Diablko 4 announced

"
"
KiadawP wrote:
I think not separating PoE 1 & 2 may be a mistake.

One word: mtxes.

Is that one word? Hmm

Stash tabs will be the interesting one to watch imo. See what clever QoL we will need to pay for.

There was never going to be a shortfall of new skill, armor, pets, hideout decor, and accessory mtx to pick from.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
"
KiadawP wrote:
I think not separating PoE 1 & 2 may be a mistake.

One word: mtxes.

Is that one word? Hmm

Stash tabs will be the interesting one to watch imo. See what clever QoL we will need to pay for.

There was never going to be a shortfall of new skill, armor, pets, hideout decor, and accessory mtx to pick from.

Sure is. pronounced 'fuckripoffmate'

^_^

Either way, I would bet my appendix that the investment over the years in mtxes (and I suppose accumulated knowledge) is why PoE '2' couldn't be Path of Exile 2. Shoe-horning in a completely new (and improved, I think) gem system was somehow preferable to trying to migrate all those mtxes into a new engine. Surely you can anticipate what sort of furore there'd be if every single mtx in a game that's been running for a decade or so were suddenly just...gone, and AT THE SAME TIME you're expected to buy new ones for a new game? Jesus, it'd be a bloodbath.

Besides, POE is a F2PGAS. They almost never get true sequels. Hence the Ship of Theseus comparisons.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Dec 13, 2022, 2:12:43 AM
Almost forgot another factor. The run like tractor engine….

I am sure GGG weight all the options and determined an upgrade and call it PoE2 is better than release a complete new game. While risk divide the player base.

Time will tell if that is the correct decision.
Last edited by KiadawP on Dec 13, 2022, 2:32:40 AM
"
KiadawP wrote:
Almost forgot another factor. The run like tractor engine….

I am sure GGG weight all the options and determined an upgrade and call it PoE2 is better than release a complete new game. While risk divide the player base.

Time will tell if that is the correct decision.

So I ran across someone called 'kiadaw' pushing Undecember pretty hard on the D3 forums last night (and getting dunked just as hard, because Blizzfans gonna Blizz), and I was wondering if it was you and if you're still playing it? I was reinstalling it on my tablet as I found the post and was like huh I know that name and tmk it's not a common one. :)

I agreed with the basic premise of what the post said: games like Undecember are a good lightweight 'shit to do while waiting for D4 and/or PoE 4.0' option. See also Warhammer 40k Inquisitor, Wolcen, Grim Dawn, Titan Quest, Sacred 2 (when or if they go on sale). Lost Ark I considered but enough people I trust are like Do Not Touch that I Will Not Touch.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Dec 13, 2022, 6:25:32 PM
"
Lost Ark I considered but enough people I trust are like Do Not Touch that I Will Not Touch.

Trust your circle always internet friend.

But that said, LA is more than ok. Ironically, or maybe not so ironically, I would never recommend PoE to anyone new, or thinking about starting.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Dec 13, 2022, 9:03:29 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Lost Ark I considered but enough people I trust are like Do Not Touch that I Will Not Touch.

Trust your circle always internet friend.

But that said, LA is more than ok. Ironically, or maybe not so ironically, I would never recommend PoE to anyone new, or thinking about starting.

Me either. PoEth: Not Even Once.

But unlike Undecember or 40k Inquisitor Martyr, I could only play LA on the PC, which is not ideal given this is also my 'workstation'. I like short, sharp gaming sessions between more productive bursts (IM's modular mission set up is bloody perfect for this). Also my 'good' video card went the way of the black-screen-100%-fan-speed dodo (I tried so hard to save it) so I'm back on my old faithful GTX970. I feel it wouldn't do LA's graphics justice at all.

That and the partner and I have agreed that MMOs just aren't for us. Not even super cazh ones like GW2. We mostly play together, separately, if that makes sense. She on her switch or PC in the living, me on the PS5 a few metres away. That sort of thing. MMOs are just too demanding for that.

More on topic: Blizzard are claiming that despite DIV's open world nature and MMO framework almost all of the game will be soloable. Joining randos in a world event/boss is actually a lot of fun for me in otherwise solo games: nothing like a random world boss to spice up solitary questing in FFXIV. The epic music kicks in, the word gets around it's spawned and before long, strangers are working together for the greater good of personal experience and loot. Easily my favourite part of both XIV and GW2.

Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Dec 13, 2022, 9:15:29 PM
i think it works in poes favour to come out second. its really hard to keep content pumping out and have an audience stick with an arpg for years and keep growing that user base. only 1 game has ever done it, and thats poe.

blizzard have had 3 diablo games and havent done it with any of them, the lead dev of diablo 4 claims he has never played path of exile and has the equiv of about 15 hours played in diablo 3. does this sound like the 2022 expert in arpg games who is gonna be the second lead dev in history to pull off what ggg did?

....maybe, maybe he is. maybe. i hope they manage it, im not holding my breath. im expecting a really good game that is super amazing for 2 months, 3 months, itll have seasons, i suspect they will start to last a couple weeks before virtually everyone is gone. 15-20 million initial players are gonna go down to like 2-3 million after 3 months, its gonna bleed out players because the audience it attracts will be quite casual. by 6 months to a year theres gonna be a forum full of haters who just cry about everything, nothing will be good enough for them, it will become a toxic poisoned atmosphere of wanton, endless bitching and what youll get is 100,000s of people new to arpgs who initially liked d4 but are disenchanted and looking for something with more content, more substance, better item system, better crafting... theyre bored of waiting for blizzard to 'fix the game'... and thats when poe2 would have an optimal launch.

you dont wanna launch first and then lose your players to d4, you wait til d4 does what in unfortunately will probably do which is fail to provide the depth and frequency needed to consistently grow its player base over time and then be there to pick up its refugees. because D4 will have reach, it will pull millions of people to the genre who have never heard of poe, and would never have heard of it without blizzards high profile gateway.

i still play diablo 3 to this day, im expecting to be playing diablo 4 for the next 10 years just like i did with diablo 3. the only real question is how much will i be playing it? D3 i get about a week out of it once every 4 months.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
i think it works in poes favour to come out second.

