[0.10.4b] Zeus - The Lightning Strike Tank

Inspired by:
Etupz Ek build
Venator's (The Striker)

Intro

Spoiler
Lightning Strike + Resolute Technique + Static Blows + Point Blank + 320% increased Max Life = Zeus.

This is a short-ranged, aura, high armor/hp, shock stacking-tank.

I've come to the conclusion that, in group/map content, there are two types of players.

1) The traditional Lightning arrow/ranged casters player. Stay at a range, do lots of damage, and do not die

and

2) The Tank, or what separates YOU from THEM (them being the monsters and zombies trying to eat your face). Medium to low damage, giant mitgation, defensive auras, and high HP (usually running Kaom's Heart as well, if you can afford it.)

This build is #2.

Pros:
Cheap Gear
Cheap Gems
Not hard to play
Very Tanky
Group utility
You throw f$#@king lighting bolts

Cons:
Not as tanky as other tank builds (EK)
Not as much damage as other tank builds (FP)
Lower DPS the further you are away from harm

The Trees

Spoiler
30 points

65 points

85 points - At this point, only take static blows if you can get your hands on a good % quality added lightning damage, and are able to 5 link it. Otherwise take these 85 points.

109 Points

Level 100!

The Stats

Spoiler
@ level 100
+380 to Strength
+124 to Dexterity
+104 to Intelligence
+92 to maximum Mana
+300 to maximum Life
Evasion Rating: 53
+5 Maximum Endurance Charge
+3 Maximum Frenzy Charge
+3 Maximum Power Charge
5% Additional Elemental Resistance per Endurance Charge
5% Physical Damage Reduction per Endurance Charge
5% Attack Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
5% Cast Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
50% Critical Strike Chance Increase per Power Charge
357% increased maximum Life
3.4% of Life Regenerated per Second
30% increased Effect of Buffs on You
95% increased Armour
10% increased Movement Speed
Converts all Evasion Rating to Armour
15% increased Attack Speed
The increase to Physical Damage from Strength applies to Projectile Attacks as well as Melee Attacks
80% increased Elemental Damage with Weapons
You take 30% reduced Extra Damage from Critical Strikes
45% increased Shock Duration on enemies
20% Chance to Shock the enemy on hit with Lightning Damage
Your hits can't be Evaded
Never deal Critical Strikes
8% increased Melee Physical Damage
+2 to Melee Weapon and Unarmed range
+30% to all Elemental Resistances
18% increased Endurance Charge Duration
Projectile Attacks deal up to 50% more Damage to very close targets, but deal less Damage to farther away targets
+5% to maximum Fire Resistance
+5% to maximum Cold Resistance
+5% to maximum Lightning Resistance
+20.8% Energy Shield
+76% increased Melee Physical Damage
+248 Accuracy Rating
24.8% increased Evasion Rating

The Gems

Spoiler
20% Lightning Strike and 5L is required for this build. If you cannot get a hold of a 5 link, use Bloodmagic keystone to level up with.

Lightning Strike

6L = Lightning Strike + Blood Magic + Life Leech / Life Gain on Hit + Lesser Multiple Projectiles + Multistrike + Weapon Elemental Damage

5L = Lightning Strike + Blood Magic + Life Leech / Life Gain on Hit + Lesser Multiple Projectiles + Multistrike

Other sockets

Enduring Cry + Enfeeble + Conductivity / Projectile Weakness / Elemental Weakness + Faster Casting - Projectile Weakness will give you 100% pierce chance, with 20% Lightning Strike Gem.

Purity / Vitality / Hatred + Haste + Determination + Reduced Mana

Grace + Wrath + Anger + Reduced Mana (Use Blood Magic Robe / Mask)

Blood Magic + Leap Slam / Lightning Warp + +

The Gear

Spoiler

Focusing on Armor and Armor/Evasion Rating gear is the key to great mitigation, with Iron Reflexes.

As for weapons, you want mods in this order:
Prefixes:
Weapon Elemental Dmg +%
Local Physical Dmg +%
Local Min Added Cold/Fire/Lightning Dmg / Local Max Added Cold/Fire/Lightning Dmg

Suffix:
Local Attack Speed +%
Life Gain Per Target
Base Cold/Fire/Lightning/Chaos Resistance %

Best weapons to start with, if you can gather the stats to wear them, are claws. Fast base attack speed, with life leech and the mods above would be ideal, combine that with high HP shield until you can get a hold of a Kaom's Heart and a 5/6 Linked, Armor or armor/evasion chest with HP and at least 2 different types of resists.

