[3.16] Coldslinger | Vortex | Creeping Frost | League Start | SSF | CI/LL

Im not a very experienced player but I'm interested in playing this for league start on Friday. Is there a 3.13 LL PoB for endgame? or is it the same as 3.12.

Thanks!
Shavs variant with 3mil dps should be legit good for all content.

Yes self cast can get higher dps but most of the time you wont have the perfect scenario to get your 5mil dot rolling because you have to handcast most of your debufs or use unreliable ways to trigger them. Spellslinger version has 2,8 million without frostbomb which you should be able to consistently apply to bosses because everything is conveniently automated. You usually do not need more dot dps to kill anything in the game anyway.

You can always switch to volatile dead spellsinger if you really want to play an expensive and OP endgame build

Edit: Keep in mind OP didnt check a single bullshit box on PoB to artificially increase the tooltip damage. 3mil is legit.
Last edited by Zerber on Jan 13, 2021, 12:12:47 PM
"
heishe wrote:
I don't actually know about this build specifically, but all other spellslinger builds I've seen were like this: The self-cast versions are better, just feel worse to play.

The added wand-based damage from spellslinger usually isn't enough to make up for the difference of having one more multiplier from the extra link and lacking damage auras.

I would bet that you're just seeing PoB shenanigans. But who knows, maybe someone else can chime in who actually played both builds.

The Vortex itself is self-cast (ie, it's a full 6-link not triggered by spellslinger) so my assumption is that the damage of this build should be pretty much the same as the standard vortex builds.

The spell slingers just add a lot of extra damage and utility (creeping frost, hypothermia, etc) and allows the vortexes to be triggered on top of the frostbolts.

Haven't really played it myself - but that is my takeaway from research.
"
Deausx wrote:
Hey dude, just wanted to cheer you on! I've been looking at ~10 builds or so over the past 48 hours trying to figure out what I want to play, and this thread really sold me on trying a cold based occultist. I think the last Occy I played was when Bane was released!

But I love the witch's VA, I love the occultist theme, I love cold damage. I'm a rubbish player but I still enjoy the game, so I really appreciate players like you who put this stuff together for the rest of us! This looks super fun to play and I'm looking forward to playing it. Your act by act breakdown is amazing. Exemplary work!

Thank you!! Hope you have a good time and good league start!

"
LesserForms wrote:
Thanks Clyde.
I'm not planning to go LL, as I will re-roll the build to be a curser for party play. I just need it to complete the atlas :)

I will probably go profane bloom for the map clear. If everyone ends up finding out the new path is better, It's cheap to change a few ascendcy points. Can I by any chance add you in game if I have any questions?

All the best. good luck on league start and thanks for the amazing work.

Gotcha, you'll be perfectly fine without dual curses + Malediction- just play a little more cautious and side-step things rather than ram your head into a wall. It's easier said than done for me, so I prefer tankier options.

Absolutely, anyone is free to add me in game and ask me any questions directly- you'll probably get a much faster response that way anyways!

"
DyslexicEvo wrote:
"
Clydehart wrote:
"
DaMeeps wrote:
Can I use Power Siphon instead of Frenzy without hurting the build much? (I prefer the MTX lol, also culling strike is nice)

Yeah, you're actually in luck- the 3.13 version is going to be using Power Siphon instead of Frenzy now anyways!

that frees up a gem slot so i dont have to use gmp/lmp but are we going to have a way to get frenzy charges cause my attack speed in heist felt so bad unless i had the frenzy charges.

I find that the aps is okay without Frenzy/Frenzy charges (although not as smooth for sure) so long as you have an imbued wand. If you don't have an imbued wand, it feels pretty bad. Make sure you grab Wandslinger for 9% increased attack speed and some pretty good damage nodes.

"
Bizzlington wrote:
As someone running PoE on a potato PC - how does this build perform in terms of FPS and such?

I always avoided VD/DD slinger because a lot of people had issues with freezing and fps lag, etc.
Is it something I need to worry about?

Honestly, I can't say how it'll be. It'll probably be better than VD/DD just because of the shear quantity of rendered things in VD/DD versus this build. I ran it on a laptop with a 980M and kept consistent 60 FPS if that helps at all?

"
TzmFen wrote:
"
heishe wrote:
"
Pastillage wrote:
So how well does this build (leaguestarter version) deal with bosses, I'm a bit unsure at the moment still.

It's in the same spot as chaos slinger for EDC. It'll be perfect for white and early yellow maps, but you'll want to switch to selfcast after that, the damage difference is quite large.

I took the build with budget gear to Tier 16 in heist.. perfectly viable with mediocre to bad gear

Boss dps is okay on the budget variant and very good on LL. Keep in mind, the POB for the budget variant is extremely budget. It'll be very easy to upgrade beyond what the POB is within a day or two of league-start. I'll be posting a video showcasing the Budget option on T16 with a 5L Vortex setup later today.

