GGPK Defragmenter

"
Chris wrote:
"
tpapp157 wrote:
"
Zoxc wrote:
What does GGPK stand for? :)

My guess is something like Grinding Gears PacKage file.

Good Game, Player Killer.

LOL I was thinking that same thing

should have been

.ggezpk

haha

oh the nostalgia d2 days....
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym
Last edited by monkuar on Mar 4, 2013, 11:49:00 AM
Excellent tool - I got a very noticeable decrease in area loading times after using this and using Defaggler on my POE directory.

Out of curiosity, is the content.ggpk file compressed in any way?

The reason why I ask is for people with lots of RAM and are using NTFS. If the content.ggpk file is not compressed, or minimally compressed, we can turn on NTFS file compression. This would result in (paradoxically) faster reads and writes, because the system needs to read fewer blocks to get the same amount of data.

One may argue that compression and decompression has an overhead, which hits performance. That is true, however with modern computers, the overhead from compression is so minimal that the benefits of reading the data faster are larger than the potential performance hit.
how do I use this? when I open the program it brings up cmd for a second then closes I cant read the one line of text it shows.
"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
"
fortyb4five wrote:
how do I use this? when I open the program it brings up cmd for a second then closes I cant read the one line of text it shows.

read page 2 of the thread
"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
fortyb4five wrote:

read page 2 of the thread
Thanks but I figured it out. reading the first comment page I thought a had to go into the registry or something.
"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
Been using this along with defraggler's 'defragment file' feature after every patch and my game stays nice and silky smooth. My machine is pretty terrible but I rarely notice any load lag at all.
"
Sachiru wrote:

The reason why I ask is for people with lots of RAM and are using NTFS. If the content.ggpk file is not compressed, or minimally compressed, we can turn on NTFS file compression. This would result in (paradoxically) faster reads and writes, because the system needs to read fewer blocks to get the same amount of data.

One may argue that compression and decompression has an overhead, which hits performance. That is true, however with modern computers, the overhead from compression is so minimal that the benefits of reading the data faster are larger than the potential performance hit.

The kind of data that's in most game pack files will not compress well, so this is not really recommended.
"
fourthx wrote:
"
Sachiru wrote:

The kind of data that's in most game pack files will not compress well, so this is not really recommended.

I beg to differ.

LUA scripts, being simple text files, model data and bmp images as game content tend to compress very well.

However, because most game pack files are compressed before disk storage and decompressed on the fly because of the very reason I stated, compressing them further with NTFS's compression results in performance penalties because it has to do the compression and decompression twice. This is the reason why people say that game pack files do not compress well; it's because they are already compressed to begin with via a common algorithm, and compressing them again is pointless.

The reason I'm asking this is to get a clear answer from the devs if they compress the file internally, in which case NTFS compression is moot, or if they store it uncompressed, in which case we can see the benefits.
This tool is really good. It only shaved ~60MB off of my content.ggpk, but loading times are definitely better now. Switching areas is much smoother. I have 2 WD Black series HDD in raid 0, if that info is worth anything for anyone.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info