Bestiary was a better league then Incursion in terms of retention

The steam charts are a reference but a lot of us do prefer to run a stand-alone client.

But I will say this, I cared a lot more during beastiary than I have in incursion. As many problems as that league had, the crafting offered enough to keep me interested.

But it also was my first full league start to finish. While I figured it was probably hitting standard given the scope, the vitriol on the forums still had me trying to chase uniques that might not make it to core.

Then flashback was thrown in and I split my time between the two.

In comparison I've been pretty disappointed with incursion. While a few minor adjustments would help with quality of life, the bigger issue for me is that it just doesn't feel special or rewarding.

When I started midway through abyss, I got very accustomed to the abyss jewels and stygian vises. I still have a quad full of abyss jewels and sygian vises sitting in standard. Despite it making it to core, the sheer rarity of them doesn't justify their current lack of reward. In the actual abyss league, at least it felt like every trove had a possibility of something decent, now it's safe to assume disappointment.

With incursion, that extra micro management with the rooms doesn't explain why the chests are generally junk. Currency chests full of transmutations, one might as well run lab. Weapon chests seem like they're just random yellows out of the masters' inventories.

But really, it just feels like playing mini levels while mapping just to get a crappy bonus level. I don't even mind the design of it - it's just the fact that it feels like extra busy work but no extra credit.

It's weird that I'm only motivated to pursue the bandana for a free helmetless mtx.
Yep, totally over league play.
"
jpsherman1 wrote:

Sorry, I've been spending the last couple of months getting a Bakery/Cafe off the ground. And I have 2 kids, sooo I haven't been able to play much before I fall asleep. 6 years ago I would have had the time to play this shit nonstop.

OK, that explains your lack of challenges.
As Charan said, good luck with running that bakery. :D May the flow of customers never ebb.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
It doesnt matter what some of you believe, majority of players use steam and thats confirmed fact. So numbers there are more relevant than your beliefs. Even if it wasnt the case than it is big enough sample size anyway so this moaning is pointless.

The truth is this league doest offer much in itself. After a week you have seen it all. Bosses in temple are irrelevant, they are weaker than rares, the temple feels and look the same every time making the "build your own map" part kinda disappointing. I did quit the league because there is no new encounters to experience, plain and simple.
The continued delusion that Steam isn't a decent indicator of playerbase for Path of Exile is hilarious

"
The majority don't use steam charts

Wtf does that have to do with anything, the majority of people use Steam
Last edited by Imaginaerum on Jun 16, 2018, 3:39:02 AM
Lack of challenge. Bestiary red beasts were fun to engage, incursions eventually wear you down because you are fighting the layout more than the actual mobs.
"
Imaginaerum wrote:
The continued delusion that Steam isn't a decent indicator of playerbase for Path of Exile is hilarious

I don't think its so much humorous as it is delusional. Not all of us want to be constantly on-line with the steam client, but that doesn't discount the value of the steamcharts as an indicator, trends are trends.

The majority of the populace isn't efficient and/or motivated enough to 40/40 a league. The more I play Poe the more I miss ME3, as at least I enjoyed using the skills.

Actually that reminds me, the more I play Poe, the more it feels like the Mass Effect 3 mini game (albeit mostly by design of the genre). These days spamming skills in PoE feels a lot less like the running and shooting side of ME3 and more like the scanning planets.

The carrot on the stick becomes less enticing when the sense of reward is so faint.
Last edited by SeCKSEgai on Jun 16, 2018, 3:50:38 AM
I find those numbers perplexing. but then again it's summer and so fewer people want to dedicate time to the game and it's not like this was as big as the 2.0 release.

This is far from a scientific study obviously, but I have a hard time believing that bestiary was better received than incursion. Although, incursions at low levels were a pain in the ass for my build in terms of clear speed so maybe new players were turned off.
"
FrodoFraggins wrote:
I find those numbers perplexing. but then again it's summer and so fewer people want to dedicate time to the game and it's not like this was as big as the 2.0 release.

This is far from a scientific study obviously, but I have a hard time believing that bestiary was better received than incursion. Although, incursions at low levels were a pain in the ass for my build in terms of clear speed so maybe new players were turned off.

The thing was beastiary had things to appeal to different niches of players, particularly the SSF crowd. Incursion looked promising on the trailer, but in practice its been pretty lackluster. While its fine for folks engrossed in the speed, I get the feeling that many players are unimpressed and feeling largely unrewarded by their temple runs. At least with beastiary you could work towards crafting something perdy.
Its not like the temples and incursion are not rewarding, on contrary but those rewards are in most part meaningless. In breach for example you were working to fight those breachlords, the pinnacle was Chayula and its was hard to even attempt it but you were working towards that goal. In bestiary you had this whole crafting, you had goals in front of you the whole time, you had bosses that you were looking forward to fight. In incursion average player can do 1 or 2 temples every single day, this greater goal doesnt exist, you have nothing to work towards to so the rewards are meaningless. Every incursion is the same , every temple feels the same there is nothing new to experience. You also forget that "30 shaped burial chambers / hour speed" is not a norm, in reality its so small percentage of players thats its not even worth mentioning. Most players dont care for that. This league was cool and all, for about a week than burnout kicked in and it became boring chore.
It could depend on what someone is playing. Incursions felt more satisfying when I started arc traps; I was successfully completing temple runs by my mid-20s or so.

I'm now playing a summoner and... it's pretty painful right now. I simply can't kill things quickly enough to unlock doors. An inability to unlock doors makes the entire experience pointless. I've skipped Alva for the past two Acts.
Last edited by brgillespie on Jun 16, 2018, 6:06:35 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info