Adder's Touch

Really Adder's Touch doesn't have much to do with elemental dagger builds, since the poison effect is chaos damage. So 'elemental' passives don't apply to it.
"
Softspoken wrote:
Really Adder's Touch doesn't have much to do with elemental dagger builds, since the poison effect is chaos damage. So 'elemental' passives don't apply to it.

Do elemental passives increase burn damage? No, you should learn burn-specific passives for that. Same with Adder Touch.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
Softspoken wrote:

Not entirely true. Adder's touch converts ALL damage you did into chaos over time so it has something to do with elemental builds and elemental passives do increase its damage indirectly.

Well, he was off a bit about physical nodes if he meant to use lightning strike, it's converted damage so those apply on lightning part too. With the boost physical melee nodes received it's pointless to use small weapon elemental passives on convert skills.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Sep 5, 2013, 4:15:12 AM
"
raics wrote:
"
Softspoken wrote:

Not entirely true. Adder's touch converts ALL damage you did into chaos over time so it has something to do with elemental builds and elemental passives do increase its damage indirectly.

Well, he was off a bit about physical nodes if he meant to use lightning strike, it's converted damage so those apply on lightning part too. With the boost physical melee nodes received it's pointless to use small weapon elemental passives on convert skills.
For some reason I thought adder's touch was based off the physical damage, not the total damage. Thank you for pointing that nuance out to me.

"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
Softspoken wrote:

Do elemental passives increase burn damage? No, you should learn burn-specific passives for that. Same with Adder Touch.
Technically, elemental passives increase burn damage dealt from Ignite. My main point though was that chaos damage (Poison) is not included in the 'elemental' category.

Chaos & 'poison' damage passive nodes are an interesting thought though, since there's a couple skills that apply chaos DoTs now. But I always got the vibe that chaos was supposed to be fairly flat / piercing damage: you couldn't boost it specifically, and it was a lot trickier to resist it than other damage types. Maybe that will change in the future!
I have a follow up question using this same idea for Adder's Touch. If one were to score a critical strike using Daggers using Puncture, would the bleed damage and the poison damage stack, or would the two instances of damage fall off from the other being applied? Hopefully Mark can answer this for me! Thanks!
"
I have a follow up question using this same idea for Adder's Touch. If one were to score a critical strike using Daggers using Puncture, would the bleed damage and the poison damage stack, or would the two instances of damage fall off from the other being applied? Hopefully Mark can answer this for me! Thanks!

Afaik, bleed and Adder poison are two different effects, so they should stack with one another. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it'll work just fine.
"Chris wrote:
The "nerfs" in this patch are in response to the rest of the rebalance and so that many builds are simultaneously viable. You can't complain that there are only seven good builds and then complain when we balancing the power level :P
Of course, they will work together. Puncture will heavily dwarf poison from adder's touch but it will work just fine.

On stacking issues... adders touch was unable to stack with poison arrow for quite a long time, they were classed as a same effect or something. It got patched mid-open beta, if I remember right.

Forgive me if I am way off base here - I'm quite new around these parts :)

But, I think that those who are expressing concern over the ineffectiveness of this passive are neglecting to consider the idea that it appears to function similar to the "more" stacking rule. i.e. it stacks multiplicatively and not additively. Considering that there are very few "more" effects in this game, I think that alone makes this very special. All together when using daggers, for the 5 nodes in this area, you get: 22% physical damage, 6% attack speed, 30% critical chance, 66% critical multiplier, and 10% MORE chaos damage on critical strike.

Let us not even consider the idea that it is chaos damage and thus damage which isn't reduced by elemental resistances(unless a portion of the base damage is elemental) OR energy shield.

So, combined we have some of the highest critical chance and critical multiplier passive nodes; a notable worth of extra physical damage; and 10% MORE damage on crit (not to be confused with the additive, as opposed to multiplicative, multiplier passives).

Concerning some of the basic math earlier, don't forget that the base critical multiplier is 150%(?), so we have 150% * the combined additive passives for multiplier * 10% more rarely resisted energy shield piercing damage.

I think there are plenty of other less "OP" skills to complain about :)
"
Kushite wrote:

But, I think that those who are expressing concern over the ineffectiveness of this passive are neglecting to consider the idea that it appears to function similar to the "more" stacking rule.

It is a damage multiplier but the way it applies damage makes it weak. See, if you attack 4 times per second and one of them is a critical hit (optimal case for the scenario) doing 300% original damage you did 600% your normal damage during that second. In the next second you will 4 times again and again do 600% damage + 10% of 300% which is 30%, so, you will do 630% in total, which is 5% more, pretty useless in the grand scale.

And that's an optimal scenario, dagger builds usually attack faster than that and have more crit chance which does nothing for adder as it doesn't stack but raises non-adder damage.

"
raics wrote:
"
Kushite wrote:

But, I think that those who are expressing concern over the ineffectiveness of this passive are neglecting to consider the idea that it appears to function similar to the "more" stacking rule.

It is a damage multiplier but the way it applies damage makes it weak. See, if you attack 4 times per second and one of them is a critical hit (optimal case for the scenario) doing 300% original damage you did 600% your normal damage during that second. In the next second you will 4 times again and again do 600% damage + 10% of 300% which is 30%, so, you will do 630% in total, which is 5% more, pretty useless in the grand scale.

And that's an optimal scenario, dagger builds usually attack faster than that and have more crit chance which does nothing for adder as it doesn't stack but raises non-adder damage.
If you crit every hit Adder's Touch is +10% Damage as DPS (ignoring the 66% crit multiplier bonus).

You take the node for the multiplier, because its good on its own, not really for the damage bonus.

Edit: Honestly I think it should deal 10% damage dealt over 1 Second, and able to stack unlimited number of times. This would mean +10% DPS from the node @100% crit. If it currently stacked an unlimited number of times it would allow for +30% DPS @100% crit.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
Last edited by Autocthon on Nov 15, 2013, 2:34:26 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info