Fire Trap

The manacost and DPS of this do scale pretty badly, as of level 5 it starts to fall behind all the other skills, same with bear trap.

The mana cost of the traps vs the dps is too high, this can be fixed by making them just supportive (not sure of the role they're supposed to play or if they can be mained as a skill yet) and reduce the mana cost, or by just increasing their overall DPS scaling.
-Meteoric Destiny!
I am finding the damage on the trap to not be enough to make it a stand alone staple of a build. In fact on my Shadow I have gone back and basically unlearned all of the talents I took to enhance my trap(s) and ethereal knives and haven't noticed much difference in the damage.

About the only way I use this right now is when I am recharging ES and I have 2 Decoy totems set up and I just sit back and lob 3 of these in the middle then start throwing in Bear Traps as well. Then engage the mobs while Decoy is up and Fire Trap is burning away.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36608
FAQ made through many hours of enduring global chat in Normal

"
DarkWestern wrote:
Not sure if this is fire trap specific, but it happens to me while using it.

upon the level up of this gem all the trap charges get set to zero. Is this intentional? I'd prefer it if they stayed the same.

Not only at lvling up the fire trap gem, but at leveling up any(!) skill gem the fire trap charges are resetted to 0, while bear and conversion trap behavior is normal.
Yeah I had been noticing that as well.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36608
FAQ made through many hours of enduring global chat in Normal

fire trap + lightning strike sometimes causes client crash :/
Love my fire traps, don't know where I would be without them; I use them to soften up enemies before I go for the kill, or to add extra DPS while I attack them in place.
A word to the wise isn't necessary, it the idiots that could use the advice.
Regarding the mana cost vs DPS:

I'm not sure this skill was designed to be used as a primary damage skill. If you search for "trap" in the passive skill tree there are only 6 nodes.

I LOVE this skill on my "sword and board" Ranger :)

I'm in early Ruthless now, and the skill is level 10
41-62 Fire Damage
28.6 Fire Damage / sec for 8 seconds

Mana cost is 27 and I have 270 Mana with 73 Intelligence on an otherwise melee oriented build.

So as a support skill I think the mana cost is very good.

In fact, it is one of the very few "non melee" oriented skills that I have found to add some variation to my character build.

I have tried other AOE blue skills like Frost Wall, Fire Storm... and they tend to be cumbersome to use or less complementary or too draining on mana.

I think it's just perfect as it is. The damage is not insignificant at all, and I didn't find that it scaled badly in Normal and Cruel, so far. The beauty of this skill is that it works over time, thus you can regain some mana after you set up the trap. This works for my melee character because I tend to throw it directly on a mob that is already on me, so I don't waste time trying to lure things to it.

This skill also proved to be essential to my melee ranger when I came across a bear or stone golem with high life regeneration. The only way I could kill them was with proper timing of Fire Trap + active skills + stacking up Viper Strike :)

So in summary, for a toe-to-toe melee build:

* Works great to add DPS while cleaving through a large mob (I imagine sweeping with a two hander would be similar).
* Works great against bosses high life regeneration.

Now for my question:

Do Increased Critical Strikes and Critical Damage blue gems affect the damage over time?
Last edited by DeF46 on May 26, 2012, 7:05:29 AM
If it wasn't intended, and I'm reporting it, I'm going to cry. But that's what Beta is for, right?

Is it intended to allow for more than one fire trap gem to give you a complete set of traps each? I know I run with 2 at the moment, and someone earlier mentioned they used 3.
Kilts for Templars <tm> - Our mission is to replace the ancient Greek toga worn by the Templar with a kilt. It fits the theme of Wraeclast better, and it fits the voice of the Templar.
"
TrueColor wrote:
Not only at lvling up the fire trap gem, but at leveling up any(!) skill gem the fire trap charges are resetted to 0, while bear and conversion trap behavior is normal.

I've just leveled up a bear trap - and its charges were reset to 0, along with the charges of a fire trap slotted in a linked slot, but the charges of yet another fire trap slotted in a different item remained intact.

EDIT: When leveling up a non-trap gem that is in another item from my trap gems, the trap charges remained intact. And when leveling up a fire trap gem in a separate item from my other fire trap and bear trap, only the leveled trap lost its charges. Will Put a trap and a non-trap skill into linked sockets to see what happens then.

EDIT 2: Leveled up a bear in an item separate from other traps - only its charges reset.

EDIT 3: Just leveled up a non-trap skill slotted in the same item (non-linked) as a fire trap, and its charges wer reset.

Conclusion: when levelin up any gem slotted in an item with a trap (including but not limited to that trap), its charges will be reset.
Last edited by Exxar on Jun 1, 2012, 3:24:28 PM
"
Exxar wrote:
"
TrueColor wrote:

I've just leveled up a bear trap - and its charges were reset to 0, along with the charges of a fire trap slotted in a linked slot, but the charges of yet another fire trap slotted in a different item remained intact.

EDIT: When leveling up a non-trap gem that is in another item from my trap gems, the trap charges remained intact. And when leveling up a fire trap gem in a separate item from my other fire trap and bear trap, only the leveled trap lost its charges. Will Put a trap and a non-trap skill into linked sockets to see what happens then.

EDIT 2: Leveled up a bear in an item separate from other traps - only its charges reset.

EDIT 3: Just leveled up a non-trap skill slotted in the same item (non-linked) as a fire trap, and its charges wer reset.

Conclusion: when levelin up any gem slotted in an item with a trap (including but not limited to that trap), its charges will be reset.
When you level up a gem, it automatically takes off the item the gem is placed in and puts it back. You can hear the sound effect of the item being picked up and put back. Any other effects stem from that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info