[3.8] FreezeFinder - (Retro) [Blade Vortex + Vaal Cold snap] - [All Content]

"
memberx wrote:
So what you think what would be my priority upgrade next?

Personally I Would look to increase the quality of the resist rolls on rings and belt, as you might be able to free a suffix for either a decent roll %Cold or even chaos resist this league.

After that min maxing Tier's of rolls or shaped rings with %Spell damage or life gain on hit with spells. At that point you will be talking 15 - 20ex for 1-2% worth of pefromance though. Depends what you enjoy.
Last edited by mfeeney87 on Dec 31, 2018, 8:10:13 AM
Edit: Double
Last edited by mfeeney87 on Dec 30, 2018, 12:02:12 PM
Just posting to say, loving this build so far. Super tanky and great damage.

Been trying out some random stuff, and got some cool tips for people.

For belt you can now craft +5% flask effect, this lets you drop the useless jewel and put a good one in. This costs you a possible 20% damage prefix craft (also new), but for extra jewel well worth it.

My example Belt:

For boots this new craft makes using vaal cold snap an even bigger dps increase as it adds ~60% spell damage for around 15 seconds. Let's you have a better life roll and other stats at cost of ~4-5% dodge. I am still at 74% evasion according to POB.

My example boots:

Gloves are a combo with Watcher's Eye. I picked up a Damage Conversion + Flat cold damage one for 5ex. If you get 60% conversion between jewel (up to 40%) and gloves (up to 25%). This let you drop Hrimsorrow and go to 100% coversion at the same time. Opens up possibility to get much more HP and things like extra resists (I tried to get some Chaos res on mine.)

My example gloves:

Last thing is weapon if you want more damage. Honestly I did not notice prolif missing at all. I did notice life leech missing; and put Warlords mark here instead of Frost curse; solved both the leech and mana issue. I also have frost bomb and a flame golem (new golem every 5 sec just for buff, slot freed up as no curse on hit needed, this adds a little less damage than Frost curse would, making up for removing it.) here.

The weapon is an easy craft and close to 20% damage increase:

Last tip: Tempest Shield in your CWDT setup, gives you 3% attack and spell block basicly always (dropped increase duration from Phase run as I didn't feel it was needed.)

I tried to go even further beyond on damage. My PoB sitting at 6629 hp / 1,249,740 dps (Without Frenzy Charges/Vaal skill thing from boots/Bonechill; some stupid ammount if you try to add those in pushing up to 2 mil.)

PoB for anybody that cares: https://pastebin.com/pF6KKYZZ
Spoiler
"
Garouken wrote:
Just posting to say, loving this build so far. Super tanky and great damage.

Been trying out some random stuff, and got some cool tips for people.

For belt you can now craft +5% flask effect, this lets you drop the useless jewel and put a good one in. This costs you a possible 20% damage prefix craft (also new), but for extra jewel well worth it.

My example Belt:

For boots this new craft makes using vaal cold snap an even bigger dps increase as it adds ~60% spell damage for around 15 seconds. Let's you have a better life roll and other stats at cost of ~4-5% dodge. I am still at 74% evasion according to POB.

My example boots:

Gloves are a combo with Watcher's Eye. I picked up a Damage Conversion + Flat cold damage one for 5ex. If you get 60% conversion between jewel (up to 40%) and gloves (up to 25%). This let you drop Hrimsorrow and go to 100% coversion at the same time. Opens up possibility to get much more HP and things like extra resists (I tried to get some Chaos res on mine.)

My example gloves:

Last thing is weapon if you want more damage. Honestly I did not notice prolif missing at all. I did notice life leech missing; and put Warlords mark here instead of Frost curse; solved both the leech and mana issue. I also have frost bomb and a flame golem (new golem every 5 sec just for buff, slot freed up as no curse on hit needed, this adds a little less damage than Frost curse would, making up for removing it.) here.

The weapon is an easy craft and close to 20% damage increase:

Last tip: Tempest Shield in your CWDT setup, gives you 3% attack and spell block basicly always (dropped increase duration from Phase run as I didn't feel it was needed.)

I tried to go even further beyond on damage. My PoB sitting at 6629 hp / 1,249,740 dps (Without Frenzy Charges/Vaal skill thing from boots/Bonechill; some stupid ammount if you try to add those in pushing up to 2 mil.)

PoB for anybody that cares: https://pastebin.com/pF6KKYZZ

Hey thanks, I definately think the belt craft is worth mentioning now and will update that information in the Jewel section, although with the changes to flask's tehre are no breakpoints now and flask effect basically scales your damae and mitigation linearly, so I still wouldn't call it a useless jewel (For a pathfinder).

I don't really like the 'During soul gain prevention' on Cold snap as it's marginal, and increadibly situational. I'm just peronally not a fan of stuff like that, I enjoy consistancy.

I think the Glove (+Jewel Conversion) and boot (Dodge) crafts are pefectly valid but still feel there are still opportunity cost's elsewhere in the larger picture. This is also where I would say a build starts entering the 'custom fit' part, and my goal is to provide build desgins that are a solid, easily accessable framework.

I still prefer the Catalyst over a higher dps craft, the prolideration for HoI, attack speed, cast speed, leech and solid damage numbers just fit the build so well and for me add a lot more utility.

I think the Tempest shield is valid, but perhaps at the point of diminishing returns, a further +3% block and spell block felt unnoticable from a playstley PoV, especailly since your Block chance is already capped with a Daresso proc.
To me the Inc duration on Phase Run for zipping through packs after consuming 3 frenzys felt great.
This is also why I adjusted the build away from the 'Mind Barrier' Nodes and back into the inc duration nodes on the tree, The block recovery was wasted, the build was not able to utalise the %Increase ES from shield due to our shield choice and the +10% Spell Block at this point felt gratuitus.
It meant I couldn't advertise the build as having 75% spell block on low life, which hurt my OCD a bit, but was all in all for me the correct design decision.

