[3.3] Dark Pact-Skeletons Assassin ft. Gloomfang (Cast on Crit and Poet's Pen) [Shaper video]

Nice build,, how does dmg compare to VD poet pen build?

Also is it HC viable?

Also how would necro be vs assasin?

Ty
"
Camaron wrote:
Nice build,, how does dmg compare to VD poet pen build?

Also is it HC viable?

Also how would necro be vs assasin?

Ty

I don't know the exact damage numbers but this build can achieve incredible single target damage. I would say it is comparable to regular VD, with Indigon VD (or Indigon anything really) doing better damage in fights like Shaper where there is time to ramp up the spell damage bonus.

When it comes to currency investment vs. damage though, this build shines because not many builds scale themselves around an obscure stat like minion life.

I don't think it can be HC viable without sacrificing a lot of damage. This is mainly because it is a spell crit build (top of the tree) that is forced to be life-based due to the features of Gloomfang amulet. I think it could be done with some heavy investment in MoM and other layers of defense, but it will never be able to achieve a very high life pool.

I don't think Necro will work because minion damage doesn't help the build. Even though Dark Pact has the minion tag, support gems like Minion Damage will not scale its damage when applied to Skeletons.
Last edited by anomz on Jun 20, 2018, 3:23:01 PM
I really like the idea of a poet's pen build that's not vd. I'm still kinda new to the game so could you post a leveling section for the tree? I'm just not sure which nodes to take in what order
holy shit this is the coolest build i have seen in years ! :D love it man. 10/10 super stylish this deserves more attention and a BOTW win !

do you think this can work with a bow instead ? there is a shaper mod i thinnk that gives bow a free CoC support and the upgraded asenaths helmet might help ?
RIP King of the Forest view-thread/1738625
Last edited by cmphx on Jun 22, 2018, 6:00:34 AM
"
drewsephus wrote:
I really like the idea of a poet's pen build that's not vd. I'm still kinda new to the game so could you post a leveling section for the tree? I'm just not sure which nodes to take in what order

I will try to add a more detailed leveling guide at some point but for now here are the easy rules of thumb:

1. Since we start at Shadow you basically just build the tree from right to left.

2. If leveling with Poet's Pens, prioritize life nodes over damage since damage will not be an issue during the leveling process. If leveling self-cast Dark Pact just feel it out as you go and prioritize damage nodes when you think you need to.

3. If leveling with other spells rather that Dark Pact in your Poet's Pens, just ignore the Chaos damage nodes until you switch to Dark Pact. If leveling with Dark Pact (with Pens or self-cast) go right ahead and take the Chaos nodes.

4. Ignore Power Charge nodes until you spec into the Assassin nodes that grant you Power Charge generation.

5. Ignore minion life nodes until you are using Dark Pact and Skeletons in Poet's Pens.

6. Take jewel nodes as you see fit. If leveling as a starter you'll want to avoid these until you have viable jewels to use.

Also give the "Budget" section of the guide a look as I talk about how I used this build as a starter and got it off the ground for cheap early on. As a new player this may be the best approach for you.
"
cmphx wrote:
holy shit this is the coolest build i have seen in years ! :D love it man. 10/10 super stylish this deserves more attention and a BOTW win !

do you think this can work with a bow instead ? there is a shaper mod i thinnk that gives bow a free CoC support and the upgraded asenaths helmet might help ?

Thanks for the positive feedback!

I think Asenath's and Shaper bow could work in theory but I doubt it will be as efficient as the Pens - they are (unfortunately) just so powerful for spells. If I had more time to play this league I would try it out though, because it sounds like a cool idea...

I think it would require a lot more investment in accuracy since it will rely more on CoC than raw triggering. What makes this build very strong is that it has two sources of Dark Pact casts flowing over the Skeletons (with Gloomfang adding a chain to every cast). It will be hard for another configuration to achieve such a high cast rate.

Yo your build has had me intrigued for some time now.
I was wondering if you had ideas on how to make him more viable. If we reduce the amount of dps by for example removing Gloomfang - maybe finding an alternative - etc, will it still be worth it? Let's say we keep Gloomfang, with the frenzy projectiles, we take life leech nodes and slayer/assassin, will it be sustainable? Or dumb? (Sorry, new to the theorycrafting thing, all i know is how to copy builds into pastebin and do guesswork)

edit: Budget option for the gloves i suppose Doedre's gloves, the cast speed shouldn't affect us too bad. I replaced gloomfangi n favor of Impresence, dont know if thats viable. It's also much cheaper than it used to be. A rare spell damage ammy might be better. Warped Timepiece?
Last edited by Nethicite on Jun 24, 2018, 1:25:25 AM
"
anomz wrote:

Thanks for the positive feedback!

I think Asenath's and Shaper bow could work in theory but I doubt it will be as efficient as the Pens - they are (unfortunately) just so powerful for spells. If I had more time to play this league I would try it out though, because it sounds like a cool idea...

