Cyclone

"
Cudez wrote:
At the moment it seems that the skill is completely unplayable unless you get Soul Taker.

Why is this? Base mana cost is too high.

Without Blood magic I have mana cost of around 100mana per swing making that 200mana per second. Totally undoable non-int melee classes imo.

With Blood magic the cost doubles upto 400 life per second. Skill totally unplayable like this.

I have been playing with 4-5k life, 7-9% life leech and 6l.

Just my thoughts.

Best
Cudez

i agree with this post 100%. Melee skills should not have a high base mana cost since most melee struggles with desync/close ranged to begin with.

this is why skills such as Double Strike or Molten Strike are so popular with the players -they are cheap and reduce the need for BM or Costly Uniques.
Last edited by phaenx on Jun 25, 2014, 9:11:01 PM
I think cyclone's targeting scheme is fundamentally flawed and cyclone should never lock onto the enemy target location. For example in the piety fight, if you (accidentally) click on piety and she teleports away simultaneously, you will cyclone all the way across the screen to her new location instead of where you clicked (this may be partly due to server/client sync issues, and I always shift-click). I think the movement should target to where I clicked on the client side, not where the enemy target currently is/was on the server. This way even if there's desync issues, at least my character will not be locked into a painfully long cyclone animation for several seconds while slowly drifting across the screen (due to low movement speed).

This issue is pretty easy to reproduce if you have negative movement speed and try to fight any teleporting enemies. I've never experienced this much frustration with any other skills in the game. Unless if I'm misunderstanding something about cyclone's mechanics, I sincerely hope enemy target locking will be removed.
"
phaenx wrote:
"
Cudez wrote:
At the moment it seems that the skill is completely unplayable unless you get Soul Taker.

Why is this? Base mana cost is too high.

Without Blood magic I have mana cost of around 100mana per swing making that 200mana per second. Totally undoable non-int melee classes imo.

With Blood magic the cost doubles upto 400 life per second. Skill totally unplayable like this.

I have been playing with 4-5k life, 7-9% life leech and 6l.

Just my thoughts.

Best
Cudez

i agree with this post 100%. Melee skills should not have a high base mana cost since most melee struggles with desync/close ranged to begin with.

this is why skills such as Double Strike or Molten Strike are so popular with the players -they are cheap and reduce the need for BM or Costly Uniques.

Actually, when used PROPERLY, cyclone doesnt have so absurd mana cost as it seems. Mana cost is spent only once per skill usage, and you dont spend any mana while actually cycloning. So, if you click at a point 20 metres away and cyclone through a pack, you will have enough time to recover mana spent back.

However, all said above is true only if desync isnt there. When we put desync into equation, it completely ruins that way of using cyclone, making it impossible to use cyclone as intended.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Jul 5, 2014, 6:58:47 AM
can't you make cyclone so that you "cyclone" arround obstacles? basically just how run from A to B while your character automatically avoids everything that blocks his way?? for example if your in a room and want to go through the door your can just click behind the wall, with cycline you have to aim for the door and then move arround the corner... this change would prevent lots of desync i think and also you dont get stuck in walls or obstacles
ign: ALLRAUDER
"
can't you make cyclone so that you "cyclone" arround obstacles? basically just how run from A to B while your character automatically avoids everything that blocks his way?? for example if your in a room and want to go through the door your can just click behind the wall, with cycline you have to aim for the door and then move arround the corner... this change would prevent lots of desync i think and also you dont get stuck in walls or obstacles

+1. just use the movement code
studying for GGG's C++ technical exam...
Wow, a year has passed and Cyclone is still fucked.
Guess it is hopeless to wait till devs get their hands into fixing it...
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
I haven't read through all 120-something pages so forgive me if this is completely irrelevant.

I have played a cyclone build for many months, so I feel like I have sufficient experience with it to suggest some potentially helpful changes. However, some of these changes will require a complete rework of the skill itself, therefore I have no delusions that they are THE fix. It is up to GGG to determine how they want their skills to work.

