Cyclone

Cyclone is unplayable!

This is my Cyclone:

UNPLAYABLE!
I died more then 5 times today because of desync! I lost my complete EXP from hours playing!

GGG, PUT THIS SKILL OUT OF THE GAME OR FIX THIS!

I start Cycloning, i cyclone direct in a group of monsters and NOTHING happend!
I know i have a desync now, but i can't do anything against it, because i CANT STOP this skill!

I am realy pissed about GGG!
They dont say anything about the desync!
Will they fix it?
Can they fix it?
When do they fix it?

I think about to leave the game, i don't spend all my currency for respecing the whole charater!

At the moment i changed to Spectral Throw, 2500 DPS...:( That sucks!

I had a good time, but GGG adds Skill after Skill after Skill in every patch.
The add Unique after Unique after Unique in every patch.

But do they fix the PoE-Killer? NO!
while people rage (no offense), i too have a bit of desync but it never became a bother because i'm always going in two directions only. its my alternate "oh shit" button for my highest lv dualist that also uses cleave [life leech + blind], which i noticed seems to have a melee splash based effect built into it... which reminds me of closed beta.

my only complaint is with where the game lets a player click to start activation. currently/still, the best spot to click on screen (or off screen!) is the diagonals. however the upper portion of the screen is further away and thus lasts longer. if you try to click directly below you, the player will only move a tiny distance. alternatively and oddly, if you "push" the mouse further away from the game's screen size on the top, you can reach full distance as one of the diagonals. i say it is the same because i'm on a widescreen based monitor, so "some" top diagonal spots won't activate. so currently i have this oval shaped targeting circle that has the center fairly low to the bottom. it grows uncomfortable at times.
tiny AoE, insane mana cost (cant even afford cyclone unlinked - maybe it gets better with more dmg+mana leech?).
Perma-desync

looks good, feels terrible using it -> You really should work on the 2 main problems: desync and mana cost
Long time reader first time poster...long time player. I love the hate this skill gets, if you want to live with a cyclone you must first hit the enemy you want to kill with a spectral throw or firestorm or EK. Something needs to prove to you that there is actually an enemy there first before you throw yourself at an enemy with no way of stopping. Dont use multi-strike, and I use cast on crit with a voll's protector and discharge all over the f-ing place. Its greatest asset is the fact that it can disconnect from the server and let you get out of a swarmed pack and discharge along the way. With great power comes alot of bullshit but its totally managable.
i started with poe 4 weeks ago and i play a cyclone coc discharge as my second char
i think its a really cool skill

desync isnt much of a problem for me (i rarely have it, but far more often than the rest ^^)
dmg is ok, even if dont cast discharge
while running that skill and hitting enemies i am pretty much invincible

the handling is sometimes difficult, because you cant just change the direction will "cycloning" with another cyclone
you go straight to where you have clicked ^^
also i am sometimes stuck at really tiny obstacles that i cant even see when enemies are around
so this and the desync, that would be my critics

I feel the range of cyclone is too limited, especially after the introduction of melee splash.

1h weapon with a shield say, double strike link with melee splash, has a much greater aoe over cyclone. plus quality and max level melee splash offers far more benefit over say increased area effect gem. max level melee splash adds dps, while increased AOE doesn't!

2ndly, cyclone doesn't work well with multi-strike and melee splash (even worse if both are linked), the desync is just enormous!!!

3rdly, cyclone restricts ur freedom of movement a lot, and a lot of the time you spin in the direction away from the mobs, and since cyclone radius is so small (no im not gonna use increased AOE gem to reduce my already low dps), you miss a lot of your hits. with double strike or frenzy, i can leap slam between mobs, or just short walk to them, and gain much more precision in which mobs i hit. with melee splash linked, i get far more aoe hits on DS and Frzy.

