So i received this email from PoE

League of Legends is also a perfect example.
Only cosmetic stuff.

Every guy want's to look cool and be powerful
non Pay2Win shops just give you the looks, gathering power is just up to you.
EXP boost items are fine if theres a way to trade them, so that you could trade 2x chaos orbs for 1 hour exp boost item or something.

The point where exp boost items become pay2win is when they are account locked. Most of the games i've played with cash shops eventually reach the conclusion that the "beneficial" items are much more profitable if they are tradeable as it gives the ones who dont buy items access to them (keeps that group happy) and it gives the high end $$ spenders an outlet for their $$$ (they happy).

Costume gears should probably be account locked though.
In my opinion, it depends.

If it takes 10 hours to level to max without an exp boost and 9 with an exp boost, and most of the game is "end game", they're not really p2w.

If it takes 10000 hours to level without an exp boost, and 100 hours with an EXP boost, and most of the game is while you level/based on players of different levels interacting, it's pretty solidly p2w.
itsalljustagame.wordpress.com - my blog about all things gaming - Current project - "Communal effort" - Game design by popular vote!
In an RPG, where levelling is one of your primary objectives, I would say EXP boosts are pay2win. PVP aside, why would you wan't to buy a better weapon with real money? To kill stuff better. Why do you want to be more efficient at killing stuff? So you can rack up your XP faster. Buying a EXP boosting pot is just a different packaging for the same end result.
*WARNING* - expect typos!
In GW2 it's a bit different though. For a start, you gain exp no matter where you are due to level scaling...and perhaps more importantly, you scale up to max level whenever you pvp.

So while I sighed when I saw the exp boosters in the Gw2 cash shop, I had to concede that all they are is a tradeoff of cash for playtime for the individual.

In PoE, well, if they restricted such things from limited leagues and *any* league with PvP, then I would actually feel the same way. I have a funny feeling the GGGang are even more hardnosed about what constitutes 'pay to win' than most of their players.
Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Predecessor, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Deep Rock Galactic/Remnant 2 (MP w mates);
Tablet - - Buriedbornes 2, Dawncaster, Loop Hero, Fate GO;
and,
PC - - Word and winamp ~_^
"
krismikehunt wrote:
In an RPG, where levelling is one of your primary objectives, I would say EXP boosts are pay2win. PVP aside, why would you wan't to buy a better weapon with real money? To kill stuff better. Why do you want to be more efficient at killing stuff? So you can rack up your XP faster. Buying a EXP boosting pot is just a different packaging for the same end result.

No MMO has leveling as it's primary objectives.
The 'real' content only begins at max level.
If you buy an xp boost all you do is skip out on content you paid for.
Of course, maybe not at launch, but I'm sure the XP boosts won't be enabled right away.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
Last edited by Tagek on May 14, 2012, 6:34:45 PM
"
Tagek wrote:
"
krismikehunt wrote:

No MMO has leveling as it's primary objectives.
The 'real' content only begins at max level.
If you buy an xp boost all you do is skip out on content you paid for.
Of course, maybe not at launch, but I'm sure the XP boosts won't be enabled right away.

Is WoW the only MMO you have ever played?
So Tagek, by your argument, if PoE started letting players pay say $10 to instantly level up by 5 levels it wouldn't be pay2win?
*WARNING* - expect typos!
Last edited by krismikehunt on May 14, 2012, 6:40:31 PM
"
krismikehunt wrote:
So Tagek, by your argument, if PoE started letting players pay say $10 to instantly level up by 5 levels it wouldn't be pay2win?

yer not winnin anythin
"
krismikehunt wrote:

Like mr xxnoob said, what are you winning?
Sure, in leagues where leveling can get you a prize that should be disabled, but otherwise it's not an issue at all.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
Last edited by Tagek on May 14, 2012, 6:46:14 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info