[3.9] Gryph's CI Vortex + Coldsnap Trickster || Uber Elder+Everything Else

"
visirale wrote:
Thanks for this guide!

Cold DOT occultist was my first build in my first league (betrayal) to beat uber elder. I did a lot of WOrb since then, and this league got my first kill with cyclone.

I wanted to have a spell-based boss-killer and this fit the bill. Atziri's reflection was reasonably cheap compared to what it used to be so I tried out this build. Most comfortable mapping I've ever had. What it lacks in clearing big packs it makes up for in being super tanky and still having good dps.

Nice to see the spirit of the cold DOT lives on even after they killed occultist : )

Cold DoT Occultist was my first toon of Synthesis League. Did all content with it before switching to Cold DoT Trickster. It was stronger before the nerfs too. :)

And oh do I miss being able to clear the screen with the Synthesis Explosion implicits on this build.

Glad you're having fun and success with it! :D
This build is a lot of fun, and the guide is nicely detailed.

One question though- why isn't the Light Eater cluster (to the right of Unnatural Calm) recommended? I've tried it for fun and it seems like Vortex damage leeches energy shield to us, which is a huge survivability boost, if true.

Edit: I see now that the energy shield leech does not apply to the Vortex DOT. But wouldn't it still apply to the initial Vortex explosion, Cold Snap casts, and the triggered spells?
Last edited by Monkestful on Jul 18, 2019, 3:38:01 PM
"
Monkestful wrote:
This build is a lot of fun, and the guide is nicely detailed.

One question though- why isn't the Light Eater cluster (to the right of Unnatural Calm) recommended? I've tried it for fun and it seems like Vortex damage leeches energy shield to us, which is a huge survivability boost, if true.

Edit: I see now that the energy shield leech does not apply to the Vortex DOT. But wouldn't it still apply to the initial Vortex explosion, Cold Snap casts, and the triggered spells?

I'm glad you're enjoying the build! :D

And yes, it only applies to the hits as you've noted. However our hits don't do enough damage to merit the skill point investment for the ES leech.

ALSO, Wicked Ward HALVES ES Leech so it becomes even worse...and ES Recharge is really our main source of passive recovery so skipping out on Wicked Ward would be...bad. :)

I would focus on getting an ES on Hit Discipline Watcher's Eye for extra survivability while mapping/delving. A low level CWDT+Ball lightning does wonders for ES recovery in situations where we have large packs of monsters around us.
Last edited by Gryphenprey on Jul 18, 2019, 5:11:53 PM
"
Gryphenprey wrote:

I would focus on getting an ES on Hit Discipline Watcher's Eye for extra survivability while mapping/delving. A low level CWDT+Ball lightning does wonders for ES recovery in situations where we have large packs of monsters around us.

This effect was stronger than I expected when diving darkness while delving. Nice
Last edited by Hartsa on Jul 19, 2019, 10:40:51 AM
Hello.
I came to thank for this wonderful Build...
I did my first EVEN Uber Elder (not deathless) but i'm very very happy with the results :)
Here's my items:

9060 ES. I accept opinions on where I can improve my items.

Thank You Gryphenprey !
"
edu1991 wrote:

Quick look: Mark of the shaper has poor spell dmg roll. Shield and helmet need attention.
"
edu1991 wrote:
Hello.
I came to thank for this wonderful Build...
I did my first EVEN Uber Elder (not deathless) but i'm very very happy with the results :)

Thank You Gryphenprey !

Awesome! Glad you're enjoying it!

As for gear upgrades, depending on your budget there's a few things you can do.

For high budget you can get Aul's for Malevolence and add hatred to your setup and grab Atziri's Reflection+Coward's legacy combo. These are the biggest DPS improvements.

If you don't casually have 25-30ex laying around...

I would suggest replacing your shield with an Apep's Supremacy. It's a small ES loss but the defensive bonuses that you gain in return are substantial. These are fairly obtainable too.

