So i received this email from PoE

"
Tagek wrote:
"
krismikehunt wrote:
In an RPG, where levelling is one of your primary objectives, I would say EXP boosts are pay2win. PVP aside, why would you wan't to buy a better weapon with real money? To kill stuff better. Why do you want to be more efficient at killing stuff? So you can rack up your XP faster. Buying a EXP boosting pot is just a different packaging for the same end result.

No MMO has leveling as it's primary objectives.
The 'real' content only begins at max level.
If you buy an xp boost all you do is skip out on content you paid for.
Of course, maybe not at launch, but I'm sure the XP boosts won't be enabled right away.

Pretty sure PoE is the opposite. The leveling experience is filled with challenging content that's being given care and attention by the developers with every major patch. In contrast, the Maelstrom is something they stuck in as an afterthought, from what I hear - granted, it's no less challenging, but it's fairly imbalanced and there's really nothing new there apart from high level gear and OP versions of the same old mobs.
Last edited by Silty on May 15, 2012, 1:12:21 AM
i have always found that the only real pay2win games are games based around cash shop potions or where you can buy weapons that are basicly reskined versions of elite gear. exp potions are just a way for people to skip content faster or to keep up in levels with there friends. even if you could buy straigh up levels from a cash shop and skip to end game content your still stuck with no items or in game currency that you would have normaly gotten through grinding so why would anyone want to group with you?

buying exp potions just cheapens your experiance and in games that require subscriptions your basicly just paying your subscription fees up front. instead of taking an extra month to get that last 10 levels your paying your 15$ worth of potions to speed that time up to half.

Poe is an entirly different style of game than a mmo its an arpg. in an mmo you have reasons to want to be a higher level faster that way you can grind that boss instance more often to get more loots. in an arpg normal mobs and exploring have great chances for loot and even contain there own bosses. there is no loot that only the act boss drops so your not forced into a level range needed to farm the boss. why would you want to skip that grinding and exploring.

LoL has xp potions and currency gain potions yet there not a p2w game. its because there is no content that gives an in game advantage to any one player and that you can use in game currency to buy the items that are in the cash shop
Super Monday Moght Combat isnt really pay2win, tho it does have xp boosts for cash. Thats the worst of it tho

And Lord of the Rings Online isn't pay2win and its a real mmo. Everything game essential can be earned ingame. Just takes longer.

That philosophy in F2P is nothing new.
Last edited by Angus on May 15, 2012, 2:42:02 PM
I'm surprised by all of the people talking about how stuff isn't p2w because it "just takes longer" to do without.

You could use that logic to justify selling absolutely anything at all, as long as it's available in the game naturally.

You could stick in super powerful items to sell for money, or have them drop off bosses with a 0.00001% drop rate. It's not pay to win, you can get it yourself, it just takes longer.

The thing that takes longer is the part where you are actually playing the game instead of hitting your "automatic win" button that you bought in a cash shop.

In some MMOs levelling up is just a grind with no real challenge, true. This game is not an MMO, and levelling up is a huge focus--arguably the bulk of the game. Getting xp isn't something that "just takes longer," it is half the freaking game.

Anyway, suffice to say I'd be thoroughly disappointed if anything like an xp potion showed up in the shop. Might as well start selling gear at that point, since grinding for xp and grinding for gear are identical--they both cost time--then where would we be?
"
Silty wrote:
"
Tagek wrote:
"
krismikehunt wrote:
In an RPG, where levelling is one of your primary objectives, I would say EXP boosts are pay2win. PVP aside, why would you wan't to buy a better weapon with real money? To kill stuff better. Why do you want to be more efficient at killing stuff? So you can rack up your XP faster. Buying a EXP boosting pot is just a different packaging for the same end result.

No MMO has leveling as it's primary objectives.
The 'real' content only begins at max level.
If you buy an xp boost all you do is skip out on content you paid for.
Of course, maybe not at launch, but I'm sure the XP boosts won't be enabled right away.

Pretty sure PoE is the opposite. The leveling experience is filled with challenging content that's being given care and attention by the developers with every major patch. In contrast, the Maelstrom is something they stuck in as an afterthought, from what I hear - granted, it's no less challenging, but it's fairly imbalanced and there's really nothing new there apart from high level gear and OP versions of the same old mobs.

Maybe, but it's not an MMO.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
"
digibucc wrote:
"
pskfry wrote:
I can tell you that the line is very, very blurry, and when you are grinding without the experience bonus item it feels like you're doing something wrong.

yeah i can't play games like that. if i feel as though spending real cash is NECESSARY, i am likely to just delete the game and move on.

and at that moment of pressing delete button on PoE folder (since it's pay to play) you decided to become Silver Supporter and pay for the "completely free to play" game? Strange... :)

"Pretty sure PoE is the opposite. The leveling experience is filled with challenging content that's being given care and attention by the developers with every major patch."

I made it to lvl 37 in about 5~6 hrs, soloed every boss np, mobs die just by hitting me while I am in the kitchen making a sandwich. Really challenging. I play templar with mana regen aura can spam spells almost indefinitely (thanks to mana regen of ~6 points per second) and dont use my primary weapon at all except for holding the spells in sockets.
Really balanced, no argument there. /sigh

I see they added harder mode of game, I guess I will try that one day if this game ever goes free before they abandon development.
"Path of Exile be a online Action RPG set up in tha dark fantasy ghetto of Wraeclast. Well shiiiit..."
- Uzicorn, for teh children.
Last edited by Ludak021 on May 16, 2012, 3:00:06 PM
Well you are in a very small minority of PoE players. In fact, I dare say you may be the ONLY player in that minority, as I certainly haven't ever heard of someone making PoE in its current state out to be as easy as you say, even on default league.

I doubt they will abandon development because 1 person has somehow managed to develop a godlike ability on this game ;)
*WARNING* - expect typos!
team fortress two also has an ingame/online real currency shop and they aren't pay to win either. GGG isn't the only company doing this but it is still admirable.
"
SergioSource wrote:
Funny thing is, this will probably be the first online game I spend cash on.

i agree with you 100% here. and knowing it pisses people off even makes me want to buy it more now. lets get some nice gems and gear in the shop also. would really like to see the tears flow
"
DrekiSal wrote:
LoL has xp potions and currency gain potions yet there not a p2w game.

I have to disagree with this, you can buy just about everything in League with real money compared to grinding the currency for it. The only thing you can't directly purchase is Runes which you can still get a boost to help you get. In my opinion it's pay to win since you're going to have access to many more heroes than someone else that has just started. Plus there's the fact that heroes are releasing every week or so, you can easily pick up the new hero if you drop a few bucks on it, or else you're going to be stuck saving up the currency for it (which isn't very easy to get I should add).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info