Blood Magic

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
BlastMonkey wrote:
...(some garbled nonsense without thinking clearly)...
That would mean the gem had a 100% multiplier, and therefore no drawback whatsoever...

Sorry my sleeping patterns went out the window after the 0.9.7 patch and I wasn't really with it judging by what I wrote. I'd actually been thinking of something that scaled between 140% to 90% over 20 levels, so 5% every 2 levels.

Most of my character builds have had around 600 to 900 hp and the skills I use typically cost around 80 to 100 mana so attempting to use a blood magic support is dangerous enough without adding a cost multiplier.

My view is that sacrificing a socket for the sake of using life to cast instead of mana is a significant enough drawback alone because you forgo something else that would add to the skill's effectiveness. I don't think there should be any cost multiplier by the time you level it to around 18.

But then I don't ever play high life builds so maybe it wouldn't work unless the casting cost was:

Skill Cost x Cost Multiplier + N% of Max Life
Last edited by BlastMonkey on Mar 30, 2012, 4:11:38 AM
This gem is marvelous with high hp builds and auras. You need 2 Reduced Mana Cost gems, one for your auras and one for your main attack attached to blood magic. On my marauder, my auras reserve 30% each instead of 40% of my mana pool without any reduced mana/reservation passives, leaving plenty for warlord's mark, and leech covers the life lost using your main skill easily (ground slam in my case).
Unavailable
Unavailable

edit: tested in chaos at level 62 solo no problems
Last edited by Exmorda on Mar 28, 2012, 9:21:40 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
BlastMonkey wrote:

I'd actually been thinking of something that scaled between 140% to 90% over 20 levels, so 5% every 2 levels.

Most of my character builds have had around 600 to 900 hp and the skills I use typically cost around 80 to 100 mana so attempting to use a blood magic support is dangerous enough without adding a cost multiplier.

My view is that sacrificing a socket for the sake of using life to cast instead of mana is a significant enough drawback alone because you forgo something else that would add to the skill's effectiveness. I don't think there should be any cost multiplier by the time you level it to around 18.

But then I don't ever play high life builds so maybe it wouldn't work unless the casting cost was:

Skill Cost x Cost Multiplier + N% of Max Life
This post sounds more reasonable.

Like you said, you're not running a high life/regen build, so you can't gauge it's effectiveness. Regular blood magic isn't a good idea on 900 health (assuming you're level 60+), let alone a support gem which ma increase costs.
The whole point of blood magic or keystones in general isn't to always be a good thing to get.

While I somewhat agree with you that have 100% multiplier at final level is OK due to the loss of DPS/support, one needs to realize that such supports WOULD increase skill cost as well (by 1.3 or more), and more importantly, that when using a blood magic support, you could get 3+ auras up rather easily at no real cost since mana isn't being used for anything. The benefits from that are very likely worth more than just a socket, but [like I already said,] not worth 2x skill costs and the extra support — but that's just my viewpoint.
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
quality gives attack speed but no cast speed ?
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
I'm very much with xapti on this one.

Aside from some high-health edge cases this feels like it costs a prohibitively large amount.
it's ridiculous to have such a high modifier on something that only change the cost of the spell from mana to health.

The modifier needs to go down to 100% at lvl 20. There's already the opportunity cost of using this gem instead of another.
Blood magic forever >:)
SnooPING AS usual, i see?!
I know support gems of the same type don't stack.

But seeing that many tombstone skills are being put on support gems, do the tombstone and support gem effect stack? Blood magic might not be a good example.

But does the 35% penetration of a passive skill stack with the % of a support gem?
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.

Hardcore to the bone.
"
Elite wrote:
I know support gems of the same type don't stack.

But seeing that many tombstone skills are being put on support gems, do the tombstone and support gem effect stack? Blood magic might not be a good example.

But does the 35% penetration of a passive skill stack with the % of a support gem?
No. Multiple of the same keystone effect from multiple sources (keystone passives, uniques, supports) do not stack.
If you have Chaos Inoculation and therefore only 1 health, could you use a blood magic support with an aura that reserves a percentage of mana/health to get the aura for free?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info