[Ask the Dev] Elemental Equilibrium Keystone

Because you can do the same thing (-50% resistances) with Elemental Weakness while also increasing their chances of burn, ignite, and shock. Elemental Weakness also gives more freedom to your build, is available to everyone who would be using EE, and is less micro intensive.
"
laian wrote:
Because you can do the same thing (-50% resistances) with Elemental Weakness while also increasing their chances of burn, ignite, and shock. Elemental Weakness also gives more freedom to your build, is available to everyone who would be using EE, and is less micro intensive.

I guess, I didn't say this clear enough. Of course, Elemental Weakness is more versitile and adds many additional benefits. In my build I always apply EW, but I only whip out my totem when I wanna kill faster, if there's a fire resist or a curse immune mob. Obviously, -100% fire res is better than -50%, and placing a totem in between is really not that complicated.
And again, my point was that there's no drawback in using EE as long as you add lightning to your fire spells which I find a pretty good idea in general.
but that basically forces you to have a +light or +cold support gem. I hope you realize that you lose some DPS by catering your build to EE in some way, and this is why I think it deserves a buff (not to mention the skill point drain)
Well, I don't want to drag this discussion out too long. I respect your opinion and your desire to use this keystone in other ways.
But I do want to add one more comment. You say, you loose damage by forcing yourself into a multi-elemental build, but some people want to do that. It might not be ideal for the hardcore min-max stategists, but I like the fact that EE encourages 2- and 3-elemental builds.
If you look at my build, I can't think of a better support for my fire trap than Added Lightning or Cold. I have only 3 passives that exclusively benefit fire (the minimum to get to more burn damage).
Maybe you are referring to the fact that I have to place a totem every once in a while instead of firing my 1k arrow. That's also not more effort than casting a curse, so I don't mind it.
Lastly, for my build, EE was a 2 skill point investment and there are pleanty of really nice other passives around this keystone. I wouldn't call that a skill point drain.
If the enemy you afflicted with EE already had the cap of 75% resistance to the element he would receive the resistance buff, would it go over the cap and make him immune to that element?
Zaviel the Chaos-Spark Mage
Once you drink from the well of absolute power there is no turning back.

Geomancers Unite! - Adding Elemental Earth
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/50177
Last edited by Zaviel on Aug 1, 2012, 12:21:41 AM
"
Zaviel wrote:
If the enemy you afflicted with EE already had the cap of 75% resistance to the element he would receive the resistance buff, would it go over the cap and make him immune to that element?
No. Adding more resistance can never push you over the cap. It does mean that it takes more reduction of resistance to bring you down below the cap again.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Aug 1, 2012, 12:52:11 AM
Are you also considering to give monsters resistance above the cap to compensate for the res-reduction strategies? Also, is there a chance to ever meet fire immune rares?
Does burn damage trigger EE?
"
Nabijew wrote:
Does burn damage trigger EE?

You had to do some fire damage to trigger the burn and that will trigger EE, but damage ticks from burning don't trigger EE. If an enemy had a weakness to fire from another element than burning will benefit from it too since it was based on fire damage done.

I'm not sure if Fire Trap ticks trigger EE, i tested it some and it seems they do but devs never confirmed it even though I asked some time ago.

Therefore, let me ask it again:
"Dunno if it works with damage ticks from fire trap, I guess it depends on whether FT applies it's damage by ticks in area of effect or just gives a burning status while the enemy stands on it. I tried to test it by pelting with ice spear enemies standing in the pool of fire and it seems to work but it may be just me."
Respect your passive skills and they shall respect you in turn.
I'm not a hundret percent on this, but this is what I gathered from the forum:
- fire trap applied a degeneration effect (next to the inital spell-explosion)
- there's no such thing as "damage ticks", dot is applied pseudo-continuous (some milliseconds)
- degeneration effect do not trigger EE, neither does burn-ailment
- the fire trap dot (and burn-ailment) is effected by increased burn damage passives (just like rightous fire)
- the fire trap dot (and burn-ailment) is effected by resistances

Honestly, I don't really understand how you wanted to test this. I guess, if the creep is standing in fire and you shoot at it with lightning+cold, it should go down faster, but I think that's pretty hard to see. However I'll try this out on an isolated rare, if I find the time to.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info