Why is the right side of the tree so devoid of life?

Top right = es (ci)
Bottom left = life (blood magic)

They look counter balanced
"
Chadwixx wrote:
Top right = es (ci)

Bottom left has eHP in the form of extra Life nodes
Top left has eHP in the form of MoM
Top right has eHP in the form of ES
Bottom right has bugger all. But hey, Arrow Dancing I guess?
The rauder is an ape with tattoos, he should have the same hp as a 100 pound ranger?

Meta = cattle

-ty men
"
suszterpatt wrote:
"
Chadwixx wrote:
Top right = es (ci)

now do the same comparison for damage and youll understand why it is how it is
"
sidtherat wrote:
"
suszterpatt wrote:
"
Chadwixx wrote:
Top right = es (ci)

now do the same comparison for damage and youll understand why it is how it is

Please refer to my earlier post:

"
suszterpatt wrote:
The funny thing is, it would actually make sense in a game that isn't balanced around oneshots.

Imagine a world where a) it takes more than 2-3 hits from monsters to kill an evasion build and b) leech rate is actually hard to cap out, at least for left side/RT builds. In that world, evasion is a useful primary defense because you have time to regain life between hits, and what the right side loses in life regen, it gains in leech rate from the higher DPS. It makes perfect sense.

I'll leave it to the reader to count how many ways PoE manages to fuck up that very simple system.

The DPS difference is largely irrelevant to this issue. Non-crit builds can still easily cap out leech rate and oneshot packs, and a higher DPS doesn't protect against oneshots.
higher DPS definitely protects against 'one shots' (aka bursts) because there are VERY FEW actual one shots that can kill you if you try to avoid them (like shaper slam that only laziest of the lazy need to facetank)

second - damage IS relevant. because if it wasnt - you would play left side of the tree. but you want to play right side of the tree because it has 80% of tree's crit and 95% of tree's penetration - aka the damage

so to sum it up:

'one shots' are mostly fallacy used to pursue various bs agendas. people die to porcupines and claim 'one shots' (where simple evasion, dodge or block makes these nonissues), people walk into a doorway guarded by 20 chaos constructs with -50% chaos res and die.. etc etc. these ARE NOT one shots.
nor are attritional fights like Chimaera or Phoenix (you are supposed to move away from the blast)

evasion is very strong but why people want to use it as the ONLY defensive tool is beyond me. you are supposed to stack this stuff. using pure evasion is garbage lottery. get some phys mit and suddenly it works, get ES (or go CI) with it and suddenly you explore the tanky end of the spectrum. but pure evasion is garbage and it is by design.

so please - want the life left side of the tree has? you should 'enjoy' the garbage damage left side of the tree has. it is called price to pay

not to mention that with abyss jewels life is easier to stack than ever (ofc if you do not use all jewel sockets for cool all damage jewels)
I dont see any any key!
"
sidtherat wrote:
higher DPS definitely protects against 'one shots' (aka bursts) because there are VERY FEW actual one shots that can kill you if you try to avoid them (like shaper slam that only laziest of the lazy need to facetank)

Umm... the rarity of oneshots is completely irrelevant to whether DPS protects against them or not. You didn't actually present an argument why they would.

And for the record: I'm using "oneshot" in the extended sense of "anything that kills you before you can react". For the purposes of fighting instant logout macros, that's what's relevant, regardless of whether it's one hit, several hits, a DoT, or any combination of the above.

"
sidtherat wrote:
second - damage IS relevant. because if it wasnt - you would play left side of the tree. but you want to play right side of the tree because it has 80% of tree's crit and 95% of tree's penetration - aka the damage

Are you using the general "you", or do you mean me specifically? Either way, the evidence is against you:

- The HC Bestiary skill tree heatmap shows a heavy slant towards the left side.
- The SC Bestiary skill tree heatmap shows a pretty even 50/50 split.

If the extra DPS is so much more worth it over the eHP, then why is the bottom right the most deserted area?

"
sidtherat wrote:
so to sum it up:

'one shots' are mostly fallacy used to pursue various bs agendas. people die to porcupines and claim 'one shots' (where simple evasion, dodge or block makes these nonissues), people walk into a doorway guarded by 20 chaos constructs with -50% chaos res and die.. etc etc. these ARE NOT one shots.

See above, but I'll say it again to be absolutely clear. I'm including multiple hits, very strong DoTs, and anything else that can kill you in <1 second in "oneshots". The argument is that instant logout makes players impossible to kill if they get to react in time, and so GGG's only recourse to making the game dangerous is to kill players before they can react. So the important distinction is whether or not you have time to react to the damage you're taking, not whether it was one hit or multiple hits.

"
sidtherat wrote:
using pure evasion is garbage lottery. get some phys mit and suddenly it works, get ES (or go CI) with it and suddenly you explore the tanky end of the spectrum. but pure evasion is garbage and it is by design.

We're in complete agreement on those points, except for perhaps the last one. I'm not sure if GGG intended to make pure evasion so bad, I think they just didn't realize that allowing instant logout would inevitably make it so bad.

But the more important point is: if the game's design makes pure evasion bad, then it stands to reason that dedicating an entire quadrant of the tree to pure evasion would make that quadrant of the tree unappealing. Which is evidently true, as per the above heatmaps.

So the question is: why should it be that one quarter of the tree is so bad compared to the rest of it? What's the design rationale behind that?

"
sidtherat wrote:
so please - want the life left side of the tree has? you should 'enjoy' the garbage damage left side of the tree has. it is called price to pay

Player power is at an all-time high. The extra damage is not sufficient compensation for the massive loss in survivability. Dead dps is 0 dps, and even non-crit dps is plenty enough for all content nowadays.
play left side of the tree then. you get all the life you want and have sufficient damage

and youll get cheap gear noone else wants..

all i read here is 'i want to eat a cookie and want it too'. real life here: pick one.
"
sidtherat wrote:
play left side of the tree then. you get all the life you want and have sufficient damage

and youll get cheap gear noone else wants..

all i read here is 'i want to eat a cookie and want it too'. real life here: pick one.

Why do you suggest stuff when you've probably done nothing worth while in the game?
Toss a ccin to your WITCHER?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info