Incinerate | 2 totems | CI | 2 curses | Awesome DPS with low gear requirement

Just wondering, what exactly makes Incinerate + Spell Totem stronger than Flame Totem?

Taking Lvl 50 character as a baseline (highest Incinerate numbers available on PoEWiki), assuming +80% Cast Speed (this benefits Incinerate because it counteracts the Spell Totem Reduction):
Flame Totem (Level 10, req. Level 49)
Cast Time: 0.08 Seconds / 1.8 = 0.044~ Seconds
Base Crit: 4%
Damage: 93-140 => 116.5 average * 0.1 damage effectiveness = 11.65
DPS (pre-crit): 16.5/0.044~ = ~262

Incinerate (Level 13, req. Level 50) + Spell Totem (Level 10, req. Level 49)
Cast Time: 0.16 Seconds / 1.5 = 0.106~ Seconds
Base Crit: 0%
Damage: 73-110 => 91.5 average * 0.2 damage effectiveness * 0.6 totem multiplier = 10.98
DPS: 10.98/0.106~ = ~103 (Stage 1) / 185 (Stage 2) / 268 (Stage 3) / 350 (Stage 4)

So basically even with pretty high increased cast speed, you still do considerably less DPS at first two stages, similar DPS at third stage and ~33% more DPS at last stage. This comes at the cost of a support gem slot since you need one for Spell Totem and at the cost of cast frequency in case you're using support gems such as knockback. You also lose any chance to improve your damage through crits since Incinerate has no base crit chance and thus cannot have its crit chance increased through items or passives.
Last edited by HiddenoO on Mar 8, 2013, 6:39:21 PM
"
HiddenoO wrote:

Damage: 73-110 => 91.5 average * 0.2 damage effectiveness * 0.6 totem multiplier = 10.98
DPS: 10.98/0.106~ = ~103 (Stage 1) / 185 (Stage 2) / 268 (Stage 3) / 350 (Stage 4)

I was under the impression that each stage would multiply the damage by 1.8 such as:
DPS: 10.98/.106~ = ~103 (Stage 1) | 185 (Stage 2) | 334 (Stage 3) | 601 (Stage 4)

I'm not sure which calculation is right but if the first one is correct, there wouldn't be much point in using incinerate spell totem besides the fast that it costs nearly no mana.
"
mariox1011 wrote:
I was under the impression that each stage would multiply the damage by 1.8 such as:
DPS: 10.98/.106~ = ~103 (Stage 1) | 185 (Stage 2) | 334 (Stage 3) | 601 (Stage 4)

I'm not sure which calculation is right but if the first one is correct, there wouldn't be much point in using incinerate spell totem besides the fast that it costs nearly no mana.

"Adds 80% more Damage for each stage" is what the gem tooltip says so that's what makes the most sense (as in 0% more Damage -> 80% more Damage -> 160% more Damage -> 240% more Damage), haven't tested it though.
Last edited by HiddenoO on Mar 8, 2013, 7:34:50 PM
Why everyone takes haste, does it give cast speed for the totem or what? I always thougt totems don't benefit from auras, unless you take it so you can spamm totems faster.
"
NagiSoi wrote:
Why everyone takes haste, does it give cast speed for the totem or what? I always thougt totems don't benefit from auras, unless you take it so you can spamm totems faster.

Totems don't benefit from auras like minions or players do (i.e. getting a buff that is range dependent and all).

However, a totem uses your stats when you cast it. And since you are benefiting from your auras, so is the totem.
"
Unimatrix wrote:
"
NagiSoi wrote:

Totems don't benefit from auras like minions or players do (i.e. getting a buff that is range dependent and all).

However, a totem uses your stats when you cast it. And since you are benefiting from your auras, so is the totem.

So let's say i have haste and hatred or wrath on the moment i cast totem it benefits from those with extra cast speed and damage? Damnit i have been living a lie.
"
HiddenoO wrote:
Just wondering, what exactly makes Incinerate + Spell Totem stronger than Flame Totem?

Taking Lvl 50 character as a baseline (highest Incinerate numbers available on PoEWiki), assuming +80% Cast Speed (this benefits Incinerate because it counteracts the Spell Totem Reduction):

So basically even with pretty high increased cast speed, you still do considerably less DPS at first two stages, similar DPS at third stage and ~33% more DPS at last stage. This comes at the cost of a support gem slot since you need one for Spell Totem and at the cost of cast frequency in case you're using support gems such as knockback. You also lose any chance to improve your damage through crits since Incinerate has no base crit chance and thus cannot have its crit chance increased through items or passives.

But doesnt all added damage gems and such benefit from 80% increased? If so later on it gets way more than 30% increase i guess.
"
NagiSoi wrote:

So let's say i have haste and hatred or wrath on the moment i cast totem it benefits from those with extra cast speed and damage? Damnit i have been living a lie.

Well, Hatred only works for EK. Wrath and Anger do not work for spells at all.

But yes, Haste works.
Last edited by Unimatrix on Mar 8, 2013, 9:20:59 PM
"
NagiSoi wrote:
"
HiddenoO wrote:

But doesnt all added damage gems and such benefit from 80% increased? If so later on it gets way more than 30% increase i guess.

That's not how maths works.

I calculated the DPS before "Increased Spell Damage/Projectile Damage/Elemental Damage/etc." - those will only multiply the DPS I calculated. A 30% increase will stay a 30% increase as long as you only multiply with the same factors (which, in this case, you do since both abilities benefit from exactly the same stats and exactly the same support gems).

Edit: Well, if you were to increase damage by using Added Lightning/Added Cold/Added Chaos damage gems, those numbers would slightly shift since those are added and not multiplicative to base damage. However, the OP doesn't intend to use those supports so it's not relevant here.

You also get a free support gem slot using Flame Totem. So if you were to use Added X Damage gems, you'd still have an additional one when playing with Flame Totem. With Spell Totem included, you get +104% more damage and still 30% reduced cast speed at max stacks, thus you'd still get more from two Added Damage gems on Flame Totem than you'd gain from a single one on Incinerate + Spell Totem. This is a result of the fact that their base damage effectiveness per base cast time is equal.
Last edited by HiddenoO on Mar 9, 2013, 10:40:27 AM
70% Burning Damage from the staff is heavily wasted here.
Dual wands will give you more DPS, assuming your chest is free to put a 5L on it.
"so you can see who has more PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
"Everyone can at least be exposed to Leo's PvPenis" - Chris Wilson

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info