Melee Splash

"
Dragon585 wrote:
I feel you man. I feel like an asshole for posting here so many times with such aggression. I love this game. I'm just bored with it. And boredom causes frustration for me. I got excited, and I guess I misunderstood the purpose of this new skill gem. For the last week now I have just been farming orbs on my ranger with iiq/iir gear, and posting here every 5 mins like it's gonna make any difference. But I am just so bored. To alot of ppl, games are just games. To me, they are much more. And while I haven't invested as much time in it as you have, I can assure you I need this game as much or more than you do.

Bring on the "get a life noob" posts. I am ready.

Dude I MFed and bought gear for a GH hammer build. I adjusted with the changes as they happened on alpha. When they put out this version I tested it and it was crap.

Trust me, I understand your feelings. I'm not a gamer, I just liked this game alot. It became habit and was able to fill my boredom as all I do is work and sleep. At my job I have about 2 hours of work in a 9 hour shift so I'd play there. Now I'm left to watch TV and hope for something different to happen in my life. The game has been helping me escape this stale feeling I've had the last few months.

I really thought this gem would revive that feeling. There's not much I haven't done in this game and this could have opened up alot, while it wouldn't fix melee it would have made it a hell of alot more interesting. Melee is playable, just not the best, if it was interesting people would at least feel the need to deal with it. If it's boring and less viable than ranged what's the point?
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
Why are people complaining about melee splash needing quality.

One of the more popular builds is Freezing pulse. Tell me freezing pulse is viable at 0% quality.

Freezing pulse NEEDS 20% quality to be even somewhat viable, and to be truly "ranged" freezing pulse needs a projectile speed increase mod on the weapon on top of the 20% quality.

Same thing with lightning strike, it pretty much NEEDS 20% quality to be decent.\

Anyways has anyone tested 20% melee splash with a marohi erqi? I'd imagine the radius would be pretty huge with 20% and marohi erqi and maybe 1 of the templar area increase.
IGN- Narutobieber
GUIDES:
Templar Budget Strike build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/298433/page/1
Marauder Universal Endgame Skill template: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/338007
"
Narutobieber wrote:

One of the more popular builds is Freezing pulse. Tell me freezing pulse is viable at 0% quality.

Freezing pulse NEEDS 20% quality to be even somewhat viable, and to be truly "ranged" freezing pulse needs a projectile speed increase mod on the weapon on top of the 20% quality.

Same thing with lightning strike, it pretty much NEEDS 20% quality to be decent.\

Anyways has anyone tested 20% melee splash with a marohi erqi? I'd imagine the radius would be pretty huge with 20% and marohi erqi and maybe 1 of the templar area increase.

Freezing pulse is a skill gem, lightning strike is a skill gem. You build your char around your skills. Splash is a SUPPORT gem. Name one support gem that requires quality to be of any use. I'll wait.
DISCLAIMER!
The views and expressed opinions of Dragon are solely those of a drunken redneck and are not necessarily those of a sane person. Any likeness of intelligence is strictly coincidental and should not be taken seriously. His posts should not be read... by anyone.
Last edited by Dragon585 on Apr 10, 2013, 12:37:42 AM
"
Moosifer wrote:

Dude I MFed and bought gear for a GH hammer build. I adjusted with the changes as they happened on alpha. When they put out this version I tested it and it was crap.

Trust me, I understand your feelings. I'm not a gamer, I just liked this game alot. It became habit and was able to fill my boredom as all I do is work and sleep. At my job I have about 2 hours of work in a 9 hour shift so I'd play there. Now I'm left to watch TV and hope for something different to happen in my life. The game has been helping me escape this stale feeling I've had the last few months.

I really thought this gem would revive that feeling. There's not much I haven't done in this game and this could have opened up alot, while it wouldn't fix melee it would have made it a hell of alot more interesting. Melee is playable, just not the best, if it was interesting people would at least feel the need to deal with it. If it's boring and less viable than ranged what's the point?

I was looking to replace GS with Infernal blow/ splash myself. I don't have a good cleave weapon or i'd prob be using that. Glacial hammer sounded really fun, but with my build I could use the extra dmg more than the survival that GH would give.

