Time to nerf the EXP penalty on death ?

"
goetzjam wrote:
How about you don't die, then you dont have to worry about the exp loss on death.

It's impossible. Unless you can guarantee that client never crash or never unexpected network disconnect.

I just died once because of client crash yesterday.
"
FNX_Heroes wrote:
"
goetzjam wrote:
How about you don't die, then you dont have to worry about the exp loss on death.

Oh it's very easy not to die, just skip all hard content, play in teams with a bot giving you 376453 auras and rush through easy maps. That's what most ppl reaching 100 the first week do (in SC and HC), isn't it ? ;)
But that's NOT how I want to play. I want to solo rare corrupted maps with insane mods combination and multiple sextants, and fight all kinds of bosses, so I'm bound to die sooner or later, but that's not fair because the risk/reward for experience is just not there.

Yes, the fact is people avoid danger content in order to level to 100. It makes this game become boring after lv. 90.

Is there ever anyone looting Alluring Abyss to level 100? I never saw it. Though looting Alluring Abyss is expensive. But even richest player never do that. In fact, Alluring Abyss is the fastest way to get exp., because there are only blue and yellow mobs in it.
Last edited by smtad on Jun 15, 2018, 3:55:59 AM
"
Cyzax wrote:
There is no reason to change the death penalty, as it is working exactly as designed...
Know this: You are not 'entitled' to reach level 100!
You're entitled to level as far as your character build skills, trading skills, grinding skills and most of all, ability to control your character and make decisions when playing that ensure you're not dying, mandate.
If you can't advance further because you keep dying, it is because your skills in one or more of these areas are lacking, and you do not deserve to reach level 100.

Punish people who dare to fight danger mods and bosses; reward cowards that avoid danger mods and bosses to level to 100.

This mechanic is a joke.

Lv. 100 is not a honor in PoE, it just means "you're a coward."
Last edited by smtad on Jun 15, 2018, 4:17:54 AM
"
smtad wrote:
Punish people who dare to fight danger mods and bosses; reward cowards that avoid danger mods and bosses to level to 100.

Well if there'd be no death penalty you'd loose all the bragging rights dude.

No thank you. The game is balanced mostly around softcore and nerfing or removing the death penalty in softcore will eventually affect hardcore players in a bad way. People in softcore will start running insanely fragile 3k hp and no layers of protection (because hey, who cares about dying anymore?) builds with crazy 20mil dps meaning GGG will have to nerf something accordingly. I don't want my already low DPS to be reduced by 1/3 just because some whiners feel like 10% exp for dying is too much for them to handle.

If GGG decide to make different balance tweaks for different game modes i'd be ok with that, you can have your press RMB to win button, but since that is not the case you need to understand that any SC-related change will affect HC players and vice versa.
"
LaiTash wrote:
I don't want my already low DPS to be reduced by 1/3 just because some whiners feel like 10% exp for dying is too much for them to handle.

And I don't want players to feel that skipping all content is mandatory because some Ultra-penalty cultist can't be bothered to read that most so-called "whiners" don't want a complete absence of penalty, but a simple rework because the current iteration doesn't do its job.
"
FNX_Heroes wrote:
"
lagwin1980 wrote:

It's been changed once, it won't change again because it supposed to be a learning tool, as in it fucking hurts to loose the xp so you figure out why you are dying and not do it again.

I hope you're not serious... :)

Well, I guess expecting people to learn is too much nowadays. Just give them achievements and rain them with loot.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
Perq wrote:
"
FNX_Heroes wrote:
"
lagwin1980 wrote:

It's been changed once, it won't change again because it supposed to be a learning tool, as in it fucking hurts to loose the xp so you figure out why you are dying and not do it again.

Well, I guess expecting people to learn is too much nowadays. Just give them achievements and rain them with loot.

As a casual with limited playtime , the only thing I learned from xp death at lvl 85+ is how the game is wasting my time :P And I try to play and avoid all death at all cost ;)

I wish the leveling progress would be more balanced btw pre-90 and post 90.

