Why is the right side of the tree so devoid of life?

As a long time player but relative scrub, one of the reasons I do not enjoy playing starting classes on the right side of the tree is this very reason.

Building a life-based, left-side-of-tree character is pretty straight forward. Building something with good dps and survivability from the right side of the tree is much more a challenge. I have a handful of shadow characters I've abandoned over the years because of this. I want to make my Blade Vortex shadow work so bad, but I hit a wall at level 84 where dps vs survivability has become a challenge with my current gear.

I agree that a more efficient designed balance to evasion/dodge would solve this.

And I FULLY agree that the game has moved far away from the original design premise that led to the distinct separation of life=left, ES = top, evasion/dodge = right, life/eva = bottom.
I hit 6.2k hp at level 90 as a BF Raider, but it's only due to stacking 30+ HP Abyss jewels and Abyss uniques (iamsmartbeast in my characters, BSC).

However, every other character I have made as a Ranger of Shadow has big difficulty breaking 5k HP without Kaoms, and always I end up abandoning those characters before 90 because in Red maps you absolutely need a high HP pool to survive.

This is in stark contrast contrast to the other side of the tree, where you can have a lot of life with good pathing, and high strength to further boost HP.
"
sidtherat wrote:
sure

lets even out the life pool. so right side has as much as left side

but then lets even out the crit and damage pool. so right side has 5 crit nodes total now.

deal?

Be fair, left side would still have a lot more regen and armour.
You can have them then. But we all know noone cares. It is the crit and damage that people want. Regen and armour is for people with not enough damage isnt it?
"
goetzjam wrote:
"
suszterpatt wrote:
The real question you should ask yourself is, "why is the lack of Life on the right side of the tree a problem?"

In just about every other game, a low life pool coupled with binary defenses like evasion and high recovery is a perfectly functional form of defense, so why not in PoE?

The answer, of course, is because instant logout demands a oneshot meta, and in a oneshot meta that kind of defense doesn't work. Instead, the most reliable defense is a high life pool.

Adding a 5 second logout timer and rebalancing monster damage accordingly would make this problem disappear without any changes to the tree itself.

Instant leech is gone, except for one item.

So repeating this argument in the current patch isn't correct.

Furthermore, they arne't going to add a timer or remove logout option, would essentially be a completely different game.

If you try and do content in any ARPG game and take a hit that is telegraphed that you were suppose to dodge, you are going to die. It doesn't matter if you have 6k life on the left side or 6k life from the ride side, if that hits, your dead.

Everyone loves to do this comparison, but always take the scion life wheel into consideration. GGG has already made pathing to life nodes on the right easier.

Doesnt that log out thing only apply to hardcore?

So why not balance the two leagues separately?

So the people in hardcore can keep their logout macros and 1 shots.

While standard and softcore seasonal players have a timer and balanced damage?
Yea give RIGHT side some more and better life nodes to compensate all the lost hp from missing strength and so on.
Last edited by The_Human_Tornado on Apr 21, 2018, 2:08:29 AM
I have a full stable of level 85-90 characters in Standard, mostly melee fighters, visible in my profile. The Shadow, Ranger, and Duelist have right-sided builds, Marauder and Scion left-sided, Templar and Witch across the top. The Witch is hybrid HP/ES, but the rest are all life-based with 4600-5000 HP. All of them are able to solo most red map bosses, though what I most enjoy are Breeches, Null Portals, and double-Beyond Zana maps. I could care less about the cheesy OP RNG-gated uber-bosses, and refuse to pay the price of admission to their cramped little cage-fight arenas.

I'm well aware of Meta-mavens who insist on nothing less than 8-10K HP for end-game builds, along with upwards of a million DPS. In my opinion, those are decadent, broken builds that make a pointless crackhead travesty of the game. Over 95% of the freely accessible areas of POE are perfectly well-balanced for builds with 5000 HP, a readily attainable amount of life for level 85-90 characters. If the entire game was balanced accordingly (i.e. no one-shot kills), there would be no need to make any further revisions to either right-hand or left-hand sides of the skill tree.
Last edited by RogueMage on Apr 21, 2018, 1:17:38 PM
"
Doesnt that log out thing only apply to hardcore?

Nope, GGG want lvl100 to be hard to reach even in softcore, which means they gotta hit players with the -10% XP penalty at least semi-regularly.
"
That's dumb that's like communism dude everything equal? Naw that's lame.

:')

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
something worth mentioning is the rather weak bonus stats give, specialy dex. traveling trhow the str area gives you some life and melee phys dmg, traveling trhow int gives you ES and mana, traveling trhow dex give you acuraccy and eva wich no one gives a dam about.

replace eva with 1% reduced damage taken every 50-75 dex or something of the likes to make running around with 4k life more bareable and we wont need to add life nodes everywhere.

self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

Last edited by caboom on Apr 22, 2018, 11:17:43 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info