After you get a Kaom's Heart, pick up a 6 Linked Lion or Reaver Sword, with the above mods. They should be cheap to grab if you haven't already looted one. Roll that sword until you at least have IAS, WED, and one kind of added elemental damage OR More Physical Damage.

The Bandits
Spoiler
Normal: Help Oak
Cruel: Kill all or help Kraityn
Merciless: Help Oak

Any concerns / suggestions / thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
Last edited by Edzilla on Apr 16, 2013, 6:11:09 PM
Are you sure amplify works with lightning strike ... it's not an area skill?
"
MarlonB wrote:
Are you sure amplify works with lightning strike ... it's not an area skill?

You're right, LS is not an Area skill - just built in LMP. I'll fix that - thanks.
Hi Edz!

I snuck a peak, as I've always had a aoft spot for elemental melee type characters (causing much frustration and calculation through many games, but I'm still at them;)

I'm considering ResTech my self, for at least 2 builds, as I like the idea of making a viable character that does'nt need to stack dex/to hit nodes, can have full focus on the other attribs and nodes/clusters.

What I noticed, is in the stats section, you list Power Charge, and a related +50% crit chance. I 'm pretty new to the game and the forums, so I might be missing something, but is'nt that a (few?) point(s) wasted? As I thought ResTech took away all posibility for delivering crits...?This question is posted by a man who's never even come as far (I think) into the game as to deal with charges, so don't be shocked with surprise if the question itself makes less sense than the glitch (?) I'm trying to critique;)

Anyway, and no matter how your build turns out in the end, I like the initiative. And how better to instigate discussion :) Will keep an eye on this thread, and sev others for pointers, as I'm sooooo far from making a build of my own.

Quite a daunting skill system, and thus rather brave on behalf of the devs to go commercial with.

Cheers all, Perp
Please forgive any grammar/spelling errors in the above post, as not all important norwegian vikings have a life time to dedicate to the study of your soon-to-be-forgotten, so called world language. I never took the slightest interest, myself, not in the language, and certainly never in irony.
"
perpetuum wrote:
Hi Edz!

I snuck a peak, as I've always had a aoft spot for elemental melee type characters (causing much frustration and calculation through many games, but I'm still at them;)

I'm considering ResTech my self, for at least 2 builds, as I like the idea of making a viable character that does'nt need to stack dex/to hit nodes, can have full focus on the other attribs and nodes/clusters.

What I noticed, is in the stats section, you list Power Charge, and a related +50% crit chance. I 'm pretty new to the game and the forums, so I might be missing something, but is'nt that a (few?) point(s) wasted? As I thought ResTech took away all posibility for delivering crits...?This question is posted by a man who's never even come as far (I think) into the game as to deal with charges, so don't be shocked with surprise if the question itself makes less sense than the glitch (?) I'm trying to critique;)

Anyway, and no matter how your build turns out in the end, I like the initiative. And how better to instigate discussion :) Will keep an eye on this thread, and sev others for pointers, as I'm sooooo far from making a build of my own.

Quite a daunting skill system, and thus rather brave on behalf of the devs to go commercial with.

Cheers all, Perp

I use a skill calculating program, it just puts everything that the character could possibly achieve (power charges being one) into the stats from the skill tree. So, it just put it in there by default. This build never will get power charges - just Endurance.

But, if you are new to charges - I suggest you try to get ahold of Enduring Cry. It's a great skill for leveling up, since it gives you a little mitigation and resists to help keep you alive. Since it is low mana too, you can spam it on big packs.
My biggest dilemma at the moment is trying to decide which to run with LS: Pierce, or chain. Pierce with % quality LS will make it pierce 100% of the time, but chain will make the 3 projectiles chain and hitting an additional 1-3 targets, guaranteed. Running both might lower the DPS too low for comfortable. Any thoughts on this?
Your skill tree link doesn't work for me. Check to see if it's correct.
"
kazetsukai wrote:
Your skill tree link doesn't work for me. Check to see if it's correct.

Just now noticed it - must of missed a character after changing it to drop Amplify, sorry! Fixed now.
Doesn't the Projectile weakness give 60% pierce chance? you could use that and chain as a support.
"
Rayezilla wrote:
Doesn't the Projectile weakness give 60% pierce chance? you could use that and chain as a support.

Good point. If people aren't being curse whores in maps :P I added it in.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info