Time to nerf the EXP penalty on death ?

Hey,

I was just thinking that Exp gain and Exp loss should go together.
- EXP gained has been nerfed several times during the past years,
- However, EXP lost on death has never been revised accordingly.

GGG has always brought the idea to test new things in leagues. Why not introduce reduced EXP loss on death during a new league, and see how this feature is welcome by the whole community ?
Last bumped on Jun 17, 2018, 1:41:50 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Or just remove the system that has been almost universally hated by gamers for well over a decade now.
Always bored...
"
Hexerin wrote:
Or just remove the system that has been almost universally hated by gamers for well over a decade now.

Not necessarily removed but reworked. I think death should involve some kind of penalty, but the current system hasn't evolved since many years, when the XP system has greatly been modified.

Maybe something different or complementary could be used. For example a "death shrine" in town, where you have to pay a (reasonable) fee to get your XP back. You don't pay, you lose (for example) 5% of your XP, and the more you pay (for example 10-20 regrets ?) you get all your XP back. With a fee similar to what you pay today to rework the bandits quest.
in d2 we lost a lot of gold when we died.
"
FNX_Heroes wrote:
Hey,

GGG has always brought the idea to test new things in leagues. Why not introduce reduced EXP loss on death during a new league, and see how this feature is welcome by the whole community ?

It's been changed once, it won't change again because it supposed to be a learning tool, as in it fucking hurts to loose the xp so you figure out why you are dying and not do it again.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
FNX_Heroes wrote:
Hey,

If it was for me i would drastically increase the penalty and moderately reduce the xp numbers to achieve lvl100. Leveling after 95 is just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow even if you never die.
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick
How about you don't die, then you dont have to worry about the exp loss on death.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
"
FNX_Heroes wrote:
Hey,

It's been changed once, it won't change again because it supposed to be a learning tool, as in it fucking hurts to loose the xp so you figure out why you are dying and not do it again.

the problem with the 'learning curve' argument is, Death penalty only matters very late into the game, well over the meaningful 'learning curve' part.

For a death penalty to be meaningful, i must be meaningful at any level & stage, not just when you are leveling in the 90s.

How meaninfulg is the exp lost at death at leveling wehen you can zerg bosses. When you are 'GOD' mode, there is no learning curve.

Death penalty is meaningless when you are leveling in stroy, as you can gain back the lasot exp in mins, even seconds
Death Penalty is meaningless unless you are HC
Death Penalty is not harsh when you are leveling up to about level 88.
Death Penalty is meaningless to one that have no intension to level up anymore, & tehe is NOT good reason not to convert to glass cannon.
Death penalty starts to hurt & get disportionally worst towards lvl 100

Hence its a very very poor design.

Now imagine if against bosses in story, you are given max of 0-3 death, after which you have to redo the fight. Now the players will have to learn to be better.

Or imagine if every death has a death timer of say 10 sec. Now that will hurt, & encouarge plaxers not to die. More death, more out of action.

Or maybe, lowering Loot & exp when you die for a set period. Now taht will make glass cannon builds think again.

Last edited by KiadawP on Jan 6, 2018, 12:27:47 PM
"
goetzjam wrote:
How about you don't die, then you dont have to worry about the exp loss on death.

How about GGG offering some "worthy" as in "closer to our level post 95" enemies, more dangerous than your regular ones, just for helping some of us actually test our characters and constantly improving them?

How about bosses giving a fair "chunk" of EXP from a map?

How about Regret orbs becoming a more useful orb, and actually having more weight in relation to EX/Chaos? Or if Regret can't be re-purposed, grant a way to recover a set amount of EXP on death, always up to 50% from the last death, via a quest, a trial or new special "orbs"...

They have a large amount of options to actually make the current disproportion between EXP gain and EXP death penalties a lot more manageable and tolerable, and the best thing is: they already have a dedicated environment for those that adore 1 shot only at all content - remember Hardcore league? - so why not use it as intended...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Jan 6, 2018, 12:28:21 PM
"
lagwin1980 wrote:

I hope you're not serious... :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info