Monster Density in Maps

I like how it sound.

This "more danger = more reward" with corruption.
And desired packsize on map mods...

Good things.
Interesting mechanics enthusiast.
It's hard to be optimistic when you know the 1000 hour expert team is working at GGG still.
We will see, but the way this post about density is worded it's not clear that it will be buffed at all.

If anything, I worry that GGG will now focus a lot of attention to xp/hour and the 1k hour experts will nerf based on that heavily, until everything is the same or until something boring is the best.

Like, I can see a scenario where the best currency/map ratio is running a shit layout that they buffed to get the xp/h up. Meanwhile, running maps you enjoy get you bad returns and is pretty much expensive to do, because theoretically you get as much xp/h as the bad layout/good density even though the good layout is almost empty, rushing through it.

GGG - please bring back some of the things you took away the last year and a half.
Fix ailments, revert the aoe change which has made the game much less interesting and enjoyable, bring back COC, bring back vaal spells.
...but you will probably nerf the things people enjoy until glacial hammer is considered pretty op for clearing and, well yeah then you will nerf that.
"
fesru wrote:
It's hard to be optimistic when you know the 1000 hour expert team is working at GGG still.
We will see, but the way this post about density is worded it's not clear that it will be buffed at all.

If anything, I worry that GGG will now focus a lot of attention to xp/hour and the 1k hour experts will nerf based on that heavily, until everything is the same or until something boring is the best.

Like, I can see a scenario where the best currency/map ratio is running a shit layout that they buffed to get the xp/h up. Meanwhile, running maps you enjoy get you bad returns and is pretty much expensive to do, because theoretically you get as much xp/h as the bad layout/good density even though the good layout is almost empty, rushing through it.

GGG - please bring back some of the things you took away the last year and a half.
Fix ailments, revert the aoe change which has made the game much less interesting and enjoyable, bring back COC, bring back vaal spells.
...but you will probably nerf the things people enjoy until glacial hammer is considered pretty op for clearing and, well yeah then you will nerf that.

I agree. Given GGG's track record of nerfing everything into complete shit. I'm not optimistic this map density 'balance' will be any different. I must assume they will take the nerf hammer to more densely populated maps and basically make all maps vanilla style boring.

Can we get some kind of clarification on your dates in the future, or at least stick to using one timezone.
This change is really concerning.

First, it doesnt solve the problem that people run the same good layout maps at all.
Even if a bad layout map with a lot of backtracking gives the same XP per hour than a nice map, I still dont want to run those simply because backtracking is boring!
THAT's the real problem here. I dont care about XP per hour that much, I just want a fast fun ARPG.
I think it is bad design if you try to balance "boring content with higher rewards" forcing people to do that.
Bethesda had the same problem with the early elder scrolls games. it simply wasnt fun to clear a dungeon and then have to walk back through thw whole thing doing nothing.
At some point the developers did get it and changed the level design, so that you came back to the entrance after clearing the dungeon. Thy didnt just put better loot in it because it would still be boring

Second, what does "it is balanced around XP per hour" even mean?
Does it mean that an open layout like dunes is balanced around the best possible build like e.g. a QotF wander build that clears multiple screens? If this is the case, then you cant run maps like that anymore with e.g. a cyclone build and are forced to only run stuff like gorges where you can keep up with those projectile builds.
It would make the situation even worse than it is now.

Third, if the density is now balanced around the amount of mods on a map, then I cant see how you could enjoy running magic maps anymore.
Does this mean, that all low tier maps have really low pack size when you start running easy magic maps with crappy gear at the start of a league (or even white ones?).
This would also mean that alteration/regal crafting maps is pretty much dead.
It would also make alterations/augments/regals even less useful than they are now.
Because this change will FORCE you to alch/chaos your maps for 6+ rolls.
this will limit map crafting strategies A LOT.

Last edited by azraelb on Nov 15, 2017, 7:11:47 PM
Okay I read like 10 pages and then skipped to the end, so forgive me if this is a repeat:

After seeing years of announcements and the resultant changes, here is what I predict:

- Yes, we now provide increase pack size for every map mod rolled
<<Hidden effect>> However, we have significantly dropped the pack size percentage applied for each mod. As such, the average pack size for a statistical set of maps will be the same, just distributed differently.

So your 58% Quant 37% Qual map will now roll 58% 37% 8%

But your 76% Quant 47% Qual 22% Pack Size will now roll 76% 47% 14%

I would take short odd bets on this.
Last edited by Slaanesh69 on Nov 16, 2017, 10:14:20 AM
"
Slaanesh69 wrote:
Okay I read like 10 pages and then skipped to the end, so forgive me if this is a repeat:

After seeing years of announcements and the resultant changes, here is what I predict:

- Yes, we now provide increase pack size for every map mod rolled
<<Hidden effect>> However, we have significantly dropped the pack size percentage applied for each mod. As such, the average pack size for a statistical set of maps will be the same, just distributed differently.

So your 58% Quant 37% Qual map will now roll 58% 37% 8%

But your 76% Quant 47% Qual 22% Pack Size will now roll 76% 47% 14%

I would take short odd bets on this.

Yep, it's yet another nerf. That's how this 'balance' team justifies its existence; by nerfing everything into complete shit.
I haven't tried the update yet i just hope that bad layouts get some love and good layouts don't get nerfed so you could run both of them with the same XP/HR, meaning just personal choice matters since everyone will have a reason for doing x map like a div card or a enjoyable layout.

I like the idea of running more corrupted maps hehe
Maybe slow builds get some love too?
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
Thanks.

Please don't make such a back-arsewards change again. Before 3.0.0 there were already some maps that felt barren, this just made most of them feel that way. I'm alright with gaining a similar amount of experience, but it simply isn't fun having to go out of your way to find packs. If it was left as-was or you made this change sooner, I probably would have kept playing Harb.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info