Burning Arrow

needs high damage to be able to compete with frenzy as single target or lighning arrow as an aoe! pls buff the dmg!
ign: ALLRAUDER
I have a BA AoF character right now. Currently, at 67 I have 17 nodes invested in purely offensive nodes(ei, physical, fire, burn, attack speed, or proj dmg.) I will eventually get to 23 nodes in pure offensive passives. I also have iron grip and 387 strength. That is actually a pretty big investment in offense and yet still, the burn damage seems to be really lacking.

I believe this gem needs love.

I have other chars with less investment in offense and far greater production. I would be ok with it if BA was some extremely powerful PVP build, but it isn't. So it really lacks in too many phases of the game imho.

"
Consequence wrote:
I have a BA AoF character right now. Currently, at 67 I have 17 nodes invested in purely offensive nodes(ei, physical, fire, burn, attack speed, or proj dmg.) I will eventually get to 23 nodes in pure offensive passives. I also have iron grip and 387 strength. That is actually a pretty big investment in offense and yet still, the burn damage seems to be really lacking.

I have other chars with less investment in offense and far greater production. I would be ok with it if BA was some extremely powerful PVP build, but it isn't. So it really lacks in too many phases of the game imho.

wanted more burning damage? try burning damage passives (which are above templar mostly) although straight up damage boosts should have worked too because burn damage is 1/3rd of the fire damage each second for 4 seconds.

its likely simply not nearly as obvious as you could've just kept attacking. crits help but raw damage you're doing is probly enough.

did you also use fire curses? burn damage is further affected by resistances.
"
Consequence wrote:

I didnt try it yet, but I had an BurningArrow/Rain of Arrow duellist in beta and I have seen a fireball burn build in action (1-shotting map bosses) and know how it works, so I should be able to convert the burn mechanics from fireball to burning arrow.

I dont want to write down a huge guide here, but here are the key things you have to consider when trying to do a BA build focused on the burn effect:

- You want a slow bow with high phys dmg per hit (NOT dps!!!!) and some crit chance on it (high phys dmg + firedmg should work too)
- You want Avatar of fire passive node and a nearly perfect Blackgleam unique quiver to convert all of your dmg to fire (IMPORTANT you LOOSE ALL dmg you dont convert - so better get these extra 50% to make it 100% with AoF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
- You want flat fire dmg on your gear
- You want to run Anger aura at gem lvl 20 (or higher, boost it with +lvl of gems if possible - aura effectiveness nodes are good too)
- You want some high fire nodes and some projectile dmg (phys bow dmg and weapon elemental dmg is good too, but after last patch fire dmg > projectile dmg > phys bow dmg > elemental dmg) Simply get the biggest one but definately mix some projectile/phys bow dmg with fire dmg nodes. Dont do only elemental/fire or only proj/phys. (if you go Strength+IronGrip concentrate on fire nodes)
- get those burning dmg passives
- If you think you'll be strong enough to take some hits get Point Blank and fight in close range
- get some crit chance and crit dmg (crit will boost your dmg per hit sooo much and triggers the burn - you really dont want to miss that)
- get at least double curse (with uniques or skills doesnt matter but you have to run at least crit curse + elemental weakness/flammability (but temporal chains will be very nice if you can add that)
- a bit attack speed is good to crit more often

Link your BurningArrow with:
BA + addFire + WeaponElementaldmg + critdmg/critchance + burningDmg + elementalProfileration
-> if you only have 5L then I'd probably remove added Fire dmg gem

=> If you can do (most of) these things you will one-shot almost everything with a crit
-> I think AoF Burning arrow (or infernalBlow AoF) has more potential than fireball in lategame, but are much more difficult to do and highly gear dependant.

As caster you can stack firedmg/spelldmg and crit chance pretty easy on wand and shield, you have a lot of (spell) crit nodes pretty concentrated.
But of course there are crazy weapons and other gear with a lot of flat phys/firedmg wich make weapon users superior to caster in lategame imho because as caster your base dmg is much more limited...

And last but not least you also want some defense (life, armour...) but dont expect too much all burn builds I know are prtty much fragile glass cannons. You are kiting, hoping for a fast crit (the more crit chance you have and the more attackspeed, the more reliable your build is) and than running and doding dmg again till everything is burnt to ashes.

