Cyclone

Fun skill, but...

1. Stops in corners or near walls - annoying as hell
2. insane mana cost if linked to three support gem

First problem should be fixed fast .

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYADkgRlha_F9gc3B4aJDwmlSepKCowVDZCNns4G0k7SVFMsVM1VUtabV76YeJirGo_bWxte3BScNV_xofbjDaP-pMnmVedo52qpn-nNKdcqBquz7GztKO1SMBR0DnWneOE647tQfF28-r8q_-T

So here's my idea:

I love working with Cyclone, but I have a hard time controlling direction and the time spent per cyclone instance.

Ideally I'd be able to drag a path that my character would follow in cyclone.

Thanks
The desync on this skill is brutal and has gotten me killed frequently. At times i'll be spinning around a group and they take no damage then i resync and boom all the blue mobs that have been hitting me kill me. It seems worse on this skill as this skill leaves you in the middle of everything.
cyclone is desyncing like mad since the patch.. almost unplayable
ign: reidan
"
prospecial wrote:
i started with poe 4 weeks ago and i play a cyclone coc discharge as my second char
i think its a really cool skill

desync isnt much of a problem for me (i rarely have it, but far more often than the rest ^^)
dmg is ok, even if dont cast discharge
while running that skill and hitting enemies i am pretty much invincible

the handling is sometimes difficult, because you cant just change the direction will "cycloning" with another cyclone
you go straight to where you have clicked ^^
also i am sometimes stuck at really tiny obstacles that i cant even see when enemies are around
so this and the desync, that would be my critics

I used to try this, but desecrate with detonate dead cast together with Cyclone proved to be more efficient and durable.

Maybe not "as much" damage as discharge, but still.

I'd love to have people recognize my new build idea, but apparently I get no help in forums anymore.

So if anyone cares to listen to a nice build idea here is the link:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/791372/page/1/#p6868922

(The Valley Of Death build)

Apparently people are too lazy to read a small thread these days and the "extra info" in the thread was not needed to be read it was just extra.
this skill on it's own seems nice and fairly balanced BUT

there is a support gem called multistrike. now attacking 3 times for reduced damage works just fine for most skills (here is where the bold underlined "BUT" comes in) multistrike also increases the attack speed of the effected skill by a minimum of 88%. cyclone does a series of attacks based on your attack speed in an area.

currently i am using a 2 handed axe with a base attack speed of 1.18 (standard is 1.10, i think, but this one has a decent attack speed enchant on it) i also have exactly one passive skill that grants 3% attack speed. my attack time on my standard attack (no skills used) is 0.76 seconds. my attack time with my multistrike cyclone is 0.33 seconds (2.98 attacks per second) ON A GIANT TWO HANDED AXE. with one of my builds that actually focuses on attack speed it would probably be very easy to reach over 4 or 5 attacks per second. with the addition of a single damage on full life support gem this attack easily outdoes the DPS on my single target double strike skill (both are roughly equal level).

the ONLY thing that keeps this combo from being completely broken is how it is almost guaranteed to desync the game and refuse to do damage after only a couple uses. on most rare monsters (yellow with names) a single attack is likely to end them and they almost never survive more than 3, many unique bosses can be torn apart in less than 30 seconds. god help them on the few occasions when i crit. while this combo does require a large quantity of mana to cast (77 mana on my current build) this is easily mitigated by a small amount of damage to mana (2% makes it easily manageable, 4% makes the mana cost irrelevant as long as there is something to hit).

i have a total of 5 passive skill points dedicated to increasing my weapon damage, besides the strength points i have collected just getting around the tree (130 strength total at level 48). my primary focus has been investing in increased life and life regeneration, but this build still out damages my dedicated damage builds.

i think something probably needs to be done to nerf this combo or possibly even disallow it's use. this damage capacity is so far beyond any of my other characters that it is absurd.

my attack speed increase on this skill currently is 198%. i run up to enemies and simply set my character on "frappe".
Last edited by blinkinn on Feb 15, 2014, 6:33:48 PM
"
Quantume wrote:
(2) Now that we can spin stationary, we have a problem with the cost trigger.
This is why the cost should be changed from "cost per cast" into "cost over time".

Please no. I vote against this.

Lower the cost if you must, but don't change the mechanism. That's likely going to be a nerf to effective damage for both normal AND coc builds without most people realizing it. Just build for sustain.
Toupy - Lv93 Facebreaker Cyclone Duelist
Last edited by Myrthr on Feb 16, 2014, 9:29:39 PM
Hi everyone.
So, i've been wondering: how many hits (those, which determines life gain on hit, for example) per second cyclone really do?
The wiki says: "Cyclone spins at your attack speed and deals AoE damage twice per spin".
I understand this as it performs one spin per "attack" time, listed on the skill (like, 0.24 seconds), and performs two AoE hits per spin. So it effectively doubles your number of hits per second.
As we know, the Double Strike skill performs two hits in one attack as well.
Is it correct to assume, that cyclone does the same number of hits per second as double strike does (putting aside it's inherent attack speed bonus)?
I've been testing this matter for a long time but still cannot anticipate it properly, so i came here for an advice. Sorry if this matter was already discussed, I couldnn't find any info on this.
ING: Valhaal
you answered your own question. cyclone is basically a movement and AoE version of double strike. it hits twice a second, and constantly attacks during its travel at a rate of attack speed.
"
Quantume wrote:

(1) First of all, remove the forced "room to move" requirement
(unable to cast unless direct proximity has enough free room).

Activating cyclone should make your char spin, no matter where or how you stand, or what is in your way.

Can't agree more, with this we can stay alive longer till next /oos is available, 10 seconds cooldown is just too long when the skill desyncs with EVERY spin.

And if desync can't be fixed (which is a known fact), GGG please make a built-in resync hotkey.

If you didn't add the hotkey for some "integrity" reason, and we don't want to risk our account with using third party macros for the same reason, then the skill will keep being unusable and it is not our fault.
You won't have my gear.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info