The Truth about Albino Rhoa Feathers

===========================================================
Update 07/22/2013:
It would appear that the new recipe hinted at in the chaos keychain announcement has been discovered, and it has nothing to do with Albino Rhoa Feathers or Uniques.
(GCP + lvl 20 gem = lvl 1, 20 quality gem).

The search continues.....

Update 07/11/2013:
Added the speculation section "Theorycrafting" in spoilers at the end of the OP.

Update:
Apparently Chris has mentioned the Albino Rhoa Feathers in a Chaos Orb Keychain preview post.

Spoiler
"
Chris wrote:
On an unrelated note, I observed recently that there was a vendor recipe added to Path of Exile 18 months ago that isn't common knowledge. I only know of one player who knows this recipe. We like vendor recipes, Unique items and uses for Albino Rhoa Feathers to be secret, because then the people who find them can choose whether to share the information or keep it to themselves. I promised not to disclose what the recipe was, but figured it was fair game to remind people that there are secrets worth uncovering in Wraeclast ;)

It is interesting to me that the Albino Rhoa Feather is explicitly mentioned. Though it is not clearly linked to a recipe, the post does imply that, if Chris is not trolling xD, there is some use for Albino Rhoa feathers that is yet unknown to the public. I will posit that there is a use for the feathers, and Chris is not trolling in this instance. Edit: How foolish I am TT.

Firstly, I'd like to say that I appreciate all of the trolling that has been going on about fishing, pet recipes, the eternal laboratory, and all of the mysteries surrounding the Albino Rhoa Feather. A lot of the threads are very creative and funny. However, as a curious owner of a feather, it quickly becomes frustrating trying to uncover the truth about the feathers. This thread is my solution to that frustration, which will hopefully help anyone else who has happened upon a feather and is wondering just what in tarnation it's supposed to do.

I'm sure people are going to give me flack for not having a full stack of 10 feathers to do experiments with, but I'm not going to waste my time farming them just yet. So far, I've seen several threads with people linking verified stacks of 10 and QQ'ing because they wasted their lives away farming them. I don't want to be that guy :) Edit: I have become that guy. Haha.

Below is a list of everything I know about the feathers, and a body of evidence to support my claims. I've included a video and some screenshots. I can't prove that I didn't photoshop any of the images, which is why I included the video. Of course, videos can be edited as well, so this isn't bulletproof. As far as the evidence is concerned, you'll have to have faith that I'm an honest person trying to better the community with this information.

If anyone has any additional information about the feathers, feel free to PM me, or message me in game: MenderSwiftpaw

If I'm able to verify any additional information, I'll add it to this OP.

Verifiable facts about Albino Rhoa Feathers:
1) There is currently no known use for the feathers.
2) The Albino Rhoa is a very rare creature that drops a single Rhoa Feather.
3) The Albino Rhoa does not attack, and runs from the player.
4) The Albino Rhoa can be found in the Mud Flats area. (I found mine on normal difficulty)
5) The feathers currently have a stack size of 10.
6) A single feather vendors for a scroll fragment.
7) A single feather cannot be placed in the Map Device in the Eternal Laboratory.
8) A stack of 10 feathers vendors for a scroll fragment. As of patch 0.11.1, a stack of feathers now sells for 2 wisdom scrolls.
"
Vendors now assess stacks of currency items correctly and offer full price based on their contents.
(From the Patch Notes.)
9) A stack of 10 feathers cannot be placed in the Map Device in the Eternal Laboratory.
10) A stack of 10 feathers does not become a different item.
11) You cannot place Albino Rhoa feathers in the microtransaction tab. (worth a shot I guess?)
12) You cannot place a feather in a gem slot of Fairgraves' Tricorne to turn it into a "Feathered Tricorne"

Debunked Troll Stories
I read a pretty funny troll post on the forums a while ago that said you could place a rhoa feather in a gem slot on the unique item "Fairgraves' Tricorne" and it will turn into a Feathered Tricorne. Since I had both, I decided to humor the poster and debunk the story. :)

Videos
Basic Tests on a stack of 10 feathers
Albino Rhoa Sighting Video
Feathered Tricorne Debunked

Screencaps
Rhoa in Mud Flats:
Spoiler

Map Device:
Spoiler

Drop and Stack Size:
Spoiler

Vendored:
Spoiler

Microtransaction Tab:
Spoiler

Contributors:
Giftblades
ambushcade
WandAttackWitch
BADABINGG
EzSniper
Capt_KrooK
Period

The following section contains wild speculation, and is not fully supported by evidence. It is reserved for theories and ideas that I have developed during my contemplation of the Albino Rhoa Feathers:
Theorycrafting

Hypothesis: The Albino Rhoa is a diamond supporter addition to the game, and has no use.

I draw this hypothesis from a quote I read in an interview of GGG by venturebeat:
"
What sort of items have the higher-tier players been asking for? “We’re getting requests like, ‘I will pay you to put a wolf in a certain area,’” said Rogers. “Though we were hoping people would be asking for something cooler.” Another wanted a talking sword. So Grinding Gear recorded some dialogue for the sword and gave it a history. The blade holds the soul of a whimsical but thoroughly mad wizard.

Perhaps the "wolf" was the albino rhoa....in an unrelated note, where is this talking sword at!?

d:- D
ign: MenderSwiftpaw / UprightRhoa / WitchWhichWanders
though the dark may come, the sun also rises.
Last edited by MenderSwiftpaw on Jul 22, 2013, 3:30:06 AM
Last bumped on Oct 9, 2023, 3:26:38 PM
i hope the truth comes out, will bookmark it to check new findings
ingame nick: BTMP

My unique collection thread http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/284550
My goal is to own every unique item in the game.
but if you discover GGG sends an assassin after you...
"
haplessG00N wrote:
but if you discover GGG sends an assassin after you...

well said, this company likes to keep secrets. Such as the recipe for exalted orb!
Albino Roa Feathers are used on conjunction with fishing.
"
Firstly, I'd like to say that I appreciate all of the trolling that has been going on about fishing

That's because we really enjoy trolling.
* Cheers from Argentina, the land of ping and packet loss *

#HYPEGATE

GMT -3
Just talked to you in game, a hell of a good guy. I sure hope you get a world first of that. Good luck man.
"
Biittmmaap wrote:
i hope the truth comes out, will bookmark it to check new findings

This. Exactly this. :)
Looks like someone missed their weekly meeting of Douchebag's Anonymous.

"
peroquenariz wrote:

That's because we really enjoy trolling.

Of course, we all know that in order to get one's trollin' on right properly, one must be on a boat.
d:- D
ign: MenderSwiftpaw / UprightRhoa / WitchWhichWanders
though the dark may come, the sun also rises.
Albino give you +1% quantity drop. Basic quantity is 16%. Mods like +100% iiq: its 16*(1+1.00)=32%. 10 Albino on inventory give (16%+10%)*(1+iiq). Its cap. 20 Albino dont give you +20%.
@hasyou 1-80lvl solo game Witch
Last edited by Wakeupneo on Apr 3, 2013, 4:44:06 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info