Portal and Identify Scrolls - Do we really need them?

"
thepmrc wrote:
Identifying items is akin to unwrapping a present. When you find cool shiny rare item, identifying it is a thrill of sorts. Imho, that is really the only reason to keep unidentified items in these games at all.

They are functionally unidentified until you look at them anyway. ID scrolls just prolong this into your inventory... I don't feel that it accomplishes this goal at all.

The important fact is that they can remain unidentified, allowing trades based on gambles. This is worthwhile if certain base item types are rare, or if base item uniques are not shown as unique prior to being identified... AND they'd have to be desirable.

Therefore you'd be gambling on the chance for a great drop from a rare base item...which averages out the price for both the buyer and seller. (if it's a crap item, the buyer would have paid a medium amount instead of a low amount... if it's a great item the buyer would have paid a medium amount instead of a super high amount)
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
I don't like the idea of Identify scrolls and especially Town Portal scrolls, but I can see the use of them for a barter economy.
I think there is a problem with having stats be effected by how many scrolls you use on it. I think it would lead to only 1 of 2 choices, either just use 1 scroll because it isn't close to end game loot, or use the max scrolls because it has high item level & great slots. Furthermore, increasing the quality of the item based on number of scrolls used affects the value of other consumables.

I like the idea of cost to identify items going up as item level goes up. Right click on an item and a small window pops up.
---------------------------------------------
|This item will cost 7 scrolls to identify.
Identify?
[yes] [no]
---------------------------------------------

actually, that could be simplified even further. Instead of putting up a dialog box, just put the number of scrolls required to identify it on the item in the corner. The thing that is even better is that it could be dynamically adjusted based on the number of scrolls currently existing in the economy. Something that affects item quality or stats will be harder to balance and harder to change dynamically. More recipes would be good too.

Sidebar - Another good opportunity for the scroll ID method is to introduce items that bind to the player character upon identification. I think it fails if its done on pick up, but on ID is a different story.
Last edited by sparkle on May 30, 2012, 6:15:11 PM
well i think if you dont like them just dont use them at all, they are there but they are not something that you really needs, i like them, i dont have proplems with them really, so to all those who dont like it, just dont pick up town portal scrolls or idintify scrolls
tho i still thinking identify is a must and towns crolls makes my life easyer when i have to go in a hurry and wants to go fast to the town...
"
GTANJ wrote:
I don't like the idea of Identify scrolls and especially Town Portal scrolls, but I can see the use of them for a barter economy.

Sorry but you dont make any sence really, you dont like Identify scrolls? then what are you doing here?
Identify scrolls are an essencial part of the game, great, the scrolls are removed... what will you use to identify your equipment you just got?, toilet paper?
come on
"
herico33 wrote:
"
GTANJ wrote:

Sorry but you dont make any sence really, you dont like Identify scrolls? then what are you doing here?
Identify scrolls are an essencial part of the game, great, the scrolls are removed... what will you use to identify your equipment you just got?, toilet paper?
come on

I think the point of getting rid of identity scrolls is that items wouldn't need to be identified anymore or you don't need to have scrolls to identify them (a la Diablo 3). I think that, for most games, identity scrolls add nothing to the game except for something else you need to constantly look for. In a game without independent loot, these types of items are a pain in the ass to acquire when playing in a party, especially when playing a ranged class like Ranger (which I'm currently playing). Every time I go for an identity scroll, it's already been picked up. However, I believe in this barter economy that identity scrolls have more value than they do in other games. If that's too hard for you to understand, maybe you shouldn't comment with your wise cracking remarks. I can enjoy this game and still not like the use of identity scrolls. One small annoyance isn't going to turn me off the game.

There's your toilet paper, brah.
"
thepmrc wrote:
Identifying items is akin to unwrapping a present. When you find cool shiny rare item, identifying it is a thrill of sorts. Imho, that is really the only reason to keep unidentified items in these games at all.

This is how I see it, too.

And it adds a sort of gamble because you can sell them unidentified for other shards/recipes.
"That's how you die properly, Sailor Boy.."
"
GTANJ wrote:
"
herico33 wrote:
"
GTANJ wrote:

come on

I think the point of getting rid of identity scrolls is that items wouldn't need to be identified anymore or you don't need to have scrolls to identify them (a la Diablo 3). I think that, for most games, identity scrolls add nothing to the game except for something else you need to constantly look for. In a game without independent loot, these types of items are a pain in the ass to acquire when playing in a party, especially when playing a ranged class like Ranger (which I'm currently playing). Every time I go for an identity scroll, it's already been picked up. However, I believe in this barter economy that identity scrolls have more value than they do in other games. If that's too hard for you to understand, maybe you shouldn't comment with your wise cracking remarks. I can enjoy this game and still not like the use of identity scrolls. One small annoyance isn't going to turn me off the game.

There's your toilet paper, brah.

I agree with people who says it adds a touch of gambling, its a hard game, a game where the strong survives and the weak perish, and you have to high risk for high rewards, i like this game, it has that i-d-k stuff.

I dont like them either, but i acept them as a important part of the game.
"
sparkle wrote:
I think there is a problem with having stats be effected by how many scrolls you use on it. I think it would lead to only 1 of 2 choices, either just use 1 scroll because it isn't close to end game loot, or use the max scrolls because it has high item level & great slots. Furthermore, increasing the quality of the item based on number of scrolls used affects the value of other consumables.

But even if you used the "max scrolls" (whatever that would be) you could still end up with crap, it's just a roll like anything else.

You could waste 100 scrolls just like you "waste" 100 fusings when you don't hit 6-slots.

Not saying your idea isn't good, but it seems like you thought I was implying that you could guarantee your chances of getting a good drop through using more scrolls during identification. If so, that wasn't my idea.
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
"
RodHull wrote:
Basically add ID scroll sinks... which kinda proves the point made in another thread that a goldless system does not prevent base currency becoming worthless...

The main difference is that it's "a" base currency rather than "the" base currency: some people's stashes may be overflowing with wisdom scrolls, but this has no impact on the supply of, say, alchemy orbs, whereas in a gold-based economy it would.

As for the solution of using multiple scrolls on an item: while I like that part of the idea, I'm personally more fond of a different (slightly less all-or-nothing) implementation.
Basically, nerf wisdom scrolls so that they only identify a single affix per use; the item would then display "partially identified" instead of "unidentified". Extend the unwrapping, in other words.
Magic items would "cost" 1-2 wisdom scrolls to unwrap completely, and rare items 4-6.

Ideally, you'd still be able to use partially identified items should you meet the requirements (level might be tricky, as it's not currently displayed on unidentified items), which would bring me to the second tweak: nerf orbs to add unidentified mods rather than identified ones. This makes wisdom scrolls useful in more areas of the economy, and more importantly (in my view) doesn't introduce any unintuitive functionality to wisdom scrolls.
I have wandered through insanity;
I have walked the spiral out.
Heard its twisted dreamed inanity
In a whisper, in a shout.
In the babbling cacophony
The refrains are all the same:
"[permutations of humanity]
are unworthy of the name!"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info