Will post logical puzzles for a beta key.

"
I always find a paradox interesting. My high school freshman English teacher actually told me this one: If God is all-powerful, and has the ability to create anything, can God create an object that it cannot lift?

This question is, in itself, a logical fallacy. God, if he/she/it exists, is completely outside the confines of the Universe, and any laws of space, time, or physics within.

Therefore, creating a physical object that has to be moved through space and time by forces within the universe, is not something that can be used to compare the ability of an outside being. One might be tempted to say "no, he can't create an object too massive to control, and so therefore is not all-powerful," but that again is using the faulty logic of a being within the Universe. Being able to create an object too massive to control does not denote absolute power, since we are dealing with an external being manipulating an internal environment.

In this respect, being all-poweful means being able to manipulate any object, no matter the size, as "size" (or mass of any kind) becomes insignificant, and simply does not matter the way the human mind is used to it mattering.
Invited to Beta 2012-03-18 / Supporter since 2012-04-08
"
Ropal wrote:
I have one puzzle blu, if you don't mind.

Joe lives by the beach, he returns home at night after work and procedes to turn off every light in his house, when he wakes up, he looks at the beach and finds a lot of wreckage and bodies scattered across its extent.

Where did Joe live?

I love this one. Lateral Thinking books are awesome. And to the OP, awesome riddles, man! :D

Here's a good puzzle, if anyone is interested:

Farmer Bickinops looks out his window. He sees four sheep standing outside, in such a way that each sheep is the exact same distance from every other sheep.

They're not standing in a square/circle, as the sheep across corners are further away than those adjacent to them. They're not standing on top of each other, because the top sheep is obviously a lot closer to the one immediately beneath it than it is to the ones below. And yet they are all standing on the ground, grazing like usual, and maybe even starting to wonder why the farmer is staring at them.

How is this possible?

**NOTE** I do not have an extra key for anyone who answers this question. I did, but had my own thread on that subject. This is just in case someone wants a cool puzzle to figure out. One of those things that's obvious when you know it, but you'd be surprised how few people figure it out.
Last edited by VideoGeemer on Apr 11, 2012, 12:10:40 AM
Second Riddle: 5252 nickles

Fifth Riddle: A secret
Answer to puzzle 4, he was standing on top of an ice cube
"
VideoGeemer wrote:
"
Ropal wrote:
I have one puzzle blu, if you don't mind.

Joe lives by the beach, he returns home at night after work and procedes to turn off every light in his house, when he wakes up, he looks at the beach and finds a lot of wreckage and bodies scattered across its extent.

Where did Joe live?

I love this one. Lateral Thinking books are awesome. And to the OP, awesome riddles, man! :D

Here's a good puzzle, if anyone is interested:

Farmer Bickinops looks out his window. He sees four sheep standing outside, in such a way that each sheep is the exact same distance from every other sheep.

They're not standing in a square/circle, as the sheep across corners are further away than those adjacent to them. They're not standing on top of each other, because the top sheep is obviously a lot closer to the one immediately beneath it than it is to the ones below. And yet they are all standing on the ground, grazing like usual, and maybe even starting to wonder why the farmer is staring at them.

How is this possible?

**NOTE** I do not have an extra key for anyone who answers this question. I did, but had my own thread on that subject. This is just in case someone wants a cool puzzle to figure out. One of those things that's obvious when you know it, but you'd be surprised how few people figure it out.

The sheep are standing in the form of a tetrahedron, so there would be like a tree trunk or a cliff that one sheep stands on :D
This is a BETA people, it's for SUGGESTIONS and REPORTING BUGS
I posted the first response winners for all of the puzzles from last night. Good job to everybody else who figured them out as well. I also added the puzzles from others that I liked. Good luck to everybody else on these. I'll add some more of my own once I get a chance.

"
VideoGeemer wrote:
"
I always find a paradox interesting. My high school freshman English teacher actually told me this one: If God is all-powerful, and has the ability to create anything, can God create an object that it cannot lift?

This question is, in itself, a logical fallacy. God, if he/she/it exists, is completely outside the confines of the Universe, and any laws of space, time, or physics within.

Therefore, creating a physical object that has to be moved through space and time by forces within the universe, is not something that can be used to compare the ability of an outside being. One might be tempted to say "no, he can't create an object too massive to control, and so therefore is not all-powerful," but that again is using the faulty logic of a being within the Universe. Being able to create an object too massive to control does not denote absolute power, since we are dealing with an external being manipulating an internal environment.

In this respect, being all-poweful means being able to manipulate any object, no matter the size, as "size" (or mass of any kind) becomes insignificant, and simply does not matter the way the human mind is used to it mattering.

Your observation is accurate, that is a flaw in my example. However, I don't think your analysis is 100% accurate. I used God as an example merely because God is a popular figure, but it is merely a placeholder for a hypothetical being. However, if you replace him with a more tangible figure, than my paradox still apllies. Remember, the notion of being all powerful is only applied to the ability of strength and force (moving the object). The notion of creating anything is only applied to ability of creating an immensely heavy or dense object. In this example, these attributes are mutually exclusive.

