Why is the right side of the tree so devoid of life?

I feel like at this point, with the options for damage we have on gear/ascendancy, the last thing we need to worry about is how to get enough life in our the tree (something is wrong if you can't get an effective pool).

I've never found the options for pool on the right side build limiting regardless of my first point.

Can we please move on...
"
zzang wrote:
How about not waste skill points for those "effective" super hot garbage skills nodes.

Instead slap on a lightning coil, taste of hate and for some extra lulz watchers eye jewel/shaper items for phys as ele damage taken and suddenly tank 12k phys boss slams with zero armour?

How about being smart and efficient sid instead dumbo?

And this would be why GGG will have to address all those "smart and efficient" interactions with some nerfs, and even "moar" spike damage added as elemental/chaos or even "moar" DoTs...

It's nice to have options, as long as they still have an Achilles heel...

I understand the situation where ES seems more efficient than Armour, which feels even more effective than Evasion.

Due to rampant power creep regarding player damage, the idea that tanky characters would manage attrition fights due to their increased HP pool, and have mediocre damage, and the glass canons would obliterate via damage and be very squishy, got forgotten, as these days, you're better off steamrolling as high as possible content, and progress at a snail pace, as GGG doesn't seem intended to link in a better way dangers and rewards on both loot and EXP gain when a character passes level 90...

Not to mention their inability of finding "the sweet spot" regarding how to balance damage versus coverage versus attack/cast speed. They always "enjoy" to introduce "broken" stuff that "mocks" their content, without addressing on spot all the outliers, because players "couldn't possibly have fun" any other way...

At least various hack and slashes like Deathspank or Torchlight (btw a heavily modded Torchlight 2 can give PoE or Grim Dawn a "run for their money", especially regarding progression and difficulty) were never trying to make players compete on a global economy scale, and never forced them to equalise "fun" with "efficiency", while touting " build diversity" as a main attraction...

It's a sad day when the ARPG that PoE is supposed to be, can be explored only when the player places an absurd amount of limitations on his character, instead of transforming PoE in your regular "clicker spam fest for the easy win"...

ARPG and PoE in the same sentence get to be used rarely, because GGG never cared enough to make even casuals appreciate the opportunity to enjoy their characters throught all the journey that should be from level 1 to 100 an epic display of one of the most interesting "fictional universes" fleshed via a mind blowing at times lore, not to mention that they can't seem to focus and take definitive stances and state their "finished product target" regarding the game.

I am a "dreamer" that hopes that PoE will be greatly improves in the future, but for now, it's not a "finished", not to mention "polished" product that grants players the feeling of "completion" - and that is nice that we can get to experience the "continuous transformation" of the game, and that has it's charm... Still dreaming of the day where I'll get to experience PoE's complete epicness...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Jul 9, 2018, 1:04:34 AM
"
theD4nk0wl wrote:
I feel like at this point, with the options for damage we have on gear/ascendancy, the last thing we need to worry about is how to get enough life in our the tree (something is wrong if you can't get an effective pool).

I've never found the options for pool on the right side build limiting regardless of my first point.

Can we please move on...

The problem is that the instant logout/oneshot meta is creating an arms race between GGG and players. Players get more eHP to combat oneshots, so GGG make oneshots stronger, so players get even more eHP to combat the stronger oneshots, so GGG make make oneshots even stronger, etc. You can clearly observe this pattern if you compare monsters from act 3 -> act 4 -> act 5 -> Abyss. Even if you raise them all to the same monster level, there is a steady increase in the damage output.

It is already the case that to get a workable life pool on a Ranger, you have to do some aggressive pathing into the Shadow/Duelist life nodes or the Scion wheel. As the de facto minimum life requirement grows higher and higher, having a black hole of minimal life on the tree will keep becoming a bigger and bigger issue.
"
suszterpatt wrote:
"
theD4nk0wl wrote:

Can we please move on...

The problem is that the instant logout/oneshot meta is creating an arms race between GGG and players. Players get more eHP to combat oneshots, so GGG make oneshots stronger, so players get even more eHP to combat the stronger oneshots, so GGG make make oneshots even stronger, etc. You can clearly observe this pattern if you compare monsters from act 3 -> act 4 -> act 5 -> Abyss. Even if you raise them all to the same monster level, there is a steady increase in the damage output.

It is already the case that to get a workable life pool on a Ranger, you have to do some aggressive pathing into the Shadow/Duelist life nodes or the Scion wheel. As the de facto minimum life requirement grows higher and higher, having a black hole of minimal life on the tree will keep becoming a bigger and bigger issue.

Though i don't disagree with the odd balancing decisions and your stance on them, with the damage available we can begin to look at things like hybrid and tri pools again for the first time in a long time
You know what I just realized?

There's a map mod that nerfs Life/ES (recovery/regen).
There's a map mod that nerfs Armour and Block.
There's a map mod that nerfs Dodge.

But Evasion apparently sucks so bad it's not even worth nerfing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info