Will post logical puzzles for a beta key.

So I've been looking into this game (especially the ticker) all day in between writing an essay, and now that I have more spare time, I figured I would try to up my chances of having one bestowed upon me. I am a philosophy/political science major with some logic and ethics skills. To entertain you, I will recite some puzzles, riddles, or maybe some thought provoking questions/statements in the hopes a generous person will send a key my way.

I should also add that this beta key is for me, and then I'm planning on buying my friend a $10 pass if I have one so that we may play together. I just don't currently have $20 to spend on a video game right now (especially one that is still currently in beta and will eventually be free), because college starves my wallet.

I'll continue to leave any additional puzzles on here even after they are solved, and I'll just add ones on to my original post over time. Cheating is pointless as there is no reward for the right answer. These are just to test yourself and see if you can figure them out.

First Puzzle: *Winner: arjunzv8*
You are in another dimension. This dimension is solely made up of one emotionless and empty room, except for two doors, two stone guardians, and a sign in the center. Each door lies on the opposite end of the room from the other door, each with its own guardian. One black, one white. You approach the sign in the center of the room, and it reads: "You are in a state of limbo, but there are two connecting dimensions. One of these doors leads to the dimension of Good. The other door leads to the dimension of Evil. One Guardian always speaks the truth. The other Guardian always speaks a lie. You may ask one question to only one Guardian, and they can only respond once 'Yes' or 'No.'"

Not knowing which door leads to good, nor which guardian is honest, you begin to think of what question you could possibly ask that would point you in the right direction.

Second Puzzle: *Winner: Ropal*
You are the first astronaut sent to Mars. Once you arrive, your primary mission is to scout out a distant area. After driving a great ways on your rover, you arrive at the destination and begin to scout and collect Mars rocks in a bag to bring back and study. Suddenly, a dust storm starts kicing up all around you, blowing away your map and causing you to lose all signals, rendering you lost. Considering Mars has a relatively featureless surface, your only hope of finding your way back is to use your compass. Upon pulling it out of your pocket, you realize that you cannot drive, hold the compass, and hold the rocks. So you set your bag down and begin to drive directly North for 10 miles. With your shuttle nowhere in sight, you change directions and then drive exactly West for 10 miles. Still, not seeing your shuttle, you drive directly South 10 miles. You look around once more, and then astonishingly, you see your bag of rocks right next to you.

You are back where you started. How is this possible?

Third Puzzle: *Winner:arjunzv8* *Movie Reference: fedea1234*
A well known one. If you know the answer already, then just state the movie that it is from. You have a five gallon jug, a three gallon jug, and a pool of water. Without using anything else, how do you get exactly four gallons?

Fourth Puzzle: *Winner: OverDeep was first but GodOnlyKnowsThis had the exact answer. Honorable mention to JewSanta for a literal answer*
A detective is investigating a death. At the scene, he witnesses a man hanging from the ceiling over a puddle of water with no furniture in the room. There are also no windows or doors nearby the hanging man. How did he die?

Fifth Puzzle (By Ropal): *Winner: arjunzv8*
"Joe lives by the beach, he returns home at night after work and procedes to turn off every light in his house, when he wakes up, he looks at the beach and finds a lot of wreckage and bodies scattered across its extent.

Where did Joe live?"

Sixth Puzzle (By arjunzv8):
"3 prisoners (lets call them X, Y & Z) who are being punished are buried neck deep in sand in a straight line such that
1. X cannot see anyone.
2. Y can see only X.
3. Z can see both X & Y.

A hat is placed on each of their head but they cannot see the hat on their head and they cannot speak to each other.
They are informed there are 5 hats of which 3 are Black and 2 are White. Out of these, 3 are selected and placed on each of their head. They have one try to guess the color of the hat on their head, if they guess correctly, they will be set free.

In this particular case the hats were placed as stated below
1. X has white hat
2. Y has black hat
3. Z has black hat

One person guesses correctly. Who and how?
Do assume all the prisoners are smart, this is important."

Seventh Puzzle (By VideoGeemer):
Farmer Bickinops looks out his window. He sees four sheep standing outside, in such a way that each sheep is the exact same distance from every other sheep.

They're not standing in a square/circle, as the sheep across corners are further away than those adjacent to them. They're not standing on top of each other, because the top sheep is obviously a lot closer to the one immediately beneath it than it is to the ones below. And yet they are all standing on the ground, grazing like usual, and maybe even starting to wonder why the farmer is staring at them.

How is this possible?

First Riddle: *Winner: fedea1234*
Poor people have it. Rich people want it. If you eat it you will die.

Second Riddle: *Winner: arjunzv8*
How many nickels can be put into an empty gallon jar?

Third Riddle: *Winner: GodOnlyKnowsThis*
What is thrown out when used and brought back when done?

Fourth Riddle: *Winner: Bosovski*
What falls but never breaks? What breaks but never falls?

Fifth Riddle: *Winner: abringus*
When you have it, you want to tell a friend. But if you do, then you will lose it.

An ethical question with no true answer:
Utilitarianism: To serve the greatest good for the greatest amount of people. If you agree that all actions should be based on this, would you act upon it? Hypothetically, imagine there is an out of control train headed towards a switch. On it's current path, it will fork left into a residential area filled with 100 adults that will end in their demise. The right fork leads to a young girl stuck in the tracks. If only you have control over the switch, would it be so easy to change its course to kill the girl?
Last edited by BluLightSpecial on Apr 11, 2012, 2:59:16 AM
What is the twilight zone?
"Is this statement false?"

hmmm maybe its a stupid question but my english is bad, golems can answer only "yes" or "no"?
"
iqtiq wrote:
hmmm maybe its a stupid question but my english is bad, golems can answer only "yes" or "no"?

Good question. Correct, they can only answer "Yes" or "No".

Also, don't forget that you can only ask one question. You also don't know which guardian is in front of which door.
Ill try it, dont lough at me please :] i will asc a white guard"Are you black guard guarding the right doors?"
Ehm maybe ask one if this is the right door what would the other one say or something like that.
"
iqtiq wrote:
Ill try it, dont lough at me please :] i will asc a white guard"Are you black guard guarding the right doors?"

Good effort, but they can only answer one question.
"
kn0ckkn0ck wrote:
Ehm maybe ask one if this is the right door what would the other one say or something like that.

Same thing as above, they can only answer one question.
Actually "Are you black guard" isnt a question its just a name, maybe i just wrote sentence wrongly, it will be better to asc "Do you black guard guarding the right doors?" its same as ascing "Hey John are you going to somewhere today?"
Damn sorry for my english its rly bad...

If he answers Yes it means that he lies becous hes a white guardian and if he answer No it means that hes not lieing
Last edited by iqtiq on Apr 10, 2012, 12:08:01 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info