When you realize cyclone has no advantages over blade vortex

"
ShadeyShadow wrote:
"
ZACHWILDCAT wrote:
Why do people have the urge to exaggerate how bad something is. Cyclone isnt that bad at all. I do believe it needs to be a channeling skill at least.

I'm interested in how you think i'm over exaggerating.
Tell me then, what advantage does cyclone have over blade vortex?
I know what you're going to say... stun immunity right? You should join the balance team, you'd fit right in.

If you want someone to answer you should probably let them answer instead of assuming what they're going to say. Its two different skills, one is a spell while one is melee. They arent even on the same playing field for starters. Typically people who choose cyclone go slayer, pretty sure most people who play vortex arent going to pick slayer. So one big advantage to me is leech in general. Easier to obtain and susatiain with cyclone. Its a bit pointless though to try and compare the skills as I stated above. Lastly they added the less hit damage because people were abusing the mechanic, cyclone was how fast can you tap to win.
"
GreasyGinzo wrote:
Cyclone is NOT a total garbage skill. I have started the past 3 leagues with cyclone 1 slayer 2 hand sword, 1 slayer 2 hand axe and 1 scion 2 hand sword crit version. All of them got me 157 atlas completion, killed shaper, elder everything. Resolute technique guardian and shaper damage isn’t anything special but perfectly capable. The Scion crit version shaper damage is just insane. Cyclone clears maps fairly quickly and is stun immune. Could it be improved? Definitely no doubt but it isn’t the joke meme skill a lot of people make it out to be.

Best part about cyclone is you can combine it with other skills. Did a caat on death, cast on crit, and a cast on damage taken one. I also did one that included blade vortex and could get up to 10 stacks. Now that vortex is capped at 10, I might go back and see how much stronger it is.
Cyclone is trash because you have to scale AOE , attackspeed and movementspeed for it to feel good.
That´s just retarded.Personally I will never play Cyclone again if it´s not on a QOTF Raider with Darkray Vectors. I don´t give a shit if I am squishy. I will never play this fucking skill again in my life if it doesn´t have the maximum amount of Movementspeed that I can aquire because right now in INcursion I started as a Chieftain because of the inbuilt pen and fire conversion.
Worst decision of my life because I hate myself right now and I had to quit the game.
Because Cyclone felt so horrible.

SO yes, OPs thought crossed my mind as well. I watched lots of streamers playing BV (DUH everyone is playing BV) and I noticed myself thinking: "Lol actually BV is the better Cyclone."

So yeah OP is right and others have broken down why Cyclone sucks mechanically.
I can only give you my personal experience. I have palyed Cyclone quite a bit and I will give it one more shot. As a Devotos Devotion, Darkray Vector, AOF Ngamahu Raider. Maybe a Raider Slayer.
"
GreasyGinzo wrote:
Resolute technique guardian and shaper damage isn’t anything special but perfectly capable.

Sure, maybe with no mods
However try a map with increased monster or boss life, ele res, or temp chains
You will not kill that boss in a timely manner, and odds are if you dont have 8k life and insane regen, you will waste all portals before you kill a guardian
"
ZACHWILDCAT wrote:
Its two different skills, one is a spell while one is melee. They arent even on the same playing field for starters. Typically people who choose cyclone go slayer, pretty sure most people who play vortex arent going to pick slayer. So one big advantage to me is leech in general. Easier to obtain and susatiain with cyclone. Its a bit pointless though to try and compare the skills as I stated above. Lastly they added the less hit damage because people were abusing the mechanic, cyclone was how fast can you tap to win.

Okay, so if you ignore that one's a spell and one's an attack they are very similar skills. Both make an AoE damage zone around the player and your clear speed is more or less tied to how fast you move around the map. However, on one hand, cyclone feels horrible on bosses whereas blade vortex can completely anhilate bosses. Secondly, blade vortex is capable of having a much larger AoE than cyclone, and doesnt require insane (100% +) movement speed to be effective. In fact, blade vortex requires NO movement speed as you can use whirling blades and shield charge with it

So I guess you're right, in a way you really cant compare them because blade vortex wins hands down in everything. Damage, AoE, Clear Speed, ease of use.
Last edited by ShadeyShadow on Jun 16, 2018, 8:03:41 AM
"
ShadeyShadow wrote:
"
GreasyGinzo wrote:
Resolute technique guardian and shaper damage isn’t anything special but perfectly capable.

