[Retired Thread] Wallach's Hierophant Holy Flame Totems (Old)

"
Volband wrote:
"Once you have more than 20% Physical as Extra Fire Damage on your gear (i.e. affixes on both your weapon and your amulet), you will find that Added Fire Damage value falls to where Combustion is the better support gem. You can see this for yourself in the example Path of Building link; until you have such gear, though, stick with Added Fire Damage support."
I don't see anything in the quoted paragraph about conversion. Only about added damage and "phys as extra fire" which is different than conversion.

Let's say your totem does 100 damage. Baseline it's 50 phys 50 fire. Conversion would make it to 0 phys 100 fire, so then all the "increased fire damage" mods would apply to all the damage not just half of it.

But "20% physical as extra fire" means you'd do 50 phys 50 fire + 20 fire so it's a damage increase. That damage increase works no matter whether phys is converted or not. It just takes from base damage (which is all phys and THEN converted).

What the paragraph you quoted meant is multiple sources of that stat are additive, so the more you have of them, the less impact has adding another one to the pile in comparison to something like Combustion which is "29% more fire damage" which will multiply all the pre-existing fire damage instead of just adding to it.

Physical as extra fire will always increase your damage (that's why you use herald of ash etc.) but at some point stats like "more fire / spell damage" will just overtake it.

Let's say you have no "phys as extra fire":
100 damage base
With combustion 100 x 1.29 = 129 damage
With added fire 100 + 44 = 144 damage

Now if you have 3 other items / buffs that give you already "20% physical damage as extra fire"
100 + 20 + 20 + 20 = 160 base damage
With combustion 160 x 1.29 = 206.4 damage
With added fire 160 + 44 = 204 damage

Now as you can see, combustion ends up with more dps.

Conversion is another story. You just want to reach 50% conversion from Avatar of Fire (or other sources if you opt out of Avatar of Fire, for example if you play a Chieftain version).

The reason for that is any increases / multipliers to fire damage will only affect the portion that is converted to fire. The only thing that would affect all of the damage is increases to physical damage, because they apply no matter whether it's converted or not, as the ability starts phys and then converts. Ability that starts fire by itself (for example pyroclasm mine, fireball, etc.) does not benefit from physical damage at all, but always benefits from fire.

TLDR:
Physical as extra fire always works, and is additive damage. Whether the damage is converted or not, doesn't affect it.

Physical converted to fire is only needed up to 50% because the spell already covers the other 50%. It is needed so all the fire modifiers affect all the damage.

"More fire damage" will be better at some breakpoint, POB your char to be safe. Converting all the damage to fire increases effectiveness of this mod.
Ah thanks, yeah, I totally misread that. Interestingly enough, even without x% phy as extra fire modifiers on my items, combustion already shows bigger dps for me, than added fire damage!
"
Volband wrote:
Ah thanks, yeah, I totally misread that. Interestingly enough, even without x% phy as extra fire modifiers on my items, combustion already shows bigger dps for me, than added fire damage!
Probably because of double herald of ash rings, so herald of ash is now like a triple source of added extra damage.

Anyway is it intentional that you didn't put enlighten together with your herald and zealotry?
Tbh I only have Enlighten socketed to level it up. I don't use Zealotry, I just left that in for a long time ago, and Enlighten doesn't reduce the reserve cost of Herald of Ash, probably because the rings already do that or something like that.

I haven't even tested if this setup is stronger than the essence worm one.

Edit: it really is an honor to the build that it was the first ever which carried me to Shaper so far. Haven't done über elder yet, but I am about to, and based on my elder and shaper fights, it should not be a problem. My current end game boss is the Phoenix, because I can't for the life of me figure it out how to kill him without dying.
Last edited by Volband on Sep 21, 2019, 10:23:16 AM
I think the +2 projectiles helm enchant is undervalued, it's certainly better than the +40% damage.

It allows you to drop Rain of Splinters so it effectively gives:
+30% totem damage
...and a jewel slot.

And for levelling tips:
Ironwood (clear,amber,teal) is a dirt cheap early amulet anointment.
Uber Elder deathless and easy.
Build still strong af.
Thanks for the 3.8 update.

By the way, which fossils grant the chance to roll spell crit on chest?

I need to replace tabula but not sure how to craft the chest and not lose currency.
"
Viktranka wrote:
By the way, which fossils grant the chance to roll spell crit on chest?

Aetheric.
"
morigol wrote:
Aetheric.
Thanks. So you'd just spam pristine + aetheric and hope it hits the mods? And it must be shaper base?
"
Viktranka wrote:
"
morigol wrote:
Aetheric.
Thanks. So you'd just spam pristine + aetheric and hope it hits the mods? And it must be shaper base?

Yep.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info