You could maybe make this work logically if D4 is terrible.

If it isn't, its a disaster, a serious disaster. All you have done is given your direct competition a 6-9 month head start with a next gen version of the most famous arpg ever. Whatever the fuck beta they are showing at Exilecon a few weeks after one of the most anticipated launches in many years, could well end up being comical compared to what D4 is pumping out in terms of scale. It's a brand new, full next gen game, with live service vs. a decades old game's latest expansion.

A few 6-link gems, a ranger turning into a large house-cat, a spear weapon class and some guaranteed out of balance ascendancy tweaks is not going to cut it competition wise, compared to what we have seen so far from D4.

Anyways we won't have long to wait to see this play out. D4 is coming fast, and PoE2... well I hope for their sake its going better than PoE1 league development.
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Dec 13, 2022, 10:47:12 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

nah, it could be amazing and it still works. theres been a number of amazing arpgs over the years, only 1 of them has been able to hold its player base and grow it past about 6 months and thats path of exile.

path of exile players, lots of them have played d3, last epoch, wolcen, torchlight, d2, grim dawn etc. people will try the competition, they will read about new releases in the diablo forum, hear about them on streams, from rhykker etc, they will give them a shot.

but you want diablo 4 to do what its gonna do, which is drag 5 million+ players who would never have got into arpgs otherwise into the genre so that when you launch you get that audience to sell your hype to through the arpg news sphere that a significant number of them are now engaged with.

head start doesnt matter, its not a race, the longer the game lives the more people will be bored of it, the more they will be looking for the next fix. its 6-9 months of rotting, not pulling ahead in any meaningful way. the audience who cares about playing arpgs long term will try most of the big titles, esp one thats f2p. you dont have to be first, they will gravitate to the one thats the better game and if anything the game thats the most fresh to the player will probably have an advantage.

a lot of people will play both just like they play poe and d3. most people i speak to in poe have played d3 for a time, but d3 aimed to be more casual with less options and that means people got to a '...and im done for good' point long before they got there with poe. d4 is also aiming to be more casual with less options than poe.

poe didnt have the polish of diablo 3 on launch, worse it had chronic desync, all sorts of hideous problems. it launched a year after d3 and took the majority of diablo 3s serious arpg player base because it had a better item system and more character creation depth. the game looked like shit, played like absolute trash, completely wiped out diablo 3 based on depth.

d4 will probably wipe out poe on launch, i know im almost certainly gonna be d4 all the way until poe2 comes out. you want to to wipe out poe1 and then you want to launch when the cracks in d4 start showing. and there will be cracks because it will be a game that is not trying to hold and grow a hardcore arpg crowd exclusively for 10 years, its trying to please a diminishing large casual crowd for a couple of weeks maybe 3 times a year.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

nah, it could be amazing and it still works. theres been a number of amazing arpgs over the years, only 1 of them has been able to hold its player base and grow it past about 6 months and thats path of exile.

path of exile players, lots of them have played d3, last epoch, wolcen, torchlight, d2, grim dawn etc. people will try the competition, they will read about new releases in the diablo forum, hear about them on streams, from rhykker etc, they will give them a shot.

but you want diablo 4 to do what its gonna do, which is drag 5 million+ players who would never have got into arpgs otherwise into the genre so that when you launch you get that audience to sell your hype to through the arpg news sphere that a significant number of them are now engaged with.

head start doesnt matter, its not a race, the longer the game lives the more people will be bored of it, the more they will be looking for the next fix. its 6-9 months of rotting, not pulling ahead in any meaningful way. the audience who cares about playing arpgs long term will try most of the big titles, esp one thats f2p. you dont have to be first, they will gravitate to the one thats the better game and if anything the game thats the most fresh to the player will probably have an advantage.

a lot of people will play both just like they play poe and d3. most people i speak to in poe have played d3 for a time, but d3 aimed to be more casual with less options and that means people got to a '...and im done for good' point long before they got there with poe. d4 is also aiming to be more casual with less options than poe.

poe didnt have the polish of diablo 3 on launch, worse it had chronic desync, all sorts of hideous problems. it launched a year after d3 and took the majority of diablo 3s serious arpg player base because it had a better item system and more character creation depth. the game looked like shit, played like absolute trash, completely wiped out diablo 3 based on depth.

d4 will probably wipe out poe on launch, i know im almost certainly gonna be d4 all the way until poe2 comes out. you want to to wipe out poe1 and then you want to launch when the cracks in d4 start showing. and there will be cracks because it will be a game that is not trying to hold and grow a hardcore arpg crowd exclusively for 10 years, its trying to please a diminishing large casual crowd for a couple of weeks maybe 3 times a year.

D4 being amazing, and then it not impacting PoE2 because of "inevitable D4 cracks" is one hell of a take.

Just on a very basic logical level, if D4 is amazing, why would players, on average, want to go back to whatever PoE2 is? It's an expansion. It's old. It's still a shared atlas endgame. It's not seriously competing in any metric with D4. There isn't any way you actually believe that.

I do think both games can exist together, but it's not really going to be comparable. The real questions becomes how much loss GGG / Tencent is willing to accept post D4 launch up to PoE 4.0, and then having to potentially make tough decisions.
- Abraham Lincoln

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info