I would like them to even out leveling process cause its too easy and fast to reach 90 without even trying but after 90 it become a fucking chore and I get bored to death and just quit the game altogether.
"
LaiTash wrote:
"
smtad wrote:

Well if there'd be no death penalty you'd loose all the bragging rights dude.

No thank you. The game is balanced mostly around softcore and nerfing or removing the death penalty in softcore will eventually affect hardcore players in a bad way. People in softcore will start running insanely fragile 3k hp and no layers of protection (because hey, who cares about dying anymore?).

First thing, HC is minority. Quite vocal, but still, small minority. Besides that, nobody will run 3k hp build, as each map still has 6 portals, so a character who is constantly dying will not get any experience and soon will run out of maps. At current state of the game 10% exp penalty is just... extremly annoing for most of the players, while it does not limit "no-lifers" in any way. So now the best of "pro no-fifers" are able to achieve lvl 100 after 4 days of each league, while 99% of the other players reach level 95 at most.
losing exp is actually demoralizing.
"
Perq wrote:
"
FNX_Heroes wrote:
"
lagwin1980 wrote:

Meh, I would settle for more anti-zerging encouragement and linking the gained EXP directly to the played map via the number of portals (so you always deal with the current death EXP penalty upfront).

We are "debuffed" by our Kitava fights, but we're not affected in any way by continuously throwing bodies at enemies and you talk about "learning". Right... /s

Death EXP penalty should have ALWAYS been meaningful, from level 1 to 100 - TencentGGG will not address that, as GGG missed the mark FROM THE START on this common sense point - regarding granting players an incentive to "learn the game".

What they could do instead, would be to "pedal to the metal" on the relation between number of chances at finishing content, and giving players their map EXP.

I would enjoy the current system a lot more, IF I would be limited by my number of map portals (and I could adjust said limit at will), and based on that number I would have a chance at receiving in full the map EXP (for 6 portals, 1 portal would be 16.6%, for 5 portals, 1 would be 20%, ..., for 3 portals, 1 would equal 33.3%, ..., and for 1 portal, you would get up to 100% of the map EXP). And of course the said EXP is dependent on the enemies killed when you were playing the content.

Why do this simple change? Simply because I loath being penalized VERY (the right term should be TOO) HARSH for a shortcoming independent of my capabilities at times. Even in the current implementation, the loot still is available on Softcore post death, but placing more focus on at least letting players to "choose" their difficulty setting would be the right thing to do, as opposed to the "forced mash up" of the Hardcore system implemented with the "Labyrinth".

So "bad" builds would still fail at gaining EXP and always be stuck in "Limbo", but everyone else would not feel demoralized and forced to play subpar content (we're still leveling post 95 with content 10 levels below us, just because GGG thought this is the "way to go", and left a lot of "wiggle" room for future content), so when you EARNED your EXP, you know you're going to keep it...

Now if an additional "debuff" would be placed upon a characters death to discourage "zerging" during the storyline and post storyline (at a various impact), things would improve a lot IMHO. Make it special by letting players to remove it via a quest or simply waiting for it to expire. PoE was popular for having "choice" as a core component...

Oh, and just imagine the pleasure of actually watch certain streamers run those "impossible" maps in 1 run and not 6 tries, which would also lead to an improvement in their skillplay, or more improvements in PoE's technical stability & performance...

PS: I hate to have to "push" myself to disregard a small "hurdle" like losing the EXP earned via at least 15 T15 Beachheads or 20 Poorjoys when leveling from 99 to 100, just because I wanted to chase Shaper/Elder or play very difficult encounters without instantly logging out at the first sight of danger... I still think that hard & end game worthy content should also reward players with a fair incentive EXP wise, and actually be a viable alternative to the "playing snooze fest content", if you want to level to 100. But that's simply the opinion of your friendly casual n00b hoarder that doesn't "learn" much and just "expects" achievements and "loot showers"... /s
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Jun 15, 2018, 11:56:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info