I have been using double strike and frenzy a lot on my ranger months before, and after using cyclone in the last few weeks, i definitely feel cyclone is the poor cousin.
IGN: AchiLize
Achi's Quality Shop https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/602552
Hey guys,

I myself have had a different experience with Cyclone. I use to pay double strike and melee splash and found that cyclone was better as your constantly moving. I have cyclone linked with the following:

cyclone (high q) + concentrated effect, blood magic, melee physical, LGOH (or added fire)

This runs me 8.5 k with LGOH (what I usually prefer on 70+ maps and
10.5 k dps with added fire (maps below 70)

Running Multi-strike on cyclone is a terrible idea. It increases dysnc and takes away your "spin" control from your character. So when you dysnc...you don't even have an idea where you are.

The only way I found cyclone as being viable is high dmg output and not focusing on aps as it seems highly correlated to dysnc. Besides that .... with 14% leech and lgoh..tanking 70+ bosses is relatively easy.

Ya mutlistrike just destroys you with desync, I used to use it but recently switched to concentrated and my DPS even went up a bit from 15k to 16k, although now I am forced to use bloodmagic, because without MS my mana leech doesn't gain enough back to constantly cast the skill despite it using less mana then with MS.
Endgame Items shop +gems+unis++
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/622864

Killing double 78 courtyard boss solo
http://www.twitch.tv/nick20404/c/3381198
used cyclone a bit more and in theory I still like it a lot.

BUT mana cost are so insane high cant even really afford a 3 linked cyclone without lower mana problems 4L or more just isnt possible to run for me atm.
And I die AT LEAST 1 time per hour because of desync wich means I loose all my XP at a certain lvl.
getting XP at higher lvl with cyclone is just not possible - imho this skill is unplayable
Last edited by azraelb on Jan 18, 2014, 9:27:37 PM
"
Quantume wrote:
Got my first cyclone (2h mara) to lvl 40 and instantly got hit by the main problem:
This skill needs serious mechanical improvement.

It shouldn't be even hard to redesign this skill:

(1) First of all, remove the forced "room to move" requirement
(unable to cast unless direct proximity has enough free room).

Activating cyclone should make your char spin, no matter where or how you stand, or what is in your way.

Currently even clicking on targets that surround you at point blank cause the skill to be blocked, due to desync, and this unnecessary requirement of having a few feet of room to move.

Once this requirement is removed and we can spin freely, and hit what's around us, even though the screen shows us something else. A big step towards debugging the skill and making it much more reliable, away from being such a horrible death trap.

(2) Now that we can spin stationary, we have a problem with the cost trigger.

The suggestion above can make us burnout all mana in a second, or in most cases (BM) kill us.
This is why the cost should be changed from "cost per cast" into "cost over time".
I think the default channeling duration could be around 2 sec, 3 sec with slower builds and gems, and 0.5 sec with speed builds. In other words cyclone casting time duration can be modified with attack speed and redu/inc duration gems. Movement speed has no effect on it.

As the gem is atm, it needs a cost nerf, or else nobody would be able to run it with support gems. Maybe down to 10 mana at gemlvl 1 and 30 mana at gemlvl 20. Ballpark figures.
This would keep it balanced, by compensating for cyclone being channeled so often for short periods of time.

(3) The cosmetics, animation.

Granted, spinning like a blender next to a boss, totally stationary, looks stupid as fuck.
To prevent or minimise this negative effect, the animation will have a following priority check list:

A) If there is room around the target, move around it clockwise.
Remember, cyclone is now channeled, so it doesn't matter how often you click the skill, the cost stays the same. Clicking the skill again however, makes you spin the other way around the target, in this case counter clockwise. This keeps things from getting stale if you will.

B) If there is no room to spin around a target (a one way tight corridor), you will do what cyclone currently does: spin through the target to the other side, back and forth in a line.

C) If the target is totally cornered and surrounded by 3 walls, you have no choice but to spin stationary. Looks ugly as shit maybe, but for all I know, the entire game does not have any location like this where a target can be cornered by three fucking walls,
so this shouldn't even be an issue.

There, cyclone fixed.
Now it's fun, doesn't bug, it's not a risk, it works.

If I forgot something, ask me and I'll fill in the missing parts.

I am pretty familiar with cyclone , my cycloner is lvl 94 now. My thoughts and concerns are same with Quantume , couldnt say it better myself.

I think you should take a look at this. Well said.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info