[3.6] The Blizz Sorc - Icestorm/Winter Orb CI Occultist - Viable For Everything

"
Med1umentor wrote:
"
lilianmarius wrote:
5L - Winter Orb/CwC/GMP/Cold Penetration/Controlled Destruction
1L - Spell Cascade

Can you explain me why are you even using spell cascade?
Any trash will be cleared with winter orb anyway, and those rares that won't be easily cleared with WO alone will be better without spellcascade and its reducing damage.

Why not just go for pseudo single-target setup with damage gem or just leech. You can even leave that socket blank, and it will still be better than spell cascade.

Still making tests , that setup is not the last one i stand on. Need to clear more T16 with hard mods to see whats best Spell Cascade or a DPS gem for Ice Storm (prolly Cold Pen if Hypothermya is in Winter Orb setup or vice versa or mayber even Increased Area of Effect)
Last edited by lilianmarius on Dec 20, 2018, 2:28:51 PM
"
Med1umentor wrote:
"
lilianmarius wrote:
5L - Winter Orb/CwC/GMP/Cold Penetration/Controlled Destruction
1L - Spell Cascade

Can you explain me why are you even using spell cascade?
Any trash will be cleared with winter orb anyway, and those rares that won't be easily cleared with WO alone will be better without spellcascade and its reducing damage.

Why not just go for pseudo single-target setup with damage gem or just leech. You can even leave that socket blank, and it will still be better than spell cascade.

That was literally the first thing I tried on a WO+GMP setup. Losing Spell Cascade on clear just feels bad imo.

Tried a 6L too - WO+GMP+CD+CP+CWC+Conc Effect feels worse at clearing than Spell Cascade (vs Conc Effect), and worse at bossing than Hypothermia (vs GMP).

YMMV, but that's how my experience has gone - I would hazard a guess it has to do with aoe size messing with Icestorm hit rates (same reason Inc. AoE feels underwhelming, lowers the chance to hit a small target), but I have no proof of that.

PS: Haven't tried 3G+3B setups cus none of my staves feel like coloring that way, apparently, but PoB suggests there's not much difference.
Last edited by vector84 on Dec 20, 2018, 3:47:32 PM
1827int 10400 es , so slow alva(( uber elder hard , i dont tank boss(
"
Solax wrote:
"
Karp_490 wrote:
Ahh ok, its as i thought, the top left two fertile mind, only convert 10 dexterity. I think id be better off using a rare jewel in those two places with 24 int and cold damage/ES

Actually, they stack. So those two jewels are giving +30 Int each from their nearby Dex nodes. You can see this in-game. If you mouse over a node overlapped by two Fertile Minds, it says +20 Int instead of +10.

well this is news to me
I'm conflicted on which version of the build to go for? Is the scion build better?

I know the guide states that this version is better but does this hold true or is the scion easier to gear and really get into.
(double post)
Last edited by theeze on Dec 20, 2018, 6:04:48 PM
Just wanted to toss up a couple thoughts about Malediction vs Frigid Wake...

I'm currently running Malediction, but planning to switch back to Frigid Wake around 94-95 (when I can afford the +1 curse nodes without losing so much int).

I'm rather liking my dual curse setup (Warlord's Mark on hit ring), but I don't think it's quite enough to do away with a Life Leech gem on the hardest hitting bosses. It is wonderful for general mapping though, especially with Profane Bloom adding more boom and ignoring Hexproof.

While I'm not loving the loss of freeze immunity, Malediction feels more efficient (at least for a dual curse setup). Also, the added clear speed from Profane Bloom felt really significant at ~1600 int, but now that I'm up to almost 1900 int, I'm hoping losing it in a couple levels will hurt my clear speed less. ;)

And a random thought: a Zealot's Oath based variant of this build seems like it would probably feel better for certain encounters (thinking of Mastermind in particular), but I can't come up with anything that would work well without both a) giving up about 100 int, and b) requiring a couple Watcher's Eye mods to really come together.
Decision time... would +1 curse be worth loosing around 644 total Energy shield?

I'm leaning to no, simply because the extra shield helps for leech and boss suitability, while curses are pretty useless when bossing...
POGGERS!

/happy dance
"
Kelvynn wrote:
POGGERS!

/happy dance

Congrats man, that is a sexy sexy helm.

Here is the rare snag that I got.

If only it came with more int.. LIKE YOUR HELM!!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info