Maybe add a conversionTrap+multitrap+increased duration or a skeletton totem/decoyTotem for some additional defense/blockers

Video Guides I found on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ruo1ZDodXzo (general burning guide - not up to date)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j--iJsdQOYk (fireball-ignite build (low lvl low crit build))
Last edited by azraelb on Dec 9, 2013, 1:35:20 PM
"
azraelb wrote:

I dont want to write down a huge guide here, but here are the key things you have to consider when trying to do a BA build focused on the burn effect:

- You want a slow bow with high phys dmg per hit (NOT dps!!!!) and some crit chance on it (high phys dmg + firedmg should work too)
- You want Avatar of fire passive node and a nearly perfect Blackgleam unique quiver to convert all of your dmg to fire (IMPORTANT you LOOSE ALL dmg you dont convert - so better get these extra 50% to make it 100% with AoF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
- You want flat fire dmg on your gear
- You want to run Anger aura at gem lvl 20 (or higher, boost it with +lvl of gems if possible - aura effectiveness nodes are good too)
- You want some high fire nodes and some projectile dmg (phys bow dmg and weapon elemental dmg is good too, but after last patch fire dmg > projectile dmg > phys bow dmg > elemental dmg) Simply get the biggest one but definately mix some projectile/phys bow dmg with fire dmg nodes. Dont do only elemental/fire or only proj/phys. (if you go Strength+IronGrip concentrate on fire nodes)
- get those burning dmg passives
- If you think you'll be strong enough to take some hits get Point Blank and fight in close range
- get some crit chance and crit dmg (crit will boost your dmg per hit sooo much and triggers the burn - you really dont want to miss that)
- get at least double curse (with uniques or skills doesnt matter but you have to run at least crit curse + elemental weakness/flammability (but temporal chains will be very nice if you can add that)
- a bit attack speed is good to crit more often

Link your BurningArrow with:
BA + addFire + WeaponElementaldmg + critdmg/critchance + burningDmg + elementalProfileration
-> if you only have 5L then I'd probably remove added Fire dmg gem

=> If you can do (most of) these things you will one-shot almost everything with a crit
-> I think AoF Burning arrow (or infernalBlow AoF) has more potential than fireball in lategame, but are much more difficult to do and highly gear dependant.

As caster you can stack firedmg/spelldmg and crit chance pretty easy on wand and shield, you have a lot of (spell) crit nodes pretty concentrated.
But of course there are crazy weapons and other gear with a lot of flat phys/firedmg wich make weapon users superior to caster in lategame imho because as caster your base dmg is much more limited...

And last but not least you also want some defense (life, armour...) but dont expect too much all burn builds I know are prtty much fragile glass cannons. You are kiting, hoping for a fast crit (the more crit chance you have and the more attackspeed, the more reliable your build is) and than running and doding dmg again till everything is burnt to ashes.

Maybe add a conversionTrap+multitrap+increased duration or a skeletton totem/decoyTotem for some additional defense/blockers

Video Guides I found on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ruo1ZDodXzo (general burning guide - not up to date)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j--iJsdQOYk (fireball-ignite build (low lvl low crit build))

It will be Harbinger Bow you want, as it has high base crit chance and slow speed. Chin Sol can also be good with point Blank.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

It will be Harbinger Bow you want, as it has high base crit chance and slow speed. Chin Sol can also be good with point Blank.

Not sure about chin Sol you'd have to calculate it by yourself - could work well with the right flat fire/phys dmg gear gear.

Yeah a rare Harbinger Bow with high phys dmg is what you normally want if you want to build around burn dmg...
It needs splash damage, much like ice shot, perhaps put a burning ground under it, like ice shot.

As it stands, theres not really a point to using it.
just for try, for see and for know
"
It needs splash damage, much like ice shot, perhaps put a burning ground under it, like ice shot.

As it stands, theres not really a point to using it.

Splash dmg is the last it needs.... Concentrate on burn, link it with elemental profileration and you'll have really nice aoe

If you add aoe but lower the dmg per hit like every other aoe skill does, then fireball will be so much superior to burning arrow...

Burning Arrow always was a nice singletarget bow skill and it should stay a high dmg singletarget bow skill as there are not a lot of them...
Last edited by azraelb on Dec 12, 2013, 6:44:28 AM
Physical Projectile Attack Damage, the DoT clusters, the innate Harbinger Bow affix, and the all-in (but hardly absolutely necessary) Avatar of Fire finally bring this skill to a good place. The analog of Melee Physical Damage was crucial; thanks for doing that.

The only complaint I have left is the DoT Entropy is pretty much in a dead zone of the tree when it comes to archery... though I might be overly negative considering the wacky new DoT mechanics.

It's a weird, strange day when I look at a 6% fire damage point as a possibly good investment.
Forgive my ignorance, but why doesn't this have "Projectile" in the list?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info