[3.9] Pirate's Sire of Shards Fireball Miner [Beginner/console friendly]

"
"
gundam0o wrote:
Wonderful build. Just wanted to ask,how do you feel about the unique helmet Curtain Call, if I lose some dps on each fireball but get 1 more mine placed, would that be beneficial overall?

Hello! The Curtain Call gives you an extra maximum mine, which takes you from 11-12 mines at my lvl 90 tree. This will give you a little more burst damage at the start of bosses etc, but I honestly don't think it's worth losing the "extra mine per use of the skill" that you get from a Shaper helm because it's a pretty substantial decrease in your damage output while mapping/clearing.

If you get one super early on you can use it until you get a proper Shaper helm though, because there really aren't any unique items that provide substantial benefits to this build and the mine arming speed certainly isn't bad.

Actually upon a little testing the mod on curtain call is the same with the sharper mod, so when you satisfy both 500 int and dex you can place 1 more mine on use than the sharper mod, although it is pretty hard.
I'm a newer player who fell in love with mines last league. I had been strongly considering making this build my league starter before the mine changes had been announced. Since those I'm a bit hesitant to league start with mines, so I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on how comfortable the build is and whether taking MoM is still viable.
"
Qikly wrote:
I'm a newer player who fell in love with mines last league. I had been strongly considering making this build my league starter before the mine changes had been announced. Since those I'm a bit hesitant to league start with mines, so I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on how comfortable the build is and whether taking MoM is still viable.

Welcome to POE, and I'm glad you found my guide! I've been struggling to get my brain around what needs to be changed in response to the mine rework for most of the last week, and although I have a few ideas I really won't be able to update my guide until we get to look at the new Mine skill gems over the next few days.

No matter what else we learn, I AM going to be league-starting with mines so look for 3.8 updates here within the first few days of Blight league!
Last edited by ARealLifeCaribbeanPirate on Sep 4, 2019, 1:41:29 PM
"

Also I gotta update a build guide for like the 1 person who might look at it.

So, make it a 2 or cross the "might" out :)

I am very interested in playing miner this league, but since I am returning from 2 year break (and need to find my bearings around all leagues mechanics that I missed - Elder/Shaper war, Beasts, Delve, Betrayal, Legion - first ) I'll start something generic, gather some lv10-20-30-40 gear (SSF) and restart after few days into your build.

The 3.8 mines rework hits this build hard, even with my "I have no idea what I am looking at" level of insight, the first thing I noticed is mana reservation change that must affect this build if it uses the Essence Worm, but I bet it's just the tip of an iceberg. The general "no aim" tactics (or rather "notactics") of this build fits my general filthycasualness and "returning" state nicely, so it will be always noob friendly no matter what, but I'd be very grateful for any consideration given to SSF in the changes you will introduce to the build.
Last edited by vonzgred on Sep 5, 2019, 5:33:16 PM
"
vonzgred wrote:
"

Also I gotta update a build guide for like the 1 person who might look at it.

So, make it a 2 or cross the "might" out :)

I am very interested in playing miner this league, but since I am returning from 2 year break (and need to find my bearings around all leagues mechanics that I missed - Elder/Shaper war, Beasts, Delve, Betrayal, Legion - first ) I'll start something generic, gather some lv10-20-30-40 gear (SSF) and restart after few days into your build.

The 3.8 mines rework hits this build hard, even with my "I have no idea what I am looking at" level of insight, the first thing I noticed is mana reservation change that must affect this build if it uses the Essence Worm, but I bet it's just the tip of an iceberg. The general "no aim" tactics (or rather "notactics") of this build fits my general filthycasualness and "returning" state nicely, so it will be always noob friendly no matter what, but I'd be very grateful for any consideration given to SSF in the changes you will introduce to the build.

Glad to hear it! I'll be doing a full revision for 3.8 in the next week or so (currently level 82, and I want to get to 90 at the bare minimum before I post the revised passive tree etc), but if you wanted to get started here are the important bits:

-Max mines is now 21, instead of 11, so the amount that you can annoy your party members and guildmates has gone up substantially. I'm recording the best quotes from guild mapping sessions, maybe to throw in a new section later.
-Even more SSF-viable than before, because Essence Worm is completely out. Still super easy to farm Lunaris Priestess cards in act 8!
-We lost 10% life regen from Pyromaniac, so I felt like I needed more base life to compensate. I built down from Sanctity and then over to Constitution.
-Mind Over Matter now only useful once you have Eldritch Battery and some decent shield, because at a minimum you want to run Clarity, Skitterbots, and Zealotry. Eventually when I can pick up an Enlighten, I'll be adding lvl 1 Precision for more crit!
-Best possible helm is now Devouring Diadem, because Shaper mine mod on helms is gone and it'll save you a few passive points.
-Vaal clarity and Laviangas useless now, which I guess is also good for SSF.
And how do you rate single target potential of fireball mine against new Pyroclast (in fully boosted 6link endgame ofc)? I base the question on the observation, that "non-native" mine skills "waste" a socket on "convert to mine" gem, so this "waste" has to affect the damage someway.

