Portal and Identify Scrolls - Do we really need them?

Do we really need this mechanic?

Really, it's only in the very early part of the game where they honestly matter. By the time you reach the end of normal you typically have a large supply of them. I understand they serve as currency for buying base items from vendors and such, but I can't help but think there might be a better way.

It might just be that I miss gold.

I can say this is a mechanic I did not miss in Titan Quest.

What do you guys think about it?
Make them harder to drop on all difficulties, so they matter more, or remove them totaly.
if they were rarer they would be more valuable, but you can always farm white for scrolls if you are starved for them.
Julius's path of exile wine bundle for mac here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708/page/1
I think I agree that the whole identify thing is kinda strange to begin with. Plenty of arpg's do without it and it doesn't affect gameplay. I'd be ok if they removed the whole thing altogether.

I guess the same applies to the portal scrolls. Just give everyone the power to create a portal at any time, just like Titan Quest.

Maybe the real question is how exact a clone do they want PoE to be? I'm all for shaking some things up, but it seems like there's a lot of resistance on the forums against anything unconventional. I'd really like to see PoE become it's own game, rather than "F2P Diablo". Personally, I'd rather see a Dungeon Siege 2 clone. That game was light years better than Diablo 2, imo.
Tele Scrolls are the most OP items in the game on a PvP server.

But yes I like the current system, it's a lot closer to many other games than you really think at first, take D2 for example, sure it had gold, but the gold was meaningless aside from late game gambling all trading dealed with items anyways. Altho I wouldn't mind some extra recipes to trade in larger amounts of them into something else later in the game.
Winner of the First Ever Cut-Throat Server Test, and Winner of the First Ever Cut-Throat League Event!
Sometimes I think Townportals should not be dropable. Some reasons:

- It would rise the demand for wisdoms (vendor would still sell TPs for wisdoms)
- It would rise the demand for TownPortal Gem
- It would reduce the traveling to town, making the game more immersive in some points.

These are some I could think of
Because life is short, you shall make rains of all sort - Amarena, the Iron Man
-
My IRON MAN witch build video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJOUcu0ioL4
-
Do you want your witch wearing PANTS? check
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/19769
I kind of like the system the way it is, reminds me of playing 'older' games like Diablo 2. The fact that another MMO's don't use this system doesn't really say much, i mean... Most games have in-game gold or currency, rather than a barter economy.
Shoep - Default league Ranger
Peohs - Any other class or character i play.
Jhuvik - My Marauder
Merialeth - My witch
I enjoy picking up rares and not knowing what it does until I identify it. I think it is fun. But to each their own.
I don't mind the identify scrolls so much, but the town portal scrolls are annoying. I'd much rather have a waypoint in each area, even if it meant having to perform an extra task to power it up first (e.g., killing a specific named monster, completing a puzzle).
I'd be happier without them.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info