Stories from Development: The Undying

I really like the design idea behind them, and while I understand the concerns laid out, some of them don't apply any-more. is there any way to make undying (or a new city stalker type monster) more like this original intention now that those concerns are removed?
"
grepman wrote:
"
Some players would not understand that this was a sign that they needed to go elsewhere and find a way to become powerful, and would have instead become concerned that the game is too difficult and it's literally impossible to progress. We saw these exact concerns later from encounters that were far more winnable than how we intended this one to be

... and this is why I have little to no hope for pc gaming nowadays. pc games in 80s and 90s didn't have to account for special olympics contestants playing the game and getting stuck on something.

whereas nowadays, God forbid you get stuck on something, it's a tragedy and a sign from God to run on the forum and accuse the devs of unfair game.

QFT

P.S. also this (i won't name&shame the author) :
"
Glad you left that shit out, Sounds annoying, kinda like the Labyrinth.

is why we can't have anything interesting in game(s) today. -__-
Everything is being simplified for snowflakes.
Fucking SAD.
Remember, suffering is convenient.
That is why many people prefer it.
Happiness requires effort.
I want this as a unique map
Nothing here
"
HarukaTeno wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
"
Some players would not understand that this was a sign that they needed to go elsewhere and find a way to become powerful, and would have instead become concerned that the game is too difficult and it's literally impossible to progress. We saw these exact concerns later from encounters that were far more winnable than how we intended this one to be

... and this is why I have little to no hope for pc gaming nowadays. pc games in 80s and 90s didn't have to account for special olympics contestants playing the game and getting stuck on something.

whereas nowadays, God forbid you get stuck on something, it's a tragedy and a sign from God to run on the forum and accuse the devs of unfair game.

QFT

P.S. also this (i won't name&shame the author) :
"
Glad you left that shit out, Sounds annoying, kinda like the Labyrinth.

is why we can't have anything interesting in game(s) today. -__-
Everything is being simplified for snowflakes.
Fucking SAD.

Really sad. But they'll just tell you to go play Dark Souls or something. The problem is that Dark Souls hasn't been the same since DS1 either anymore. It all gets the same treatment: nerfs and overpowered abilities to cheese the game, under a shroud of "quality of life".

Games used to be absolutely brutal and beating them was not for everyone. I miss those days.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
Those are things I LOVE to read. True developer stories and backgrounds a player normally never sees.
Brings me back to my good old days as product manager for some MMO games.
TwitchTV: http://www.twitch.tv/akumanotsubasa
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/AkumaNoTsubasa
Please use http://pobb.in for your guides instead of pastebin!
bla bla bla :)=
At the intersection between all worlds,
     surrounded by the mystical Fogs since the dawn of time, stands Eternal Rome;
     a city of opportunity and loss, and of incredible wealth and equally incredible poverty.
Now every time i hear hagan's quote i'm going to think of this story. neat.
How come nobody said "maybe lab is a bad idea"

Let's have the player go into a magic portal to fight some weirdo in an annoying and boring maze with little explanation how and why you're doing it in a game where nobody reads the lore, assuming there is an explanation somewhere. And the reward is a fundamental part of your character.
It's as if lets say you want to learn how to play an instrument and in order to do so you have to walk a dog, milk a cow and climb a lamp post.
Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.
Nice story!
Waiting for another one :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info