Blizzard Games died yesterday!

Those hardcore gamers that will love D3 may not be found here, just to give you a heads-up. I know you addressed another poster, but the reason why some people here are going around saying how much they hate D3 is because this is very much the "safe haven" or "refuge camp" if you will. We can all congregate here, in a controlled environment, talk about where Blizzard went astray and not worry about the typical Battle.net opposition you'd get.

If a person believes D3 will be great and unchallenged, then our opinions won't matter. If someone is on the fence, there may be some swaying but they'd deduct that this is the POE boards and so go to the BNet boards before making their decision.

Even post release, D3 will be under fire here and this I guarantee you. There is nothing that can be done. I plan to give D3 a fair shake because it may surprise me by at least giving me something to remember it by, and also because I have wanted D3 since 2003 so it is almost like a contractual obligation to myself.

At the same time, you'll see me on these boards a week after talking about the latest in POE.
"
night3dge wrote:
I'm glad that they ran a bublic stress weekend that prooved: servers can't handle the stress... would you, have survived the QQ-ing in forums, if the servers woulda crash on opening day? well... they arestill gonna probably crash, but that's not the point, the point is potatoes:)

They had 300.000 people online on 1 server cluster.
Not to mension one that had never been tested before with so many people.

They are now able to do further adaptations to the servers

Furthermore: On release the game will be split into at least 3 (perhaps even more) different server clusters rather than just this one that was used in the beta.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
Last edited by Tagek on Apr 23, 2012, 11:47:48 AM
"
Tagek wrote:

And again, where did they mock complainers?

EDIT: I get what you meant by unicorns. But honestly, that shit is hilarious.
Instead of being offended by it blizzard came back with the greatest reply ever. What would you have wanted them to say anyway? All they would and could have said was 'I'm sorry, but this is how it is'.

And "We're sorry, but that's the art direction we're going with, and we'll not be changing it. We've chosen it for a variety of reasons, such as [...]" should have really been what they should have said.

You did see the "a unicorn poos rainbows on skeletons" screenshot?

But, okay, I see this needs some explanation. Let's go with your "it's hilarious" sentiment. It implies that you are laughing at something or someone.

Now,
Step one: Fans complain loudly about a change they don't like, and call Diablo III "too colourful".
Step two: Blizzard posts screenshots of rainbows and unicorns instead of taking those concerns seriously and discussing them.
Step three: Everyone laughs at those idiotic customers.

Yes, that's what I'd file under "ridicule". To make some people the laughingstock of others. As a person laughing with Blizzard at the complainers, you're part of the overwhelming majority in that.
You might find the joke Blizzard cracked awesome.

Doesn't make it less of a douchebaggery to those complainers in my view.

To me it looks exactly like that bully on the schoolground who slaps the nerd with his own hand and says mockingly "Why do you hit yourself, huh? Are you stupid?" And everyone stands around and laughs.

Especially when you consider how careful and closed up Blizzard employees usually are when it comes to community relations and disclosure of any information.

But hey, obviously it's just a tiny minority. It's totally okay to kick them. They brought it on themselves when they protested against our infallible decisions in the first place.
12/12/12 - the day Germany decided boys are not quite human.
Last edited by Avireyn on Apr 23, 2012, 11:56:06 AM
"
Avireyn wrote:
"
Tagek wrote:

And again, where did they mock complainers?

EDIT: I get what you meant by unicorns. But honestly, that shit is hilarious.
Instead of being offended by it blizzard came back with the greatest reply ever. What would you have wanted them to say anyway? All they would and could have said was 'I'm sorry, but this is how it is'.

And "We're sorry, but that's the art direction we're going with, and we'll not be changing it. We've chosen it for a ariety of reasons, such as [...]" should have really been what they should have said.

You did see the "a unicorn poos rainbows on skeletons" screenshot?

But, okay, I see this needs some explanation. Let's go with your "it's hilarious" sentiment. It implies that you are laughing at something or someone.

Now,
Step one: Fans complain loudly about a change they don't like, and call Diablo III "too colourful".
Step two: Blizzard posts screenshots of rainbows and unicorns instead of taking those concerns seriously and discussing them.
Step three: Everyone laughs at those idiotic customers.

