Blood Magic

You can until you reach 100%, at which point you would die.
Last edited by Umbraal on Apr 5, 2012, 12:14:03 PM
"
hzflank wrote:
If you have Chaos Inoculation and therefore only 1 health, could you use a blood magic support with an aura that reserves a percentage of mana/health to get the aura for free?
No. any non-zero percentage of 1 is rounded up to 1. You will spend 1 life and then die.
I thought you said earlier that you could reserve up to 99% and you wouldn't die.
"
Umbraal wrote:
I thought you said earlier that you could reserve up to 99% and you wouldn't die.
I explicitly described that as a bug which caused bad side-effects and which was being fixed.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
There is currently a bug with reserving percentages of 1 life, which allows you to use auras for (seemingly) no cost. When the total reserved percentage reaches 100%, you loose all your life and die but without the option to respawn. This has been fixed for an upcoming patch: skills costing a percentage of 1 life will round up to 1, and kill you.
I don't think the cost is too much for one simple reason: life leech.

You can leech FAR more life than mana, because not only can you get far more life, but the leech rate is 20% of max HP, as opposed to the measly 12.5% of max mana.

So a high HP character with 3k HP can leech 600 HP/s, more than covering the cost of even the most expensive of skill and support combos. While that same character will likely only have a mana pool of say 400, only able to leech 50 mp/s, which covers the cost of essentially nothing with decent supports.

On top of this you can then reserve your entire mana pool for auras.

Question about this support and Increased Melee Damage on Full Life support.

If I use a Blood Magic skill at full HP, will the cost be applied before I damage the enemy, thus negating my Melee Dmg at Full Life gem?
"
aimlessgun wrote:

If I use a Blood Magic skill at full HP, will the cost be applied before I damage the enemy, thus negating my Melee Dmg at Full Life gem?
Yes. You need to pay the cost before the skill can begin executing, including doing it's calculation of damage.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
aimlessgun wrote:

Yes. You need to pay the cost before the skill can begin executing, including doing it's calculation of damage.

Ironically this makes the melee dmg on full life gem even worse than it already is, and this anecdote of cost-before-effect should probably be posted in its thread as well.

On-topic: Blood magic is an awesome support gem that allows you to basically function just like anyone with blood magic as a passive skill, but with the added benefit of auras, provided you link all (or most) of your skills to it.

Ofcourse it drastically increases your mana cost, but I think it is well scaled for the benefit you can get from it, especially for characters with builds that don't take them anywhere near the blood magic node. Also auras, pretty boss.
After reading this and getting over the initial shock of seeing 250%, I see that this is rather well balanced. Factoring in the ability to use mana for reserves and life for your life stealing attacks(or vice versa). It's ture that you use a slot to make the conversion, but the conversion is an extremely versatile and powerful one.
With auras and mana, I don't lose any mana regen when mana is reserved, and my "maximum" mana stays the same. This leads me to wonder...

If I use this support on an aura that causes me to reserve >70% of my life, am I (perpetually) considered to be "low on life"?

If so, it could be a useful (if reckless) way of maintaining your "low on life" enabled abilities.
IGN: Totemofo

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info