First, allow characters to cyclone in place.
Spoiler
There are a few ways this can be achieved I am sure, but this will allow us to continue dealing damage, cc'ing, leeching, ect... while we are unaware that our character has come to a dead stop and is standing still while mobs beat our brains in.

I noticed this while playing a WW barb in diablo 3. I began playing D3 again so that I might try to figure out why D3's whirlwind presents almost no noticeable synchronization issues. What was obvious right off the bat is that your barb will continue to whirlwind until you let go of the button or run out of fury. Getting stuck on a rock, doorway, or wall did NOT prevent you from attacking.

This does not actually "fix" desync, but I think many people would agree that if desync did not cause so many deaths or near-deaths it would be less of a game killing experience.

Now, I realize that in order to make this happen it would change the way that cyclone currently functions and GGG may not be ok with that. I am really not qualified to say what will work and what will not, but as it is wrong to provide feedback with no ideas, here is what I came up with:

- Make cyclone a channeled ability. Change the mana cost to mana per second while button is held. This is pretty much how Whirlwind works in Diablo 3. Again, I don't presume to tell GGG that they should just copy what Diablo 3 is doing. I am just throwing ideas out there.

- Put cyclone on a timer. Similar to how bladestorm worked in WoW. Once you activate cyclone, your character will spin until the time expires, in which case you will have to pay the mana cost to cast it again.

Second, get rid of some of the ground clutter.
Spoiler
I am sure this has been suggested numerous times, so I will just add my support to it. The less stuff we can get stuck on, the fewer the desyncs. Simple as that.

If GGG is unwilling to get rid of any ground clutter, maybe cyclone could be granted immunity to SOME of the things it normally gets hung up on.

Third, allow cyclone more chances to sync with server.
Spoiler
Presently, it seems like you can only /oos about every 10 seconds which is not even close to enough when using a skill like cyclone. Perhaps something along the lines of syncing the client to the server at the end of every cyclone would allow us to become instantly aware that we are stuck on a wall.

I don't know what kind of stress this adds to the servers but I DO know that if we have to stress the servers or pay for more bandwidth or however all this black magic works, that only doing so for certain skills will soften the blow. I also don't know if something like this is even possible. Again, just tossing ideas out there to try and help fix my favorite skill.

So, as my luck would have it, I am sure all of the above has already been suggested and considered. If that is the case, then just consider this as me agreeing with them :)

And now for the shameful part...
You don't need to see this
Please, for the love of God and country, fix this game destroying issue. I swear I'll be good. I'll never go out with Madonna again. I'll clean the rain gutters. I'll be nice to your mother. I'll rub your feet EVERY night...

-Dragon
DISCLAIMER!
The views and expressed opinions of Dragon are solely those of a drunken redneck and are not necessarily those of a sane person. Any likeness of intelligence is strictly coincidental and should not be taken seriously. His posts should not be read... by anyone.
Ok, this is strange attempt at fixing desync. instead of actually fixing it they're making it so you can't use Multistrike with this skill. I didn't use it, noone else probably used it because of massive desync, but this is not the way to fix desync with cyclone.

the info is from patch notes that will be released shortly or you can check them here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14JM-RjYcgQ9MZeELGlVQ1DVd4owBI41cH7X_XShtvew/preview?pli=1&sle=true
IGN: FoughtBledAndWeptForGod, WoE_HitoZ

stream: http://www.twitch.tv/hitokirizoro
Last edited by Pivovar on Aug 19, 2014, 4:18:35 AM
I nominate Cyclone for "Only use skill while holding button" and "Uses mana per second".

1 second animation, loop and repeat if still holding the button.
Yet another person here who wishes cyclone could move around obstacles. :( I don't have too many desync issues but it is a pain, and before I got my blood magic/life on hit combo it was a huge pain and I lost TONS of mana to it.

One way to alleviate these issues would be to have mana cost scale based on how far you travel during the cyclone/how long the cyclone lasts, instead of the current flat cost per cast.
and in that moment, i swear we were desync
Last edited by SkyPiglet on Aug 26, 2014, 1:38:10 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info