 nerds (unlike poe devs) and they want to both appease fans but also dont really understand the main appeal of d2 as a cult classic

have some fun items, ffs. come on, its an ARPG. say what you want about modern poe, but a lot of uniques are creative and iconic, and many have interesting - if useless - interactions

imo a simple unique ring/piece of gear that summons some squishy minion is inherently more interesting in context of items than some dead, dry +5% cooldown to skill x, +5 defense, +1 offense, chance to generate health globe on hit/crit piece

even if it's useless, such item promotes build design, and also functions well within the lore of an arpg and is just a FUN item even if it's not part of the metagame.
after diablo 3 i learned to never buy a blizzard product at launch

they don't deserve our hype
did I understand correctly that monsters will autolevel with you and that also there will be daily events ?

D4 looking less of an arpg and more like lost ark...too bad, I liked the return to grim visuals and slower pace

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info