[3.13] Storm Brand Necro. Retired no longer. All content viable and Whiskey Proof™

We are theorizing about next league, right? So we should include Spell Echo Support in our cast speed calculations, right?

I stuck an 18/0 Spell Echo in my PoH last night and ended up with an in-game stat of 133% increased cast speed without Arcane Surge or frenzy charges. So doesn't that mean we'd be getting 4 brands per cast at about 1.4 seconds total? Not sure about overall build viability one way or the other, but SE definitely helps us produce brands a lot faster than we're currently doing it.

As for mana sustain, what about Cinderswallow?
Last edited by WorderMostFoul on Jun 4, 2020, 12:15:17 PM
"
We are theorizing about next league, right? So we should include Spell Echo Support in our cast speed calculations, right?

I stuck an 18/0 Spell Echo in my PoH last night and ended up with an in-game stat of 133% increased cast speed without Arcane Surge or frenzy charges. So doesn't that mean we'd be getting 4 brands per cast at about 1.4 seconds total? Not sure about overall build viability one way or the other, but SE definitely helps us produce brands a lot faster than we're currently doing it.

I'm with you regarding the 1.4 second calculation. It's still long to cast midfight though.

For mana sustain, I would add Cinderswallow for mapping and Disciple of Kitava for bossing (no switch, just having both all the time).
Last edited by Rootsmann on Jun 4, 2020, 12:23:20 PM
"
Rootsmann wrote:
"

I'm with you regarding the 1.4 second calculation. It's still long to cast midfight though.

For mana sustain, I would add Cinderswallow for mapping and Disciple of Kitava for bossing (no switch, just having both all the time).

Whoa, had no idea Kitava's Teachings even existed. Why are we not using this already??
"
Dmillz wrote:

How is this possible? Even at a measly 2 casts per second it would only be 1.5 seconds and you should have quite a bit more cast speed than that since the base cast speed on Storm Brand is 1.3/s and we get a moderate amount of cast speed from the tree and Ascendancy.

I was giving it the ol "one one thousand" count, so it is up for debate on the exact cast time, but it is definitely over 2+ seconds to get 3 brands out with Spire. That is at the start of the map. If you have frenzy charges up it will obviously be faster. The problem is we can not rely on frenzy, etc for phased boss fights or zoning / etc. So we have to go from worst case scenario.
"
I was giving it the ol "one one thousand" count, so it is up for debate on the exact cast time, but it is definitely over 2+ seconds to get 3 brands out with Spire. That is at the start of the map. If you have frenzy charges up it will obviously be faster. The problem is we can not rely on frenzy, etc for phased boss fights or zoning / etc. So we have to go from worst case scenario.

With no frenzy charges and no flasks at the start of a map in PoB I have a cast speed of 2/s. Also what you're missing is that we get 2% cast speed for every corpse we've consumed recently which is a really large boost that will be up all the time, probably around 30% (15 corpses) on average.

What do you guys think about using Crown of the Inward Eye and replacing The Crusader on The Stampede with another annoint like Mana Flows? Only downside is balancing resists. Or replace Spiritual Aid with Mana Flows. You lose about 5% damage (lol won't even notice) and get a nice chunk of mana and regen.
IGN: Dmillz
Last edited by Dmillz on Jun 4, 2020, 1:46:11 PM
"
"
Dmillz wrote:
"
Edit: Spell Echo is more cast speed...so maybe this wouldn't actually apply to brand activation frequency?

Echo almost 100% will only apply to summoning the brands, they will not get the cast speed. It's increases and reductions, which does not include MORE multipliers.

That's fine we already have Pledge, 3 brands in a single cast makes it probably manageable. Just make sure you run a single mana flask.

Worst case just drop a Fevered Mind to lower the cost a bit or only run RF for bosses and not mapping since mana management on a boss is really easy.

I am going with the fact Archmage Brand is gonna be dead. Brands can remain on the floor for 10 seconds. Brand Recall no longer resets that. So you have essentially 10 or less brand recalls before you have to re-cast brands. With Brand Recall being 1.43 seconds, you have essentially 7 seconds of up time on your brands. It takes 3 seconds to cast 3 brands. So if we stagger our brands to get the most effectiveness, we have 7 seconds of actual dps before we have 3 seconds of recasting. This remind you is only for 3 brands. If we want to use 6 brands (or 2 casts) we would want to cut the 10 seconds in half and cast ever 5 seconds, which means we have 2 seconds of dps and then 3 seconds of re-casting.

The only way this works is if you can keep the brands jumping mob to mob. If we can do that we have 1.43 seconds on brand recall, which gives us 10 seconds on the ground for approx 14.3 seconds of dps. If we apply the same math as above, we have 11.3 seconds of dps with 3 seconds of casting with 3 brands and 8.3 seconds of dps with 6 seconds of casting with 6 brands.

Now keep in mind that Brand Recall also saps your mana, so does MoM. There is no way to keep this up unless you run a mana flask and even then it will be iffy. To top it all off, you have to stop every 4.2 seconds to cast 3 brands which means alot of standing around and zero WW time. This build is going to feel clunky AF.

-Brand recall has an unattached duration of 27 seconds and attached one of 13. We are necros stacking skill duration, not hieros stacking CDR. Casting once every 30 seconds for 1.4 seconds to gain 4 brands is doable. My current notes are updated in the original post.
Brands don't snapshot so just swap to a CwC linked brand, spin to cast, then swap back for the linked damage. Replace Conductivity for Brand Recall so you can drag your brands around while you map. Don't see much reason to have Conductivity while mapping since AM/SB hits so hard anyway. Stop every few packs and swap/spin. Swap Conductivity back in for bosses (or don't, it's 12% dps so it's not the end of the world). Put fortify on your CwC stick so that you can maintain fortify when recasting brands.
"
lect84 wrote:
Brands don't snapshot so just swap to a CwC linked brand, spin to cast, then swap back for the linked damage. Replace Conductivity for Brand Recall so you can drag your brands around while you map. Don't see much reason to have Conductivity while mapping since AM/SB hits so hard anyway. Stop every few packs and swap/spin. Swap Conductivity back in for bosses (or don't, it's 12% dps so it's not the end of the world). Put fortify on your CwC stick so that you can maintain fortify when recasting brands.

Archmage cannot support triggered spells, so unless I'm completely misunderstanding your suggestion, it's not a viable one.

(Or I'm missing your sarcasm.)
Last edited by WorderMostFoul on Jun 11, 2020, 10:27:14 AM
"
"
lect84 wrote:

Archmage cannot support triggered spells, so unless I'm completely misunderstanding your suggestion, it's not a viable one.

(Or I'm missing your sarcasm.)

One weapon is your archmage linked one, your swap weapon is just your cwc linked one. Storm Brand must be in the same spot on both weapons. When you swap brands you have casted won't disappear. Since storm brand does not snapshot, once you switch to your main weapon the gem won't be trigger linked and archmage will support it. Archmage support doesn't stipulate about Mana spent, just Mana cost of the spell (unlike arcane cloak).
Honestly all that swapping sounds heinous to play and not at all worth it.

I do agree that slapping Fortify into the CwC setup and self casting the curse or triggering it another way is the way to go.
IGN: Dmillz

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info