Righteous Fire

edit: nvm someone already posted a mara build for it =/ don't think they used the vitality though for more regen or considered endurance charges for more regen.
Last edited by soul4hdwn on May 14, 2012, 11:45:56 AM
I'm streaming my RF FP PA witch right now at http://www.twitch.tv/aim1essgun, so if you want to see it there are VoDs.

I suppose this is more Freezing Pulse/Pain Attunement feedback tho, RF is hard to use all the time :)
"
aimlessgun wrote:
It damages your shield before your HP, so chaos damage is less of a concern than... incoming damage in general.

Yeah, either you have to run around with low health and high ES, and get killed by chaos damage, or run around with high health and have a low duration on the skill.

On second thought, this isn't much different than Pain Attunement, apart from needing dousing flasks. Hey, it's not the first time that the developers made a skill/passive that is completely impractical in Hardcore. I suppose that's ok.
"
Neonexe wrote:
Yeah I just toggle my blood magic gem on and off my aura when in areas with chaos damage :/

It's dumb, but there you go.
not only do you lose the benefit of what the build was designed for (pain attunement), but considering this thread is about righteous fire, assuming a player's build was relying on righteous fire, it means they would not be able to use that other thing they specialized in either.

But I don't even think he's talking about pain attunement. I think he's referring to the fact that even at full health a low health build (righteous fire) just doesn't work due to the chaos damage flying around.
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
I wish I had a way to get this gem on legacy league to test some stuff on it...

I feel like it would be an awesome awesome boon to a tank marauder who spec'd in life and life regen and is generally un-killable. It would allow him to actually solo faster and not need a partner to play with...

He would use three skills in conjunction with RF:

Molten Shell: pair it with iron will/concentrated effect for dealing AoE to all the enemies that you let yourself get surrounded by, in addition to the AoE from RF.

Firestorm: pair it with iron will/concentrated effect/life leech to cast on groups of mobs to extend the length of time you can maintain RF, potentially it might let you jump from group to group without having to use a dousing flask to turn it off

Fireball: pair it with iron will/Greater multi projectile to be able to do shotgun blasts to single enemies in front of you for massive damage while RF is running.

And you can do all this while tanking everything with giant HP and giant armor and giant resists!

I like the talk of using ruby flasks to help support the skill. finally somewhat of a use for them, lol.

Only thing that I'd really have to figure out is whether he would use Blood Magic support gems for the skills and use his mana pool for auras, or whether you would actually have to just spec into blood magic passive skill
Last edited by visibiliti on May 18, 2012, 3:58:32 PM
"
visibiliti wrote:
I wish I had a way to get this gem on legacy league to test some stuff on it...
You can probably buy it if you still have some currency in your Legacy stash. Legacy has exactly the same drops, so someone's bound to get it.
"
visibiliti wrote:

I feel like it would be an awesome awesome boon to a tank marauder who spec'd in life and life regen and is generally un-killable. It would allow him to actually solo faster and not need a partner to play with...

Only thing that I'd really have to figure out is whether he would use Blood Magic support gems for the skills and use his mana pool for auras, or whether you would actually have to just spec into blood magic passive skill

I don't really see it myself.

First of all, speccing into lots of health does not help righteous fire — it hinders it. It makes life leech, life gain, fixed life regeneration, and flask life recovery all less effective at restoring health.

Secondly, the blood magic issue would be pretty huge. Using blood magic support is extremely costly, and simply wouldn't be viable at all except maybe for casting molten shell. Using blood magic passive would still be a problem since it would make righteous fire less useful due to all the life gain from skill casting.
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
"
Xapti wrote:

I don't really see it myself.

First of all, speccing into lots of health does not help righteous fire — it hinders it.

Going to disagree here for multiple reasons. Righteous fire has an aoe that does damage based on your life. If you have 2k life that aoe is doing 1k dps to everything near you in addition to the damage you're actively doing.

There's enough % life regen nodes to merit using it with a life build. It won't be taking advantage of pain attunement, but pain attunement isn't taking advantage of the aoe.

It's a skill with a lot of different methods of using it and having a high amount of life is quite far from hindering it. Personally I would say having low life is much more hindering because of chaos damage but once again, it's just different methods.
"
grogor wrote:

There's enough % life regen nodes to merit using it with a life build.

It's a skill with a lot of different methods of using it and having a high amount of life is quite far from hindering it. Personally I would say having low life is much more hindering because of chaos damage but once again, it's just different methods.

I'm not sure if you see the full picture though. Yes having low life is a problem due to chaos damage, but the whole point of having low life in the first place to be able to effectively regain the life lost from the skill.

I don't really see how you would regenerate the life lost from keeping up righteous fire all the time. This isn't something minor like Blood rage — this is 5–6 times more damage than that (with maximum resist)

Right now it's viable if you use the regeneration totem, as someone mentioned earlier, but the regeneration totem is overpowered in itself whether you use it for this, or just use it to be invulnerable.

Your post also didn't cover my second issue at all, which is mana management. You could probably spam molten shell and righteous fire lots, but neither of those are ranged damage, and the DPS isn't too hot. Blood magic would just cut the life pool even more than it's already being stressed. Imagine trying to play a caster with a regeneration of -10–20% mana pool per second — it would be pretty nasty. It's not like tanks can even be invulnerable anymore at high level as far as I know (with maybe the exception of the regeneration totem), so you'd have to still deal with healing enemy attacks, in addition to skill costs and righteous fire degen.
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Last edited by Xapti on May 20, 2012, 10:39:38 PM
It's not a very support gem heavy build if you're going the life variation, so I think mana costs would actually be lower then most builds. So far they're completely manageable for me just with flasks but that could change.

I can't say that life leech mobs are problematic since I took the Bloodless passive in the far lower left.

Fire resistant mobs are problematic. Elemental weakness might get rid of the problem, I'm not sure since I haven't gotten my hands on one yet.

I plan on using multiple projectile fireball later on as someone else earlier in the thread had the same idea for. The plan is to kill a screen of enemies before they kill me and I feel like I'm going to have more then enough damage to do so.

It's kind of like a glass cannon except it can turn in to a wall of steel whenever it feels like doing so. Will it work in merciless? Who knows. Someone's gotta try and I think it will so far.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info