Stories from Development: The Undying

I like this kind of backstory! Thanks GGG
ARMCHAIR DEVELOPER: Why didn't you just give the rude dudes a special phasing so you couldn't see them, and then give the player a permabuff to see them at that point in the act (permabuffs must definitely have already been a thing since bandit rewards were in, right?)

Then, the opening to act 3 was the outskirts of sarn, which you said already you wanted to be eerily empty... saving Clarissa with a quest notification of 'Rescue Clarissa from the Guards' 'Be wary of the shade'.

Here is how I would have done it (keep in mind that I am a moron):

In act 3, standing in any sort of darkness would cause the whole screen to get a little darker and then your light radius would start to decrease (a use for light radius? heck!). When your light radius hits something silly low like 2, you see the city stalkers for the first time and at 0 they wreck you. Huge bonuses to their stats when they are in the darkness or something like that.

Eventually, you would get a permabuff (maybe something sarn lore related like, having some quest gem melded into your physical body) that would stop your light radius from getting guttered in the shadows, and significantly weaken city stalkers in your light.

PROS
+: a use for light radius
+: scary doofs
+: you can give the player tense moments where they can barely make it through an area before their light radius runs out, or has to run from thing to thing to remove the light radius debuff, or has to fight dudes to light certain areas to progress as a quest
+: if this is too hard for certain peeps, people done with the quest could offer up their company to protect the unlighted youngins
+: creates a new marketable service
+: cool mechanics where enemies might reduce your light radius or make areas shady to put the goof to you

CONS
-: ????
-: This is a good idea, right?
So glad this didn't make it in, it's a cool idea but it wouldn't feel good to play imo.

Getting some insight from the devs is great though, the more the better.

Last edited by DrDraids on Jan 3, 2018, 12:31:20 AM
"
Hamallainen wrote:
Now the story of the Undying blockage, please.

Ahahahahahaha, and the infernal talc to soothe the blockage, yes I want this very much as well :D

Good read btw, interesting stuff.
nice reading for breakfast, gimme that gem whilest avoiding the sun ^^"
"
tzimize wrote:
"
Hamallainen wrote:

Ahahahahahaha, and the infernal talc to soothe the blockage, yes I want this very much as well :D

I'm more curious about the story behind the giant pink phallus used to blast a hole into the belly of the beast.
Saved
"Stay out of the shadows. They bite." -- Hargan

Daaaaammmnnn. guess that line will never be the same again haha. it has actual meaning now
My first HC death came to these dudes, felt hard enough back then.
"
60x7 wrote:
"
tzimize wrote:
"
Hamallainen wrote:

I'm more curious about the story behind the giant pink phallus used to blast a hole into the belly of the beast.

N-nani?
cool story bro, almost had the day night cycle mess us up.

and look guys, chris is at 14 achievements, congratz, just 10 more for the next thing
https://youtu.be/Dt9GwmOWoqo

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info