Elder needs to be toned down. Plan and simple

I've defeated all his guardians with a few deaths each and these were white tier maps. He's currently sitting on my T4 lighthouse map. I've tried a few times with a ranged, very mobile bow build. But realized this just wasn't gonna cut it. Couldn't get the adds down fast enough, and of course that means spreading the ground rot that just destroys an evasion build because of physical damage. Never made it past the first stage as far as i could tell.

So I left the map alone for going on 3 weeks, and have built another supposedly more tanky Molten strike build with a 6 link Oni sword and still can't even get to the (second stage?) Where the elder has him chained up. I'm sorry GGG, but this encounter needs a nerf. At the very least for a t4 tier setting? I shouldn't need 1mil+ dps to take this down at this low of a level. It's just stupid. You try to take down the adds, and get whacked by elder mechanics. You ignore the adds, you end up with ground rot anyway, and no pot charges. Not to mention the freeze he puts on you, and one shot portal/respawn thing he does.

I'm currently running a 77 Juggernaut with 9k Molten Strike tooltip before passive buffs kick in, and about 4.1k health. I've watch a few videos of the encounter but most of that is yellow or red map tier. There seems to be no difference in the mechanics. Am I wrong in the way I'm thinking? Does the tier not matter at all? Because that should've been very clearly announced, or this guy shouldn't be spawning in that low of a tier map. Sure, I could find someone to run the stupid thing for me. I'd rather be able to have even a sliver of hope to defeat it on my own and not have to pay someone, and lose any loot dropped.

Let the trolling and flaming commence. I really don't care.
Last bumped on Jan 24, 2018, 2:24:13 PM
No he doesn't you just need a better build.

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
I thought it was stupidly easy in a T7 map..

You don't have to pay anyone anything to beat the Elder for you, it's not as if you need to do it RIGHT NOW, or tomorrow, or whatever.

You just need to figure out what works with the build you're using and what doesn't, so you can learn from that and improve.
tier matters, as does level of the area he spawns on.
many chars hit a wall where there are some things they just can't do. this is a side effect of having build options. elder isn't too hard, you just need to adjust your char to beat him. improving gear and getting more life should help prevent you from being one-shot so often.
The Elder is supposed to be an endgame boss, just like the Shaper or Uber Atziri. And right now even red-tier Elder is by far the easiest of those three encounters. Hell, I'd even say that a T14 Elder is easier than any of the Shaper's guardians (haven't seen him in a T15 map, but I doubt there's a huge difficulty spike compared to T14). So no, he doesn't need to be toned down. You just need to improve your build, and possibly your understanding of the fight mechanics.

BTW, it appears that totem builds have a particularly easy time with the portal phase. You simply need to place a totem near each portal, and that's enough to completely contain it. Just my 2c as far as build advice is concerned, since you mentioned that you were rolling different builds in this league :)
Fuck master rotas. Fuck any kind of rotas, for that matter.
Last edited by DGTLDaemon on Jan 22, 2018, 4:30:51 AM
Get some life on your boots, get a high life/res single jewel stygian abyss belt, get a rare amulet with life/res damage, get a second wildfire jewel, get better armour with more life, get a diamond flask.

Might be worth getting someone to check your tree as well (I don't know Juggernaut trees).

For around 30c or so, you can probably get your gear and character to a point where you can faceroll Elder pretty easy.
Elder does a lot of degen damage so maybe that + Oni-Goroshi is just dragging you down?
wait what? Red Elder is even ezier than any Shaper's Guardians. And tbh, 4.1k is pretty low on Jugg
mnnh.. i am not too sure about the whole red elder being easier than guardians since i killed all the guardians and red elder and red elder is def harder but not as hard as shaper. ( Kill them all for the first time in this league, so its a balance unbiased opinion )
I stopped doing Elder completely because it was too easy and boring compared to Shaper and his guardians.
Uploaded an awesome Exsanguinate Freeze Explosion build on the forums - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3508506

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info