Yes, that's what I'd file under "ridicule". To make some people the laughingstock of others. As a person laughing with Blizzard at the complainers, you're part of the overwhelming majority in that.
You might find the joke Blizzard cracked awesome.

Doesn't make it less of a douchebaggery to those complainers in my view.

To me it looks exactly like that bully on the schoolground who slaps the nerd with his own hand and says mockingly "Why do you hit yourself, huh? Are you stupid?" And everyone stands around and laughs.

Especially when you consider how careful and closed up Blizzard employees usually are when it comes to community relations and disclosure of any information.

But hey, obviously it's just a tiny minority. It's totally okay to kick them. They brought it on themselves when they protested against our infallible decisions in the first place.

In all fairness, you're assuming they did it to piss people off. In reality, it was a response to exactly what the screenshot held, someone saying diablo 3 looked like 'a unicorn pooping rainbows'.

You are viewing it as some kind of official company response to every single person who disagrees with the art style. (It's not)

EDIT: So basically, it was a response to a few 'trolls' if you will, who were saying what I quoted above.

''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.

Last edited by Tagek on Apr 23, 2012, 12:03:34 PM
"
Tagek wrote:

In all fairness, you're assuming they did it to piss people off. In reality, it was a response to exactly what the screenshot held, someone saying diablo 3 looked like 'a unicorn pooping rainbows'.

Whether they did it to piss people of or to delight others with their subtle wit, they should have (you know, being a big company) known about the possible repercussions. They should also have known the meaning of the word "diplomacy".
edit:There's even a "general rule" in social linguistics that states: What matters is the message as it is received and not its intention.
If I were to respond to every insult or barb levelled against me, I'd act more mature. And I'm not a company.

"

You are viewing it as some kind of official company response to every single person who disagrees with the art style.

Because it was made by official company representatives on the official forums, and found its way into many news articles? How dare I take it for something the company at least allows to happen.

And yes, as someone agreeing with the general sentiment of the complaints (that being that I felt the new art direction wasn't what I wanted), I indeed felt ostracised by that callous comeback.
Last edited by Avireyn on Apr 23, 2012, 12:11:23 PM
"
Avireyn wrote:
"
Tagek wrote:

Whether they did it to piss people of or to delight others with their subtle wit, they should have (you know, being a big company) known about the possible repercussions. They should also have known the meaning of the word "diplomacy".
If I were to respond to every insult or barb levelled against me, I'd act more mature. And I'm not a company.

"

You are viewing it as some kind of official company response to every single person who disagrees with the art style.

Because it was made by official company representatives on the official forums, and found its way into many news articles? How dare I take it for something the company at least allows to happen.

And yes, as someone agreeing with the general sentiment of the complaints (that being that I felt the new art direction wasn't what I wanted), I indeed felt ostracised by that callous comeback.

You're taking things way to seriously.
I'm sorry, but you kind of remind of an old man sitting on his porch yelling 'Get off my lawn, stupid kids!'

It's a little like a christian getting offended by a joke about jesus that got big on the internet.
Ok, you were offended by it, that's how most comedy works, some people fail to see the humour and get pissed off, while most just laugh at the great joke.
The one who made the joke never meant any harm, he just wanted to be funny, and he was.

Not many companies even dare doing hilarious things like this, I applaudd them for making the effort.
It very much reminds me of the time when Yahtzee asked the developers of prototype and infamous to make a picture of the other game's protagonist in girly clothes, and both companies actually did it.

Last edited by Tagek on Apr 23, 2012, 12:20:14 PM
"
Tagek wrote:

I'm sorry, but you kind of remind of an old man sitting on his porch yelling 'Get off my lawn, stupid kids!'

It's a little like a christian getting offended by a joke about jesus that got big on the internet.
Ok, you were offended by it, that's how most comedy works, some people fail to see the humour and get pissed off, while most just laugh at the great joke.
The one who made the joke never meant any harm, he just wanted to be funny, and he was.