"
Zerber wrote:
Shavs variant with 3mil dps should be legit good for all content.

Yes self cast can get higher dps but most of the time you wont have the perfect scenario to get your 5mil dot rolling because you have to handcast most of your debufs or use unreliable ways to trigger them. Spellslinger version has 2,8 million without frostbomb which you should be able to consistently apply to bosses because everything is conveniently automated. You usually do not need more dot dps to kill anything in the game anyway.

You can always switch to volatile dead spellsinger if you really want to play an expensive and OP endgame build

Edit: Keep in mind OP didnt check a single bullshit box on PoB to artificially increase the tooltip damage. 3mil is legit.

"
Bizzlington wrote:
"
heishe wrote:
I don't actually know about this build specifically, but all other spellslinger builds I've seen were like this: The self-cast versions are better, just feel worse to play.

The added wand-based damage from spellslinger usually isn't enough to make up for the difference of having one more multiplier from the extra link and lacking damage auras.

I would bet that you're just seeing PoB shenanigans. But who knows, maybe someone else can chime in who actually played both builds.

The Vortex itself is self-cast (ie, it's a full 6-link not triggered by spellslinger) so my assumption is that the damage of this build should be pretty much the same as the standard vortex builds.

The spell slingers just add a lot of extra damage and utility (creeping frost, hypothermia, etc) and allows the vortexes to be triggered on top of the frostbolts.

Haven't really played it myself - but that is my takeaway from research.

Both of these statements are correct and why this build is very comparable (if not stronger) than self-cast variations. It is far less clunky and more sustainable damage (no need to position yourself, self-cast curses, or use cyclone + cast while channelling).
Coldslinger: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2797749
Hi Clydehart, amazing build guide! I am 100% going Cold Dot Occultist for my league start, and seriously considering the slinger version since I have already played the self-cast variant.

My main question is how does your version compare to Matth's? I've glanced at both POB's and they look very similar, but he uses Vaal RF in all iterations of his build. Is your build more survivability? I don't really trust PoB numbers for dmg since I know there are a lot of tricks (checkboxes) people use to inflate. The DPS is his top-end LL build is 4.5 mil without RF active. Thank you!
"
Cripple13 wrote:
Hi Clydehart, amazing build guide! I am 100% going Cold Dot Occultist for my league start, and seriously considering the slinger version since I have already played the self-cast variant.

My main question is how does your version compare to Matth's? I've glanced at both POB's and they look very similar, but he uses Vaal RF in all iterations of his build. Is your build more survivability? I don't really trust PoB numbers for dmg since I know there are a lot of tricks (checkboxes) people use to inflate. The DPS is his top-end LL build is 4.5 mil without RF active. Thank you!

Thank you, I appreciate that! If you're dead-set on Cold DoT Occultist, I would highly recommend at least league starting this variant and transitioning to self-cast if you prefer that playstyle. I personally prefer to be a potato and press 1 button while I play. I hate the concept of flasks and 2-button builds

They're the same concept, but different ways to play. His variation is built around speed, and mine is built around not dying to a feather duster (but also slower). If you're good at dodging things, you can afford to have less ES and focus on damage/speed. I personally don't think RF is worth the socket slot. It gives a pretty good damage boost, but only for 4 seconds. On average, it'll take you around 30 seconds to kill a juiced Mino on the LL version. VRF is only worth using if it makes the difference in cheesing a boss in my opinion. Hope this helps!
Coldslinger: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2797749
"
Clydehart wrote:

I hate the concept of flasks and 2-button builds

So do I !

If you have ideas of build mono-button, feel free to share ;-)

I always want to try something else but I always come back to play trigger build or summoner ah ah
"
Clydehart wrote:
"
Cripple13 wrote:

Thank you, I appreciate that! If you're dead-set on Cold DoT Occultist, I would highly recommend at least league starting this variant and transitioning to self-cast if you prefer that playstyle. I personally prefer to be a potato and press 1 button while I play. I hate the concept of flasks and 2-button builds

They're the same concept, but different ways to play. His variation is built around speed, and mine is built around not dying to a feather duster (but also slower). If you're good at dodging things, you can afford to have less ES and focus on damage/speed. I personally don't think RF is worth the socket slot. It gives a pretty good damage boost, but only for 4 seconds. On average, it'll take you around 30 seconds to kill a juiced Mino on the LL version. VRF is only worth using if it makes the difference in cheesing a boss in my opinion. Hope this helps!

Thank you for the reply! I really enjoy the SS mechanics (I played VD/DD SS necro in harvest) so I really want to try to gear a Coldslinger as much as possible and push all content. I'm not afraid to farm and with Harvest crafting back I think it will be a lot easier to craft a decent wand on the cheap. Good luck with your league start!
How much budget is this build to free solo 100% deli maps? Thanks!
"
teromin_ wrote:
How much budget is this build to free solo 100% deli maps? Thanks!

Took me like 100ex for easy clear T18 100% 10mod Map

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info