This game ruined Diablo 3 for me...

I was told about PoE by a friend a little over a week ago. I shelled out $10 to get a beta key with the thought "This is probably going to be lame, but maybe it'll kill some time until Diablo 3 comes out".

I kept playing the game, and was going on and on about it to friends of mine. They had the same doubts, but gave it a shot and now feel the same way I do.

I don't even look forward to May 15th anymore, I preordered Diablo sometime ago and will probably play it for a bit, but Diablo 3 is now the game that I'll play to kill some time until Path of Exile is released. Curse you GGG!
Last edited by zeto on Apr 30, 2012, 10:54:26 PM
IMO:

PoE is an excellent game, ruined by the orbs and infuriating random (read: usually lose progress) crafting system. Destroys it for me personally.

D3 is an excellent game, ruined by the complete lack of decision making by the player. Level up and the game decides everything for you. "You get these spells, these attributes, and we'll even decide which hotkey/mouse button each spell is mapped to for you". I can't haven't figured out how to remap my hotkeys like in PoE at least.

Mouse button 1 must(!) be your primary skill (which we selected for you). Boggles the mind.

Anyway, Grim Dawn and TL2 will be along soon.
FFA loot sucks.
Last edited by Die_Scream on Apr 22, 2012, 2:47:03 AM
"
Die_Scream wrote:
IMO:

PoE is an excellent game, ruined by the orbs and infuriating random (read: usually lose progress) crafting system. Destroys it for me personally.

To each his own, I personally like the current system. It's not too difficult to make a decent/good item worth using, but to get the absolute perfect item takes a lot of time, effort and luck. I see nothing wrong with giving perfectionist something to strive for. It's also incredibly rewarding when you do get lucky and get the item you were hoping for.
"
Die_Scream wrote:
"You get these spells, these attributes, and we'll even decide which hotkey/mouse button each spell is mapped to for you". I can't haven't figured out how to remap my hotkeys like in PoE at least.

Mouse button 1 must(!) be your primary skill (which we selected for you). Boggles the mind.
Turn on "Elective Mode" in Options->Gameplay, and Diablo 3 lets you control which slot things go in, only caveats being that you have to have unlocked that slot first, and you can't put some non-targeted skills on LMB.

You can also remap the four non-mouse skill slots to whatever keys you want. No idea why they don't let you remap the mouse ones, but luckily I don't want to anyway.
Well just got finished playing a few hours of the Diablo 3 beta and here is my vs. comparison

Graphics- Clear winner Path of Exile, D3 graphics are embarassing.

Gameplay-Path of Exile, much more challenging and fun.

Loot- Path of Exile, D3 is same old boring loot while POE trys something differant.

Story- D3 , but who really cares to read all that gibberish anyways.

Content- D3 has more dungeons and gameplay but what POE offers is of definite higher quality.

Honestly a year ago I would have laughed if u told me this game was going to be better than D3. But it definitely is. Although POE is somewhat a sandbox style ARPG I think the community really needs to get behind GGG and hope this game will become a mainstream hit encouraging DLC and add ons to make this the D3 killer.
"
Story- D3 , but who really cares to read all that gibberish anyways.

To be fair, PoE has a decent amount of story to it. It's just not polished yet. I felt very immersed in PoE's world immediately upon logging in the first time. From what I understand based on developer posts on this forum, when Act 3 is added, some refining will be done to Act 1 & 2's stories. Also, things will feel more alive once they add the voice acting to the dialogue.
"
"
Die_Scream wrote:
"You get these spells, these attributes, and we'll even decide which hotkey/mouse button each spell is mapped to for you". I can't haven't figured out how to remap my hotkeys like in PoE at least.

Turn on "Elective Mode" in Options->Gameplay, and Diablo 3 lets you control which slot things go in, only caveats being that you have to have unlocked that slot first, and you can't put some non-targeted skills on LMB.

You can also remap the four non-mouse skill slots to whatever keys you want. No idea why they don't let you remap the mouse ones, but luckily I don't want to anyway.

Thanks, that's helpful.
FFA loot sucks.
It's the other way around for me.

Loot is not based on a lottery.

You actually have more than one attackskill at the same time, unlike here where you only should use the skill you have most supports for.

Less stupid vendor system.

The game has an AH!!

It has a proper currency, trading is simpler and players can focus on the actual game.

It looks alot better, sounds alot better.

It has real boss fights.

Don't care about the rest of this as it's opinion based and you're also judging a game that isn't complete against one that is... but, what do you mean the loot in D3 isn't lottery based? Of course it is, the stuff you can craft will never be as good as what you can find, and you find things based off of chance, which is a lottery.
Last edited by Wittgenstein on Apr 28, 2012, 12:31:09 AM
"
Die_Scream wrote:
I can't haven't figured out how to remap my hotkeys like in PoE at least.

You can remap all your skills in D3. Blizzard put a lot of work into making it so grandma friendly that it's as unintuitive and inconvenient as that bloody Microsoft ribbon.

GGG, your system for doing it works so much better. I'm glad you didn't have the extra hundred million bucks to spend on focus groups comprised of people who's sole experience with computers is facebook and webmail.
After leveling all D3 chars to level 10, for me it's pretty obvious that both games have their ups and downs.

I see no reason to pick one over the other, they shine in different areas.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info