The rest is small stuff, getting a higher roll Shaper's mark, buying/crafting a Helmet with -9% cold res(buy one with a with a Vortex/mana reserve Enchant if you craft it), and making room for aspect of the spider.

I think the hardest part of it all is rebalancing your resists after everything.

On a side note: you have a 14% trap damage node next to Chaos Innoculation...maybe take something else instead :P
mechanical question about EE. If we have 3 sources of on hit lightning damage, storm brand, orb of storms and cwdt ball lightning, can I take orb of storms and put a defensive curse in place or will it disrupt the EE proc? I'm really liking the build, i respect my lvl 97 ed to into for deep delving, because at delve 550, i was no longer liking the gameplay with ED.Im using shaper ring instead of elder because at turbo cities, brine king is not enough and is easier to get stun locked , the damage is decent for my liking, i was playing with 300ked with more heavy defenses , 54% curse effect jewel, 7k life , 2 blasphey setup but i was no enjoying with vortex is more way more safer now ! Thanks

Last edited by axelw on Jul 22, 2019, 1:01:45 PM
"
axelw wrote:
mechanical question about EE. If we have 3 sources of on hit lightning damage, storm brand, orb of storms and cwdt ball lightning, can I take orb of storms and put a defensive curse in place or will it disrupt the EE proc? I'm really liking the build, i respect my lvl 97 ed to into for deep delving, because at delve 550, i was no longer liking the gameplay with ED.Im using shaper ring instead of elder because at turbo cities, brine king is not enough and is easier to get stun locked , the damage is decent for my liking, i was playing with 300ked with more heavy defenses , 54% curse effect jewel, 7k life , 2 blasphey setup but i was no enjoying with vortex is more way more safer now ! Thanks
Spoiler

For Delving you can certainly drop OOS for something else. Your BL is probably proccing super often anyways.

As for Stuns, something I've been toying around with in my head:

Glove Craft - 20-25% Chance to Avoid Stuns
Elder Boots - 31-35% Chance to Avoid Stuns
Arcane Swiftness - 20% Chance to avoid Stuns while wielding a shield.

Upwards of 80% Stun Avoidance with these could also work for you. Also the Boot enchant with any 1 of these would be 100% avoidance as long as you're killing things. Food for thought.

Also, I think that maybe for Delves
for Glancing Blows is worth looking at. Bonus points for being able to use Tempest Shield for more ES on hit and EE procs (could also CoH enfeeble here)

Food for thought. I never really tried taking this past around 400 depth. I'm currently in the process of regearing my guy so maybe I'll start diving down and see how far I can get when I'm done.
"
Gryphenprey wrote:
"
axelw wrote:
Spoiler

For Delving you can certainly drop OOS for something else. Your BL is probably proccing super often anyways.

As for Stuns, something I've been toying around with in my head:

Glove Craft - 20-25% Chance to Avoid Stuns
Elder Boots - 31-35% Chance to Avoid Stuns
Arcane Swiftness - 20% Chance to avoid Stuns while wielding a shield.

Upwards of 80% Stun Avoidance with these could also work for you. Also the Boot enchant with any 1 of these would be 100% avoidance as long as you're killing things. Food for thought.

Also, I think that maybe for Delves
for Glancing Blows is worth looking at. Bonus points for being able to use Tempest Shield for more ES on hit and EE procs (could also CoH enfeeble here)

Food for thought. I never really tried taking this past around 400 depth. I'm currently in the process of regearing my guy so maybe I'll start diving down and see how far I can get when I'm done.

i lked your tempest coh idea, gonna test using rumis , glove enchant, brine king and arcane swiftness combo . i dont like the idea of taking 50% of damage from delve monsters with Glancing Blows ( triple pen , 300% crits , 2 extra projs, turbo ) lol !
gonna test arc instead of oos for more es recovery too

Last edited by axelw on Jul 22, 2019, 4:22:37 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info