Righteous Fire

Why does righteous fire seem to be the only fire or cold damage over time spell that does not scale with spell damage? It would make more sensethat burning for 90% of your life AND 70% of your ES would actually have a significant benefit. Compare Righteous fire's damage to a similar Fire damage over time spell such as Scorching Ray or the newer Flame Wall, both get damage from spell damage and have no such degen. Let's say you have 10k EHP, that means you burn for at least 7k life/sec in return for managing that extremely punitive mechanic(through mitigation and regen) you get 2k base damage per second that can only be scaled using half the available tools both scorching ray and flame wall have. To express this you can literally plug Flame Wall or Scorching Ray into the slot where Righteous fire was and get better DPS with no degen. The lack of "Modifiers to Spell Damage apply to this Skill's Damage Over Time effect" seems to be an oversight, or a very discouraging design decision especially considering the spell itself increases spell damage. Min/maxxed builds using RF are putting out a staggering 1.5 million DPS...and that's only possible with perfect cluster jewels. Generally speaking you're lucky to break 1 million at the cost of managing a 1k life/sec degen after mitigation. Furthermore, given that you have to be VERY close to monsters to deal damage the damage should reflect that risk.

tl;dr Buff righteous fire damage to enemies and/or nerf RF damage to the player.
Last edited by TyrannicalBearD on Oct 5, 2020, 4:20:33 PM
Is it possible to make the end of the effect due to the remaining 1 HP AND 0 energy shield? For Chaos Inoculation, of course.

In theory, all characters without an energy shield have 0/0 energy shield, so there should be no problem adding this additional end-of-effect condition.
Last edited by esetist on Nov 10, 2020, 12:49:53 AM
1st of all - Righteous Fire doesn't work with CI because it says "stops when player has 1 hp". I know it, i understand why this line makes it doesn't work with CI.

The question is - is there any GOOD reason why it doesn't work tho?
"Oh, it's to stop ppl burning them selfs to death" is not really a good reason - change the line to "stops on 1hp or 0 es if player has CI".
What i mean by "is there a good reason" is - is there any reason from balance point of view why CI players can't have RF? Or it is how it is just because? I couldn't find any reason, especially since LL chars can have it with no problem, so it's not like "too much dmg from RF for too low cost". But that's me - i'm sure GGG guys have spent much more time thinking about this then i did and there's a good reason i just can't see.

So GGG guys, pls tell me that i'm right in my last statement and why it is the way it is.
"
Why does righteous fire seem to be the only fire or cold damage over time spell that does not scale with spell damage? It would make more sensethat burning for 90% of your life AND 70% of your ES would actually have a significant benefit. Compare Righteous fire's damage to a similar Fire damage over time spell such as Scorching Ray or the newer Flame Wall, both get damage from spell damage and have no such degen. Let's say you have 10k EHP, that means you burn for at least 7k life/sec in return for managing that extremely punitive mechanic(through mitigation and regen) you get 2k base damage per second that can only be scaled using half the available tools both scorching ray and flame wall have. To express this you can literally plug Flame Wall or Scorching Ray into the slot where Righteous fire was and get better DPS with no degen. The lack of "Modifiers to Spell Damage apply to this Skill's Damage Over Time effect" seems to be an oversight, or a very discouraging design decision especially considering the spell itself increases spell damage. Min/maxxed builds using RF are putting out a staggering 1.5 million DPS...and that's only possible with perfect cluster jewels. Generally speaking you're lucky to break 1 million at the cost of managing a 1k life/sec degen after mitigation. Furthermore, given that you have to be VERY close to monsters to deal damage the damage should reflect that risk.

tl;dr Buff righteous fire damage to enemies and/or nerf RF damage to the player.

This, it's hard to grasp that RF is only used as support spell to buff spell damage for other builds. a build around RF itself faces so many penalties that other skills are not only easier to build around, also the deal more damage.

Please buff RF damage, make it scale with spell damage, it is a spell afterall.
Very cool mirror Service: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3227915
Congrats on 3.16! You've completely screwed over what was left of RF totems. Hope you are proud of your 'fix' for one spell.

Instead of just making FR not be usable by totems, you nerf RF totems instead. Just peachy.
When I started playing POE about 3 years ago my first build was with RF, ever since I had a RF char every league and the last leagues it´s just feel terrible. the Boss damage is just crazy bad and now with the new nerfs it´s just about the worst Skill in POE, there is absolutly nothing that is positive about RF anymore. I mean why can´t you just make it so that it can scale with spell damage also? IT`S A SPELL!! Some things just doesn´t make any sense with GGG and how they manage to destroy some builds.

GGG have to understand we are all different player and like different skills, basically all skills should be viable to scale to a good level.

They way GGG is working, I get a feeling that they are pushing us to use some specific skills that is to THEIR satisfaction.

I´m really getting tored of this to be honest. I love POE but the ever experimenting with the nerfs and buffs and nerfs again and then ooooohhh let´s buff stuff again it´s just a bit amateur hour for me,
With many skills applying spell or projectile damage to their damage over time effects, is there a reason why Righteous Fire has not been updated to have spell damage modifier apply to it? Given the amount of builds that use RF to power up other spells, I would like to see RF become more developed as a standalone skill.

Incentivize hybrid builds

add % more damage for every x ES and HP you have

ie: 1% more damage for every 200 ES+HP
Player 1 has 10000hp 800es he gets 4% more damage
Player 2 has 400hp 4000es he gets 2% more damage
Player 3 has 3000hp 3000es he gets 15% more damage

Balance as needed, make it a unique or a gem or whatever
Well, someone is asking RF can be used with CI that burn ES but not stopping hp always equal to 1
This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

This is the end of forum signature
Hello,

different feedback here;

I tend to use RF for the spell damage bonus, but the big circle of fire is very distracting when looking for dangers.

id wish for a second trans version to be more focused on the +spell damage aspekt of the skill, and less about the burning people around you, maybe even remove that in its entirety. and just have it as a big degen for damage.

it would be interesting to have it degen even harder, but every 4 second, like the guardian healing.

or as a second solution, allow us to Hide it? or give us a VERY low visual que righteous fire, call it Sin effect or something? like a dark visual, or a bloody visual is nice aswell

thanks for a great game
IGN: Nivius
Ty for scam <3

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info