Not many companies even dare doing hilarious things like this, I applaudd them for making the effort.
It very much reminds me of the time when Yahtzee asked the developers of prototype and infamous to make a picture of the other game's protagonist in girly clothes, and both companies actually did it.

Ah, I was waiting for that. Would have been too much to ask to for once get a "I see your point".

Just to get it out of the way, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I literally cannot take such things lightly. It's why I usually ask people I have to have contact with to be civil around me.

I cannot abide mocking behaviour, it's one of the things I find worse that physical violence. And it bothers me that people like you (no worries, you're normal, I'm not) apparently cannot get it into their heads that some people are genuinely hurt by such actions and play them off as "D'oh, don't be such a wuss!"

Plus, Yahtzee's example doesn't fit. It was done in mutual agreement and on video game characters, not real people. It could even have a disclaimer reading "No feelings were harmed during the making of this dress."

edit: And Blizzard is a gaming company, not a stand-up comedian. Anyway, thanks for not flat out stating that my point is invalid.
Last edited by Avireyn on Apr 23, 2012, 12:42:54 PM
"
Avireyn wrote:
"
Tagek wrote:

Ah, I was waiting for that. Would have been too much to ask to for once get a "I see your point".

Just to get it out of the way, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I literally cannot take such things lightly. It's why I usually ask people I have to have contact with to be civil around me.

I cannot abide mocking behaviour, it's one of the things I find worse that physical violence. And it bothers me that people like you (no worries, you're normal, I'm not) apparently cannot get it into their heads that some people are genuinely hurt by such actions and play them off as "D'oh, don't be such a wuss!"

Plus, Yahtzee's example doesn't fit. It was done in mutual agreement and on video game characters, not real people. It could even have a disclaimer reading "

First of all, my apoligies, I did not know that.

I do get what you mean, but I'm simply not like that.
A joke is ultimately just that: Something meant to be funny. If you choose to (or simply just do) interpret it as something hurtful then that's a shame, but it doesn't change anything about the intentions of the creator.

I took a better look at it, and found where it originated. It's literally just a post by bashiok in one thread where he photoshopped the hat onto that fat monster thingy, as a joking reply to one of the earlier posts. The unicorn is probably somewhere in the same thread but I cba to find it.

So yeah, some funny, 5 seconds photoshop pictures that just so happen to be made by someone who works for blizzard, that were ultimately taken way out of context.

EDIT: Here's how he posted the unicorn pic:

Bashiok quotes this guy:

Q u o t e:
'The new Cow Level will be the Unicorn & Rainbow Level, at least I hope so :D A colourful and happy unicorn dealing 500-750 damage while braying.'

**And then bashiok replies with the picture:**

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6485/unicornshootey8.jpg

The other one with the hat on the monster was made after someone literally said 'someone needs to fotoshop a blah blah hat on top of it'.

So yeah, it's all taken wayyyyy out of context.

Also nah, yahtzee's competition doesn't fit the controversy, but I just thought it was very relevant to 'developers making funny pictures'.

Last edited by Tagek on Apr 23, 2012, 12:56:55 PM
Nah, no need for apologies, you're quite considerate and civil. But the thoughtfulness is appreciated. It's as I said the fact that some (few) people really are disproportionately hurt by such things. My mother always told be "treat others as you'd like to be treated yourself", and for years, just other people speaking loudly frightened me to tears (well, I was ten at that time ;-)). Silly? If you're seeing it, certainly ;-).

Actually, that unicorn-thing devolved kinda into a elaborate "and while we're at it, here's a unicorn pooping on skeletons. And here's the new Diablo III logo with unicorns!" prank, complete with a mock-class created by a fansite (that's how easily such things can gain a life of their own).

Anyway, I remembered a similar situation with Valve, and I found their solution to be much , much better. They poked fun at themselves:

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=3692&p=1

This might well be what Blizzard intended, but in my view, I really felt roundhouse-slapped.
Well still, both pictures were direct replies on users literally a few posts above bashiok, with the idea of the screenshots already being supplied by the users in question, not by bashiok himself.

Last edited by Tagek on Apr 23, 2012, 1:16:12 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info