I think it would require a lot more investment in accuracy since it will rely more on CoC than raw triggering. What makes this build very strong is that it has two sources of Dark Pact casts flowing over the Skeletons (with Gloomfang adding a chain to every cast). It will be hard for another configuration to achieve such a high cast rate.

yeah, its just that using a bow is just waaay more stylish than dual wands for me.

maybe use lioneyes glare to completely ignore accuracy? a quiver adds more crit chance and multi.

quill rain could also be an option, you try to negate the lowish chance on asenath (25%) by attacking like crazy.

idk. i always wanted a bow-kind of build that uses skeletons to a good effect. but not using null's since thats weird and only on kill.
RIP King of the Forest view-thread/1738625
"
Nethicite wrote:
I was wondering if you had ideas on how to make him more viable. If we reduce the amount of dps by for example removing Gloomfang - maybe finding an alternative - etc, will it still be worth it? Let's say we keep Gloomfang, with the frenzy projectiles, we take life leech nodes and slayer/assassin, will it be sustainable? Or dumb? (Sorry, new to the theorycrafting thing, all i know is how to copy builds into pastebin and do guesswork)

edit: Budget option for the gloves i suppose Doedre's gloves, the cast speed shouldn't affect us too bad. I replaced gloomfangi n favor of Impresence, dont know if thats viable. It's also much cheaper than it used to be. A rare spell damage ammy might be better.

I don't think the leech nodes approach will work because Frenzy is just there to trigger the spells and apply Warlord's Mark on hit - it does little to no damage itself so it won't give us meaningful leech.

We get solid leech from two sources: Warlord's Mark (on hit, from ring) and 0.5% Chaos damage leech from the Gloomfang. Since the build is 100% chaos damage it's basically like having flat 2.5% leech which is pretty good.

IMO the best way to add defense to this build is to spec into Mind over Matter. I used it for a while myself (explained in more detail in the guide). Since Aspect of the Spider is gone in 3.3 we could just drop Blasphemy/Despair and open up our entire mana pool. Spec into mana a bit so the ratio is correct and use it for eHP along with a Clear Mind jewel for some free spell damage.

This means dropping Despair but since curse effectiveness is so weak on bosses it might be worth the DPS loss for the eHP. This also means we won't need a "+1 curse" corrupted Gloomfang (making the build even cheaper!).

At some point I will PoB this and add it to the guide because I think that's probably a more well-rounded version of the build.

EDIT: Also meant to mention, you can also drop a support gem in your 6L and use Life Gain on Hit support for some added sustain. This can also be expanded on by using a LGOH Watcher's Eye jewel - with Aspect of the Spider gone we certainly have the mana to do it but this is a very expensive option.

EDIT 2: Okay I quickly whipped up a PoB that applies what I explained above. Gets the build to about 7k eHP with a sacrifice of ~12% dps. Keep in mind my gear isn't very good - I should put together an "ideal PoB" one day because this build's damage has so much potential...

Mind over Matter PoB
Last edited by anomz on Jun 24, 2018, 1:46:35 AM
"
anomz wrote:
"
Nethicite wrote:

edit: Budget option for the gloves i suppose Doedre's gloves, the cast speed shouldn't affect us too bad. I replaced gloomfangi n favor of Impresence, dont know if thats viable. It's also much cheaper than it used to be. A rare spell damage ammy might be better.

I don't think the leech nodes approach will work because Frenzy is just there to trigger the spells and apply Warlord's Mark on hit - it does little to no damage itself so it won't give us meaningful leech.

We get solid leech from two sources: Warlord's Mark (on hit, from ring) and 0.5% Chaos damage leech from the Gloomfang. Since the build is 100% chaos damage it's basically like having flat 2.5% leech which is pretty good.

IMO the best way to add defense to this build is to spec into Mind over Matter. I used it for a while myself (explained in more detail in the guide). Since Aspect of the Spider is gone in 3.3 we could just drop Blasphemy/Despair and open up our entire mana pool. Spec into mana a bit so the ratio is correct and use it for eHP along with a Clear Mind jewel for some free spell damage.

This means dropping Despair but since curse effectiveness is so weak on bosses it might be worth the DPS loss for the eHP. This also means we won't need a "+1 curse" corrupted Gloomfang (making the build even cheaper!).

At some point I will PoB this and add it to the guide because I think that's probably a more well-rounded version of the build.

EDIT: Also meant to mention, you can also drop a support gem in your 6L and use Life Gain on Hit support for some added sustain. This can also be expanded on by using a LGOH Watcher's Eye jewel - with Aspect of the Spider gone we certainly have the mana to do it but this is a very expensive option.

EDIT 2: Okay I quickly whipped up a PoB that applies what I explained above. Gets the build to about 7k eHP with a sacrifice of ~12% dps. Keep in mind my gear isn't very good - I should put together an "ideal PoB" one day because this build's damage has so much potential...

Mind over Matter PoB

Dope. Hope to see you manage to push the build further. https://i.imgur.com/sdjAJrO.gif
Thinking of ways on how to push it to T15s/16s and bossing. Probably a BIT too squishy without standard GG gear for Elder.

EDIT : Hey hey, if you have a spare socket for VRF why no slot that in for an easy extra boost to spell damage?
EDIT EDIT: Also won't the inclusion of MoM require you to slot in a mana flask?
Last edited by Nethicite on Jun 24, 2018, 2:26:57 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info