Anyway, I thought I could do math, but I am completely lost at interpreting how many projectiles hits the target, and how often, even with no support spells, like for example icicle mine vs pyroclast mine. I remembered well that "tooltip lies" but the lies about the mines are really something else :/

How would one even go about calculating pyroclast mine DPS if the DPS is varied, depending on how long the sequence is held? And how would one even would go about calculating possible sequence length, or, in simplier words, how long can you hold a sequence in combat with a kind of boss that forces you to dodge a lot? The dmg possibilty of "put max mines on ground, start detonating and keep throwing new mines while stationary until rising detnation frequency catches up with your ability to supply mines" seems crazy high, but it's not real combat scenario, and simplified as it is, I can't even start to wrap my mind around the math of the process.

The only way to go about comparing dmg that seems doable to me is timing combat, and that's how I indeed see it done on the forum (this and this manages to kill UberElder in X minutes), but how one can come up with nonrelative objective numbers?
Last edited by vonzgred on Sep 8, 2019, 3:58:56 PM
This build is bonkers.

I've been running a crit variant of pyroclast mines up until last night when I finally 5-linked a sire of shards. You literally just lay mines and walk through 2-3 screens of wreckage after the detonation.

"
vonzgred wrote:
And how do you rate single target potential of fireball mine against new Pyroclast (in fully boosted 6link endgame ofc)? I base the question on the observation, that "non-native" mine skills "waste" a socket on "convert to mine" gem, so this "waste" has to affect the damage someway.

Anyway, I thought I could do math, but I am completely lost at interpreting how many projectiles hits the target, and how often, even with no support spells, like for example icicle mine vs pyroclast mine. I remembered well that "tooltip lies" but the lies about the mines are really something else :/

How would one even go about calculating pyroclast mine DPS if the DPS is varied, depending on how long the sequence is held? And how would one even would go about calculating possible sequence length, or, in simplier words, how long can you hold a sequence in combat with a kind of boss that forces you to dodge a lot? The dmg possibilty of "put max mines on ground, start detonating and keep throwing new mines while stationary until rising detnation frequency catches up with your ability to supply mines" seems crazy high, but it's not real combat scenario, and simplified as it is, I can't even start to wrap my mind around the math of the process.

The only way to go about comparing dmg that seems doable to me is timing combat, and that's how I indeed see it done on the forum (this and this manages to kill UberElder in X minutes), but how one can come up with nonrelative objective numbers?

Not OP but my initial testing is pyroclast will deliver more consistent damage across a contained area. Single target in maps like city square will make more than half the fireballs miss. I have yet to try bossing in a map like malformation.

My plan is to keep a tremor rod with pyroclast on swap for bossing
I like this Blight more and more. The possibility of annointing amulet with Disciple of the Slaughter (or with Disciple of the Forbidden) which were always too far away makes the crazy clearspeed even crazier.

Too bad the client crashes so often.
Last edited by vonzgred on Sep 11, 2019, 6:15:27 AM
"
vonzgred wrote:
Too bad the client crashes so often.

Ain't that the truth!

As RJN said, pyroclast mine seems to perform a lot better for pure single-target, I would also suggest keeping it in either a weapon swap or an elder helm with Conc Effect + Immolate.

I've been playing around a bit with both life and shield versions, because the biggest weakness in the build right now is how hard the defenses got hit by the rework. I haven't picked up my Kaom's Heart yet in Blight which will hopefully alleviate most of the survivability issues, but I was able to get my Standard league version up to about 8000 ES with a Shavronne's Wrappings and a Presence of Chayula. It's a lot less budget-friendly than the life version, but much tankier than anything I've been able to throw together in Blight so far.
Guide is out!

Can you tell me more about your thought process behind the links to the mines, especially around going charged mines for fireball and minefield for pyroclast? And how does this integrate with your personal playstyle? (do you lay mines and run or keep laying mines to sustain the combo, etc)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info