[Retired Thread] Wallach's Hierophant Holy Flame Totems (Old)

"
bloodycliff wrote:
Hi, What do you think about the new Ivory Tower chest. https://i.redd.it/mdh8pt9n2a341.jpg

What changes would you make on your skill tree to prepare for it?
Would you take Sanctuary of Thought instead of Conviction of Power?
Could you then run herald of ash with blood magic and run anger and zealotry in the rings?

Here is a paste bin changing the tree a bit, changing the armor, and adding anger and burning damage+blood magic to HoA. https://pastebin.com/r2ie3Dm2

Thanks

Frankly this just doesn't look like a totem chest piece to me. You are dropping your base eHP for significant Energy Shield gains, but totem builds don't really have great ways to sustain Energy Shield. I'd probably only consider using this armor in some low-life self-cast setup that could leverage some form of Energy Shield leech to better make use of the hybrid defenses. Just the raw Energy Shield regen from the armor doesn't seem like it would make it worthwhile to me.

"
scrappy903 wrote:
Probably a dumb question but why use flame dash and lightning warp?

It's just because the links are free and Lightning Warp is occasionally handy to jump a gap that flame Dash's short maximum distance can't reach. You are free to do whatever you want with those links; I know some people don't mind tossing a golem into the build for example.
Last edited by Wallach on Dec 8, 2019, 7:11:33 PM
hi, im a new player only recently started PoE in Blight, managed to get to lvl 90 and finish atlas. Is this a good build for me to start friday on 3.9?
It is, no nerfs whatsoever in 3.9 except maybe a little bit harder to get a +1 totem shield.
"
thomzon wrote:
It is, no nerfs whatsoever in 3.9 except maybe a little bit harder to get a +1 totem shield.
Is the physical as extra fire mod nerfed? Or only the mods physical / elemental as extra chaos? Cuz it was a mod (phys as extra fire) to use on amulet and scepter / wand.

On the other hand, spellpower mods on 1h were buffed if I remember correctly, so that's nice.
Last edited by Viktranka on Dec 11, 2019, 8:14:00 AM
3.9 skill tree ?
"
Hurple_Paze wrote:
3.9 skill tree ?

Should be exactly the same. There are no 3.9 passive tree changes that affect this build.
Gonna start the league with this build tomorrow, but how does the lvl 21 flame totem gem work? Do you need 7 level 20 gems to get it?
"
Grimstroke1 wrote:
Gonna start the league with this build tomorrow, but how does the lvl 21 flame totem gem work? Do you need 7 level 20 gems to get it?

Level 21 gems can only be acquired by corrupting a level 20 gem, either through the Lapidary Lens in the tier 3 Temple gem room "Doryani's Institute" (which can apply 2 corruptions to a gem), or using a Vaal Orb on it (which only applies 1 corruption).

Corrupting an item is a bit unpredictable and is a permanent effect; once an item is Corrupted, it can never be altered again (outside of a few special cases, none of which apply to gems). So there is a bit of risk and reward involved with this mechanic, as a corruption can not just do positive things like increase the gem level by +1 or the quality by +3%, but lower the gem level by -1, or just do nothing but make the gem Corrupted (at which point it stays level 19 forever).

So, what I recommend doing for your primary skill gem is to put a couple 1-handed axes or maces that have 3 red sockets in your weapon swap slots, and fill all 6 of those sockets with Holy Flame Totem gems. They will still gain experience if they're in your second weapon swap set, and once they are level 20, you can vendor them along with a single Gemcutter's Prism to return them to level 1 but with 20% Quality. Then you have to put them back in your weapon swap and level them back to 20 again. This obviously takes some time, but a level 21 gem is one of those things you don't really need to consider until endgame anyway.

Once you have them leveled back to 20 at 20% quality, you can use Vaal Orbs on all 6 of them and roll the dice to see if any of them corrupt into level 21 gems.
Build looks great and im going to use it as a starter in 3.9. I do have a question though.

Why are you using Infused Channelling? the gem says "Totems cannot gain Infusion" is there something that i have missed?
"
Parresaurus wrote:
Build looks great and im going to use it as a starter in 3.9. I do have a question though.

Why are you using Infused Channelling? the gem says "Totems cannot gain Infusion" is there something that i have missed?

Yeah, that is a bit of a confusing gem at first glance.

The way it works is that the gem confers a bunch of modifiers to all channeled skills, as well as granting an Infusion buff. The only thing Infusion as a buff actually does is grant the "10% more damage for matching damage types" to whatever supported skill triggered the Infusion. All of the other effects listed on the gem are separate and not linked to the Infusion buff. So, even though the totems lose out on the additional 10% more multiplier from Infusion, the "supported skills deal 39% more damage" and "while channeling, take 8% less damage of matching damage types" still work for the totems and make it worth running.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info