Sure, maybe with no mods
However try a map with increased monster or boss life, ele res, or temp chains
You will not kill that boss in a timely manner, and odds are if you dont have 8k life and insane regen, you will waste all portals before you kill a guardian

As I said, play RT as a Slayer and there are no problems. Atziri’s Disfavor, Crimson Dance and The Wretch made quick work of Rippy mods on guardian maps
"
ShadeyShadow wrote:

Okay, so if you ignore that one's a spell and one's an attack they are very similar skills. Both make an AoE damage zone around the player and your clear speed is more or less tied to how fast you move around the map. However, on one hand, cyclone feels horrible on bosses whereas blade vortex can completely anhilate bosses. Secondly, blade vortex is capable of having a much larger AoE than cyclone, and doesnt require insane (100% +) movement speed to be effective. In fact, blade vortex requires NO movement speed as you can use whirling blades and shield charge with it

So I guess you're right, in a way you really cant compare them because blade vortex wins hands down in everything. Damage, AoE, Clear Speed, ease of use.

All this rambling is still made irrelevant by simple fact that 1 is a spell and 1 is attack. BV has a lot more in common with shock nova, rf , dark pact etc than with cyclone. This is where this discussion starts and ends. Comparing this 2 skills is just stupid.
"
ShadeyShadow wrote:
"
ZACHWILDCAT wrote:
Its two different skills, one is a spell while one is melee. They arent even on the same playing field for starters. Typically people who choose cyclone go slayer, pretty sure most people who play vortex arent going to pick slayer. So one big advantage to me is leech in general. Easier to obtain and susatiain with cyclone. Its a bit pointless though to try and compare the skills as I stated above. Lastly they added the less hit damage because people were abusing the mechanic, cyclone was how fast can you tap to win.

You realize you don't have to use a two handed weapon with cyclone right? You can shield charge through, tap cyclone clear and shield charge or whirling blade. With my last cyclone I had 60% movement speed I think and that was plenty fast. I feel like you just want to be right so there isnt much point in trying to make you understand that cyclone isn't as bad as you make it sound. Yes cyclone could use some improvements, and it probably will get some in the future. Blade vortex received a buff this patch while cyclone did not. I really think once cyclone gets the channeling support and possibly the movement speed reduced or removed the skill will be in a perfect place.
Cyclone is dogshit.

Over-nerfed with 50% less damage first hit. The only reason people keep lying to themselves thinking it s good is because they use it with ngamahu. They fail to see the reason they clear is not because of the melee skill but because of projectiles added to a melee skill.

It just prove this game is all about projectiles when a melee skill is only good with them. It s also hilarious that the best class to play cyclone belong to the ranger subclass. So in order to make cyclone not suck you need: add projectiles to it and then take a ranged class on the projectile side of the tree.

Ho yea maybe there is another way to make cyclone good it s to add spells to it with COC or COMK. Once again you don t clear with melee there but with spells.

GG GGG you killed a skill just because you are afraid of making melee viable.

As for those who don t get the comparison, While blade vortex and cyclone are of different skill types the way of playing them are close to same. They both play at melee distance and need AOE, they both have some circle of death around them. But unlike cyclone blade vortex get a more multiplier, have no speed penalty and get insane boost by gems level.

Imo blade vortex is a better cyclone, feel more like melee than cyclone and work better in the clear speed meta without the need to add projectiles.
Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
Last edited by Head_Less on Jun 16, 2018, 9:57:59 AM
"
Head_Less wrote:
Cyclone is dogshit.

Over-nerfed with 50% less damage first hit. The only reason people keep lying to themselves thinking it s good is because they use it with ngamahu. They fail to see the reason they clear is not because of the melee skill but because of projectiles added to a melee skill.

It just prove this game is all about projectiles when a melee skill is only good with them. It s also hilarious that the best class to play cyclone belong to the ranger subclass. So in order to make cyclone not suck you need: add projectiles to it and then take a ranged class on the projectile side of the tree.

This is just simply not true

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info