Spell Totem

"
mptyspace wrote:
Did anyone try this with fireball/ icespear + extra projectiles?

If you get 2 or 3 of those totems up shooting massive amounts of elemental projectiles and cast the elemental weakness curse yourself in the meantime, this seems like one hell of an overpowered combination.
The biggest difficulty I've found in using Totem is the long casting time for placing the totem combined with enemies killing the totem. If I were playing with other players I'd agree that totems are great, but if I'm on my own then just attacking by myself is better because placing a totem takes too long.
The biggest problem I've had is finding the gem at all. It never dropped it's not given by any quests and I never have seen a single person selling it even if I wtb in chat.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Umbraal wrote:
The gem doesn't state that in its description anywhere so that seems to be a bug.
Odd. It's definitely showing for me on the gem tooltip.

Update: This stat description is currently missing in beta and will be merged into an upcoming patch.

I have one question regarding the lower damage. Is it a fixed stat or does this penalty reduce over levels. Do you ever get to summon more than 1 totem?

Otherwise it's an extremely fun skill. I'm using it attatched to Spark and casting it alongside summons and lightning strike. It's the most fun i've had with a spec so far.
IGN: Hauberdogken.
If you find me AFK, leave a message on the forum or add me and I'll get back to you.
"
mptyspace wrote:
Did anyone try this with fireball/ icespear + extra projectiles?

If you get 2 or 3 of those totems up shooting massive amounts of elemental projectiles and cast the elemental weakness curse yourself in the meantime, this seems like one hell of an overpowered combination.

Unavailable

yeah... i just got it recently and i tried icespear with it... it actually attack mobs outside of my field of vision... lol

but it's pretty weak and won't last more than 1 or 2 hits by the mobs in merciless lvl.

i find that shockwave totem gives better crowd control utility.
34pre98qua
Last edited by stkmro on May 20, 2012, 10:50:08 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
This gem is pretty ridiculous. I made a witch and used this gem combined with remote mine on a 4 link and can clear chaos solo at level 52 full of rarity gear. Can place like 15 totems at once before the first expire.

My level 66 duelist with 90% DR and 3k life cannot even do this solo.

If that doesnt tell you something about how OP it is i don't know what will. Needs to be nerfed or removed IMO
Beyeser - 77 Marauder
FuzzyClam - 80 Witch
FishyTaco - 74 Witch
Last edited by Badmotorfinger on May 23, 2012, 1:20:50 AM
it's pretty damn powerful. Linked ice spear to it, and have the passive that makes every bit of cold damage have 5% chance to freeze, it freezes mobs for me and does massive damage (greater multi projectiles linked too) and I finish everything off with freezing pulse.

It's level 6 now though, and still haven't gotten an extra totem, I guess it's at 7 you get that?
ign:mptyspace
"
mptyspace wrote:
... Linked ice spear to it, and have the passive that makes every bit of cold damage have 5% chance to freeze...

which passive keystone is that? around which area of the skill tree is this keystone located?
34pre98qua
It's in the Shadow starter area at the end of the spell branch when it splits elements.
It's good for lower level characters, but once Chaos comes around you run into enemies that are already in melee range by the time you finish placing the totem, and can kill totems faster than you can place them. I guess that makes it pretty balanced.
I noticed this when playing around with the Totem support and other totems. It seems like a bug; it might not be. In this test, the totems were a Shockwave Totem (able to cast 1), Lesser Multi-Chaos Damage-Totem Fireball (able to cast 2) and Decoy Totem (able to cast 3)

Now, if any number of any kind of totems are up when I throw out a Shockwave totem, the others all disappear; however, if the Shockwave totem is placed first, then I can place the other totems out up to the number they can have. For example, I can put down a shockwave, then a fireball, then a decoy, provided I do it in that order. Similarly I can do two fireball then a decoy, a shockwave and 2 decoy, a shockwave and a fireball, or a fireball and two decoy (and that one won't matter what order I cast it in, since both have at least 2 provided I cast the last decoy at the end)

I like being able to mix and match my totems, but it seems odd that it works this way, and in this order.

As a general note, I'm finding my fireball totem quite powerful, and I don't really have an enormous amount of support for it (the fire damage passive set around Immolation, Celestial Walker and Amplify (and their related passives), my gear has +5% spell, +12% cast speed). They do still take a few shots to kill enemies but they melt things that don't resist fire quite quickly and even fire-resistant things take a beating (especially once I Elemental Weakness them). Haven't invested in totem passives at all and their toughness is acceptable; they can stand up to a lot of small enemies but stronger things like Hailrake and Merveil tend to blitz them pretty quick.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info