And inb4 all you guys saying IB builds need IAOE, im not an IB build. My build is very tanky and has few dps nodes. So I cannot afford to use a gem that requires so much.
DISCLAIMER!
The views and expressed opinions of Dragon are solely those of a drunken redneck and are not necessarily those of a sane person. Any likeness of intelligence is strictly coincidental and should not be taken seriously. His posts should not be read... by anyone.
Last edited by Dragon585 on Apr 10, 2013, 12:49:56 AM
I'm trying out melee splash with:

I'm level 31 so still low, but currently I feel like a well-nigh invulnerable windmill with pointy edges. Really looking forward to seeing how this holds up at higher levels.
"
Narutobieber wrote:

I've done both FP and LS builds very successfully w/o quality on them. I'd actually rather use LS w/o quality so I can use chain as you can't chain if it pierces.
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
"
Dragon585 wrote:

Freezing pulse is a skill gem, lightning strike is a skill gem. You build your char around your skills. Splash is a SUPPORT gem.

Please stop repeating that because it is not true. In this game you can build around anything, in no way limited only to skills. It is one of the defining qualities of PoE.

First understand that character building is essentially finding synergies, no more no less. If you are not trying to squeeze out the maximum efficiency out of a certain build idea you are just randomly clicking points on a skill tree.

You build around - skills, keystones, uniques, or a combination of them. You can also build around game mechanics themselves - like running a 95% crit chance build, or stacking all the attack speed you can get. And finally you most certainly can build specifically around a support gem - spell totem is a support gem, I also saw a guy who made a remote mine build not long ago. There are now going to be builds specifically made to utilize the new "power charge on crit" gem. Elemental proliferation is another gem that is in no way "plug and play". You can check the duelist forum for a build where a guy shock stacks the entire screen with cyclone - cos he choose his passives to specifically do that. If you put that gem in 99% of other cyclone duelist builds it will do nothing. Obviously there are support gems that can't be built around cos they just give a numerical boost, but that is the game - not all support gems are created equal in their power, cost, or function.

And here is your real problem - you took a new gem and stuck it in your old character that is in no way spec-ed to get any efficiency out of it.

Also while I'm writing stuff maybe please stop bringing up chain, lmp, gmp and ranged skills in every post you make, cos they have absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Yes, we all know that ranged is easy mode in this game but so what? There have been hundreds of threads discussing that, go there.

Melee splash performs exactly as advertised - it damages other enemies which are in melee range. That is it. This is not the "melee hits the entire screen" gem.

So to make myself clear on a last point - I wouldn't mind an aoe buff, what player doesn't want a stronger character. But when the question is "Does this gem actually need a buff to be useful?" My answer is - not really, it performs quite well the way it is, as long as you build around it.
@ Drakar

Your right about one thing. I'm done beating a dead horse here. Almost all of my posts are pretty much me repeating myself. While I so VERY much want to debate with you about pretty much everything in your post, I have already said it all before. There is nothing new I can add.

I'm curious though, what build you tried it with? Can you give us some information on your build and support gems ect?
DISCLAIMER!
No, you are getting things confused. Those builds you mentioned have options. They can go different routes to build up different options. With PCoC for example, you can use it on a duelist now to have access to more crit than you would otherwise, it would scale well off IAS. You could put it on with a ranger and use the crit multi they have. Or you could use it on a shadow to really maximize your overall crit chance. What it doesn't require is you having high crit or many power charges to work. It isn't as effective as power siphon or volls, but it opens up alternative options.

Splash doesn't. It required IAOE gem and/or passives to work remotely close to normal AOEs. It's limited. If you use it on a duelist/ranger you will be stuck using IAOE gem or using it it for smaller melee ranged groups, not as a general AOE which all builds are centered around.

You can't just ignore his points with LMP and chain because if you do you are saying that splash is intended to be a niche gem which no one thought that when it was pitched.

With LMP and chain you can make choose many different options to make them optimum and/or viable. With splash you are already more restricted than a normal AOE, being force to take certain passives or use a certain gem makes it even more restricted.

Maybe you guys think it's fine because you don't mind another niche gem that requires a certain build to work but to be honest, keep the niche shit to skills and allow supports to open up options.

I guess I should just give up hope for diversity. GGG seems scared of making anything OP so they remove diversity and the community is just begging for a limited number of builds to be good. I guess I'll roll a LA build and join the crowd.

I need to stay away from this thread. I'm going to go off the rails if I keep hearing this gem is fine. It's fucking garbage.
I know I promised to stop but... this gem is a used car with engine problems. Sure you could buy it and spend time and money fixing it up. Or you could pay the same amount, or sometimes less, and get a new, reliable car.

I want a new car.

See? I didn't repeat myself. I used analogies :)
DISCLAIMER!
Last edited by Dragon585 on Apr 10, 2013, 3:59:27 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info