Mercs?

Do you want Mercs in Path of Exile?

Yes
19350.79%
No
11630.53%
Don't Care
7118.68%
I liked mercs in other games but really any benefit they add to your questing could be balanced out without mercs as well, even if GGG just added them on top of the current system it would only seem really great at first, once the newness wears off it just becomes the new norm.

What I think would be much more fun is adding mercs that offer functionality (at some kind of cost maybe). Someone suggested they could see a greedy exile following you around for loot, well how about a follower(merc) that acts as if your grouped, so even when you play solo if you dont pick up loot before the timer wears off hell snatch it up and do a little nanna nanna boo boo stick your head in doo doo dance, the upside of having the greedy little bastard around could be that he can function as a vendor or bank wherever you are so you can really cash in on all that loot without feeling like you have to run to town every five minutes. Bettter yet let him just pick up anything that lies around for a bit and automatically cash it out for you :) (ok that might be going a bit too far).
Last edited by Tinwood on Sep 19, 2012, 2:49:30 AM
Or how about scout that does nothing but fill in the map for you as you stand still or increase your map view. He could also pinpoint rares and bosses for you. Downside could be he has to be paid or that your map develops a blind spot in your immediate area.

Or a professor that identifies items for you as they drop and can call out if a chest/rock/cairn contains something worthwhile before its opened, downside could be he calls dibs on all scrolls that drop (id, portal) or that he walks around slowly so you cant just blaze around.
"
wxyjac wrote:

gameplay wise it's harder to say. But I am totally in for the idea of a person following me and using the skill combo I set up on his chest piece. Though that might sound more like a follower, or sidekick.

that's why I prefer the PET idea more than a Merc / Hirelings

the idea of a Pet can easily be integrated into the game

heck, you can even use existing in game animals & creatures and turn them into a PET after a Quest or something

or like how it was implemented in some other games, you catch the creature you want to train as your PET, and battle with it into submission, then it'll work with you until it dies, at which point you can do some other quest of find a recipe to revive it,

or catch and train another pet from scratch

and i like your idea of being able to give a Gem or two to the Pet so it can use that skill for battles
Last edited by AllGamer on Sep 19, 2012, 11:06:35 AM
"
Tinwood wrote:
the upside of having the greedy little bastard around could be that he can function as a vendor or bank wherever you are so you can really cash in on all that loot without feeling like you have to run to town every five minutes. Bettter yet let him just pick up anything that lies around for a bit and automatically cash it out for you :) (ok that might be going a bit too far).

I'd very much like that idea

this will also solve the too much white / blue loots laying around the map, as another topic complained about http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/50756

Last edited by AllGamer on Sep 19, 2012, 11:43:38 AM
The idea alone isn't that bad as I liked mercs in d2, but I just don't see anything like that in PoE. Most people would probably run around with mercs completely ignoring the multiplayer aspect of the game, I mean it's so easy to find party with real people even now in beta, what's the point of mercs?

I hope you don't think about playing in party with both 5 people and their mercs, there's already large enough crowd even with only one summoner in party, don't need more AIs jerking around thinking they know what they are doing. Besides, there is no money at all, how would you pay your mercs... :P

They could make some pets available in cash shop for additional space and picking items when you are playing alone. But hey that's just my opinion
"
Tinwood wrote:
I liked mercs in other games but really any benefit they add to your questing could be balanced out without mercs as well, even if GGG just added them on top of the current system it would only seem really great at first, once the newness wears off it just becomes the new norm.

What I think would be much more fun is adding mercs that offer functionality (at some kind of cost maybe). Someone suggested they could see a greedy exile following you around for loot, well how about a follower(merc) that acts as if your grouped, so even when you play solo if you dont pick up loot before the timer wears off hell snatch it up and do a little nanna nanna boo boo stick your head in doo doo dance, the upside of having the greedy little bastard around could be that he can function as a vendor or bank wherever you are so you can really cash in on all that loot without feeling like you have to run to town every five minutes. Bettter yet let him just pick up anything that lies around for a bit and automatically cash it out for you :) (ok that might be going a bit too far).

I didn't read it earlier, this is actually great idea :)
Did any one ever hear back from the DEVs?

to see if this idea might or might not get implemented?
Pls don't implement it. Either play with people or play lonewolf but i don't think that another NPC (another exile??) following you around like a dog will add anything to the experience.
We have kiwis for that matter.
--EDIT1: i make a lot of typos--
--EDIT2: english is not my native language--
Voted yes but only in a limited manner. I would prefer them to be more like D2 mercs (can give them some armour and a weapon), die easily, costs to resurrect and provides one useful skill.
"
Sir_LogiC wrote:
Voted yes but only in a limited manner. I would prefer them to be more like D2 mercs (can give them some armour and a weapon), die easily, costs to resurrect and provides one useful skill.

That's what I'd like to see
Last edited by AllGamer on Sep 27, 2012, 4:31:52 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info