[3.9] Gryph's CI Vortex + Coldsnap Trickster || Uber Elder+Everything Else

"
Hartsa wrote:
Got tired of my melee character. Decided to give this build a go and alrdy bought some items even tho barely done act1. Nice to have some items waiting. Armour is self crafted:Third try. I dont like shield charge so I took a wand. Rather use flamedash/phaserun combo.

You can use Shield Charge with wands now anyways! :D

But yeah, you can use any movement skill that works for you. Losing Fortify is the only real downside here.

GL! let me know how everything goes!
"
Hartsa wrote:
Got tired of my melee character. Decided to give this build a go and alrdy bought some items even tho barely done act1. Nice to have some items waiting. Armour is self crafted:Third try. I dont like shield charge so I took a wand. Rather use flamedash/phaserun combo.

just fyi, you still can shield charge even with a wand (if that's the concern). shield charge is there just to proc fortify. if not required, phase run flame dash is also what I do. I run leap slam if I want fortify (I pair it with endurance charge on melee stun + faster attks + fortify), it's my preferred movement skill over shield charge.
"
SonsOfKorhal wrote:

just fyi, you still can shield charge even with a wand (if that's the concern). shield charge is there just to proc fortify. if not required, phase run flame dash is also what I do. I run leap slam if I want fortify (I pair it with endurance charge on melee stun + faster attks + fortify), it's my preferred movement skill over shield charge.

Thing is there will be too many buttons for my taste. If I take fortify, leap slam has to replace flame dash. Gotta test how it feels. Also Im gonna go for 2x obliterators instead of the explosion gloves just because changing gloves and gems equals too much work. Dual obliterator while mapping is nice cos u can just press X and get damage halved but aoe increased and when u see nasty monster ahead press X on the run and u get instant damage and ES for the few seconds and then continue with aoe again.
"
Hartsa wrote:
"
SonsOfKorhal wrote:

Thing is there will be too many buttons for my taste. If I take fortify, leap slam has to replace flame dash. Gotta test how it feels. Also Im gonna go for 2x obliterators instead of the explosion gloves just because changing gloves and gems equals too much work. Dual obliterator while mapping is nice cos u can just press X and get damage halved but aoe increased and when u see nasty monster ahead press X on the run and u get instant damage and ES for the few seconds and then continue with aoe again.

yeah, sorry I meant it to imply that leap slam would replace flame dash. of course, if flame dash feels better, stick to that. OP just likes having the added layer of defense. I was one of the proponents of dual wielding oblits in the occ vortex thread, doing a weapon swap so that for mapping it'll be a lot faster. HOI COH Frostbite propagates the explosions as well.
"
SonsOfKorhal wrote:
"
Hartsa wrote:
"
SonsOfKorhal wrote:

yeah, sorry I meant it to imply that leap slam would replace flame dash. of course, if flame dash feels better, stick to that. OP just likes having the added layer of defense. I was one of the proponents of dual wielding oblits in the occ vortex thread, doing a weapon swap so that for mapping it'll be a lot faster. HOI COH Frostbite propagates the explosions as well.

Also if you're dual wielding Oblits in the offhand with Coward's Legacy+Atziri Shield Combo....That boosted vulnerability is a serious liability. :P

I'm a fan of the new shield charge. To me it's much smoother than before. I like to mix up running, charging, and flame-dashing. this is my own preferred method ofc.

As for the gloves, I use Asenath's for everything except Shaper and Elder basically. Too lazy to swap for guardians and they do add a nice defensive layer in that they blind everything (and blow up troublesome corpses).

I do think dual Oblits is nice if you're not using Reflection though. But I personally dislike the run-dash only movement.
"
Gryphenprey wrote:

Also if you're dual wielding Oblits in the offhand with Coward's Legacy+Atziri Shield Combo....That boosted vulnerability is a serious liability. :P

I'm a fan of the new shield charge. To me it's much smoother than before. I like to mix up running, charging, and flame-dashing. this is my own preferred method ofc.

As for the gloves, I use Asenath's for everything except Shaper and Elder basically. Too lazy to swap for guardians and they do add a nice defensive layer in that they blind everything (and blow up troublesome corpses).

I do think dual Oblits is nice if you're not using Reflection though. But I personally dislike the run-dash only movement.

oh yeah didnt think of that. wasn't running coward's belt as an occ haha. either wep swap + change belt, otherwise manual swap wep and maintain shield. either way sounds a bit tedious. most of the time I end up just maintaining my setup and being more selective with my vortexes.

for movement i personally run phase run, flame dash, QS flask, silver flask, phasing on kill, so I'm pretty comfortable with that. I experimented with leap slam/shield charge with endurance charge on stun for my IC, that felt pretty good as well
What do you think about going LL with Shavronne armour instead of CI?
Last edited by xMelgassi on Jul 12, 2019, 11:05:35 AM
"
xMelgassi wrote:

we covered this earlier in the prev few pages. but basically, LL w Shav is the budget option to get more dps. problem is you lose a lot of ES/EV which are huge for our defenses. if you're ok with the lowered defenses, and want more DPS (at a budget cost), this is definitely viable. but if you find yourself dying too many times for your comfort, we'd still suggest a good ES/EV chest and sacrificing that dps. dead DPSers do no DPS. and it sucks to die at 90+ too haha
"
SonsOfKorhal wrote:
"
xMelgassi wrote:

we covered this earlier in the prev few pages. but basically, LL w Shav is the budget option to get more dps. problem is you lose a lot of ES/EV which are huge for our defenses. if you're ok with the lowered defenses, and want more DPS (at a budget cost), this is definitely viable. but if you find yourself dying too many times for your comfort, we'd still suggest a good ES/EV chest and sacrificing that dps. dead DPSers do no DPS. and it sucks to die at 90+ too haha

Pretty much this. I ran with it for a while and the damage was nice. I dislike the loss of Evasion and susceptibility to chaos damage.

I'd much rather be in the 1M DPS range with more defense than 2M dps and squishy.
Thanks for this guide!

Cold DOT occultist was my first build in my first league (betrayal) to beat uber elder. I did a lot of WOrb since then, and this league got my first kill with cyclone.

I wanted to have a spell-based boss-killer and this fit the bill. Atziri's reflection was reasonably cheap compared to what it used to be so I tried out this build. Most comfortable mapping I've ever had. What it lacks in clearing big packs it makes up for in being super tanky and still having good dps.

Nice to see the spirit of the cold DOT lives on even after they killed occultist : )

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info