For example. Make the hypothetical being instead the offspring of Hercules and Dumbledore. Then, having our universal forces applied, this paradox is better represented. Of course, this paradox is never meant to be looked into too deeply, but more to encourage constructive thought. In reality, an object too massive can implode on itself, creating a black hole, and an object too forceful might give off a magnetic field too strong to allow anything near.

Regardless, your point was though provoking. Thank you.

*EDIT*
Also, I'm surprised nobody has attempted to solve arjunzv8's puzzle yet. It is a good one. Keep trying on VideoGeemer's as well. It is also a clever one.
*EDIT*
Last edited by BluLightSpecial on Apr 11, 2012, 1:44:47 AM
"

Sixth Puzzle (By arjunzv8):
"3 prisoners (lets call them X, Y & Z) who are being punished are buried neck deep in sand in a straight line such that
1. X cannot see anyone.
2. Y can see only X.
3. Z can see both X & Y.

A hat is placed on each of their head but they cannot see the hat on their head and they cannot speak to each other.
They are informed there are 5 hats of which 3 are Black and 2 are White. Out of these, 3 are selected and placed on each of their head. They have one try to guess the color of the hat on their head, if they guess correctly, they will be set free.

In this particular case the hats were placed as stated below
1. X has white hat
2. Y has black hat
3. Z has black hat

One person guesses correctly. Who and how?
Do assume all the prisoners are smart, this is important."

y, if z is looking at x and y with 1 hat white and 1 hat black then he has a 50% chance, y can thenassume after a bit that his is not white or z would of spoken up... best thing i could come up with?
"

Your observation is accurate, that is a flaw in my example. However, I don't think your analysis is 100% accurate. I used God as an example merely because God is a popular figure, but it is merely a placeholder for a hypothetical being. However, if you replace him with a more tangible figure, than my paradox still apllies.

Agreed. However, you did say, specifically, God. :)

If you refer to something else which is said to be incredibly powerful (as in your example of "Dumbules," as I shall call him), but still exists within the confines of the universe, then yes, the paradox does become applicable. :)

"
In reality, an object too massive can implode on itself, creating a black hole, and an object too forceful might give off a magnetic field too strong to allow anything near.

Regardless, your point was though provoking. Thank you.

No prob, man. Thank you for creating a thread for intellectuals in a gaming forum. :)

What you say about mass is true, and just shows that you think these things through more fully than a lot of people I've known, hehe.

"
*EDIT*
Also, I'm surprised nobody has attempted to solve arjunzv8's puzzle yet. It is a good one. Keep trying on VideoGeemer's as well. It is also a clever one.
*EDIT*

And I'm not sure if it's because this is the internet, or because he had prior knowledge, but rtbchef actually was right. The reason given is that the middle sheep is on a hill in the middle of the meadow (must be a pretty steep one), but a tree stump could also work.

I ask this question a lot, because it seems so obvious as soon as you think of it geometrically, and yet I've never had anyone in person answer it correctly. There's one guy I should still try, because he's very intelligent, but you'd be surprised how intelligent minds can somehow not think about it in that way. :)
"
Sixth Puzzle (By arjunzv8):
"3 prisoners (lets call them X, Y & Z) who are being punished are buried neck deep in sand in a straight line such that
1. X cannot see anyone.
2. Y can see only X.
3. Z can see both X & Y.

A hat is placed on each of their head but they cannot see the hat on their head and they cannot speak to each other.
They are informed there are 5 hats of which 3 are Black and 2 are White. Out of these, 3 are selected and placed on each of their head. They have one try to guess the color of the hat on their head, if they guess correctly, they will be set free.

In this particular case the hats were placed as stated below
1. X has white hat
2. Y has black hat
3. Z has black hat

One person guesses correctly. Who and how?
Do assume all the prisoners are smart, this is important."

I'd rather say that Y has the biggest chance of guessing correct, he sees that in front of him is a white hat, therefor 3 black and 1 white remains.

I don't know if 1.2.3. is the order the hats are set on, but if it is it should be like that. After Z sees the middle had being placed there are only 2 black and 1 white left making it 66% he gets a black, but Y had a 75% guess on it.

I was hoping for a 100% answer though ^^ hopefully it will come up allthough I hope I'm correct ofc xP
Statement to the Train-to-kill-the-girl riddle:

the point is, i cannot know what impact it would have to kill this girl. Cause if this girl might turn out to be a great leader or philophist or perphs scientist, that might cure cancer or something, killing her would be a greater loss to the overall good of people.

but since i cannot know this, killing 1 instead of many is the only logical choice.

Now there is the problem of setting my own logic and decisions above the live of others. Do i have the right to make that decision?

As stated, there is no true answer to this question ... i could try to keep the switch in the middle, so the train cannot go one or the other way, leaving its tracks, just to kill me instead of anyone else.

Statment to the nickle in a jar:
after putting 1 nickle in the jar, its no longer empty, so 1 is the answer

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info