Again I tend to see a build as an entire unit operating in the game, I know a lot of people think Min Maxing involves pressing the heat map in PoB and picking the brightest nodes, then staring at shaper dps and making adjustments to nudge it ever higher.

I know PoB DPS is important, but I think PoE community as a whole over values it, specifically paper DPS. There are lots of interactions and increases that are not visible from paper stats on many builds.
If my paper DPS is 1.5KK but my mitigations and defenses are so poor that it causes me to reposition or dodge/kite every other second, it might as well be halved in terms of real world DPS, where as if I make defensive trade offs that allow me to apply my DPS much more fluidly and my paper DPS sits at 1.2KK, that's a DPS increase.

That was not a criticism of you, just the general building culture, I probably disagree with a lot of build design choices out there, and prioratising less 'glamorous' stats such block and stun recovery is very important on specific builds, way more so than +15K Shaper DPS.
Last edited by mfeeney87 on Dec 31, 2018, 10:25:54 AM
Edit - Double again
Last edited by mfeeney87 on Dec 31, 2018, 1:01:42 AM
Last edited by emmaline6109 on Jan 19, 2021, 11:21:58 AM
"
How is mapping speed compared to other BV builds?

It's really up there, especially with alchemist flask.
Loving this build, thanks for sharing it! Glad to see it's gotten so much love in such a short time.

I just spawned Uber Elder for the first time, and I'm hoping this build will make up for my lack of skill and let me really get in there and let him have it.

I have a few questions that I didn't see addressed in the thread yet (may have missed them, though).

How impactful do you feel "Breath of Rime" (4-point chill effect cluster at the tippy top) is? How does it affect high-level bossing (specifically Uber Elder)?
I'm trying to weigh pros/cons of trading it out for the 10% spell block cluster "Mind Barrier". Have you tried this or considered it? Would it help an Uber-Elder newbie significantly?

Specifically for the Uber Elder fight, some of the Hatred Watcher's Eye jewels with a second property of "#% Phys taken as Cold while Purity of Ice" are relatively inexpensive, do you think it would be a significant mistake to run Purity of Ice instead of Herald of Ice just for that fight? Seems like one or two of those Hatred/PoI jewels would mitigate a significant amount of damage if you have Purity of Ice going with Taste of Hate.

How does the Vaal Cold Snap skill setup affect the Uber Elder fight? I don't want to gimp myself going in there without it if it's a big deal, but I'm also lazy af and don't want to spend the time/money getting it set up right away if it's not really very useful in this situation.
At first thx for a great build mate! for a longtime i rly wanted to play some pure cold dmg build and this BV is great one! Was about to play this build just for a league starter, make some currency and switch to some poets pathfinder but that didnt happen and did all the content with this build.

also i did some small changes to fit my own playstyle...

gloves:

+ dual hatred eye 35-40% conversions + cold flat (just cos it was the cheapest one combo) for a 100% phys to cold conversion.

- 30-50% inc dmg for chilled enemies is a great dmg boost but probly cos of winter orb builds those gloves re not cheap anymore, but at the start of the league they were super cheap (my pair costs like 10c, atm they re probly worth more then 4ex but definitely close to BIS.

weapon:

- great dmg boost also with the new affix which cast spells with their own CD (5sec) is definitely better to socket there 3 different spells instead of 1 with some support gems...

with those i choosed i cast one of these spells every 1.65 sec just from shield chargin or refreshing BV, casting frostbite/frost bomb/cold snap without smashing extra button (lazy style for lazy players) but super strong.

rings:

i got like 1.8% dmg life leech (1.2 blood rage CWDT and 0.6 boots enchant) but still i like this instant life leech from shaper rings which works great with BV.

workin on shaped opal rings with similar stats/resist/hp but its pretty much expensive shit to do and so far no luck :)

also thx for the idea "effect of flasks" enchanted to the belt atm i use
and when i get kinda better one ill definitely put there this affix and rid off the Potency jewel.
Last edited by Khandar on Dec 31, 2018, 12:11:33 PM
Spoiler
"
Khandar wrote:
At first thx for a great build mate! for a longtime i rly wanted to play some pure cold dmg build and this BV is great one! Was about to play this build just for a league starter, make some currency and switch to some poets pathfinder but that didnt happen and did all the content with this build.

also i did some small changes to fit my own playstyle...

gloves:

+ dual hatred eye 35-40% conversions + cold flat (just cos it was the cheapest one combo) for a 100% phys to cold conversion.

- 30-50% inc dmg for chilled enemies is a great dmg boost but probly cos of winter orb builds those gloves re not cheap anymore, but at the start of the league they were super cheap (my pair costs like 10c, atm they re probly worth more then 4ex but definitely close to BIS.

weapon:

- great dmg boost also with the new affix which cast spells with their own CD (5sec) is definitely better to socket there 3 different spells instead of 1 with some support gems...

with those i choosed i cast one of these spells every 1.65 sec just from shield chargin or refreshing BV, casting frostbite/frost bomb/cold snap without smashing extra button (lazy style for lazy players) but super strong.

rings:

i got like 1.8% dmg life leech (1.2 blood rage CWDT and 0.6 boots enchant) but still i like this instant life leech from shaper rings which works great with BV.

workin on shaped opal rings with similar stats/resist/hp but its pretty much expensive shit to do and so far no luck :)

also thx for the idea "effect of flasks" enchanted to the belt atm i use
and when i get kinda better one ill definitely put there this affix and rid off the Potency jewel.

"also i did some small changes to fit my own playstyle..."

Cant argue with that dude, really glad you are enjoying it! Thanks for the positive feedback.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info