Are Torchlight series games any good?

I will pick up at least 2 for sure. Thanks for advice!
Censored.
They're both very good, and more than any other ARPG like this they knew what they wanted and made it. They're not quite the hardcore dark experience that PoE is, they have the same pixar looking art that D3 has but instead of trying to create a feel like D3 they embrace the slightly silly looking art and it works well. In addition they don't try to make it feel hardcore but instead just good fun, and they let you mod the hell out of it.

I got a huge amount of time out of torchlight 1, and much less out of 2, but I think that's more due to the fact that there was nothing else for years for 1 and 2 came out somewhat around D3 and PoE.
torchlight is very arcade.
Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
"
Head_Less wrote:
torchlight is very arcade.
Yeah. I felt it was reminiscent of Gauntlet:Legends with some light RPG elements (paper doll inventory/procedural itemization) thrown in. Even the animation/scenery evoked the arcadey feel to me. Great for casual couch play.
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."
On its own merits, TL2 is a interesting, and more importantly, fun game. On the surface, it's the usual ARPG fanfare: kill stuff, pick up items to better kill stuff, kill more stuff, turn in quests while looking for a nicer pair of pants.

First things first, the elephants in the room.

A lot of people complained about the "cartoony" look of the game. Personally, I find it endearing, and it still allows for some stunning visuals when the designers want us to see them. It also works well with the steampunk-ish background of the world.

The skill system... is wonky, to me anyway. The game throws in this cool ranking called "Fame", which generates skill points, but the system is filled with arbitrary clvl breakpoints which will all but grind skill progression to a halt. The skills also have a rank progression of their own, which makes this even more frustrating,

Cool features:
Pets that do useful things for you. (Seriously, give your pet a summoning scroll, lolcat when he summons stuff.)
Experience system with a parallel Fame system, for more skill points. (Which you may or may not be able to use to your liking.)
Enough whimsicality to lighten the usual grimdark of ARPGs.
Pretty good diversity for builds within the 4 character classes.
Lots of interesting things to kill. (And, of course, spiders.)

Cons:
Wonky skill system.
Endgame mapping may feel a bit aimless if you're coming from POE

[quote="Lovecraftuk"]I think the new meta is everyone bitching about the new league. [/quote]
"
On its own merits, TL2 is a interesting, and more importantly, fun game. On the surface, it's the usual ARPG fanfare: kill stuff, pick up items to better kill stuff, kill more stuff, turn in quests while looking for a nicer pair of pants.

First things first, the elephants in the room.

A lot of people complained about the "cartoony" look of the game. Personally, I find it endearing, and it still allows for some stunning visuals when the designers want us to see them. It also works well with the steampunk-ish background of the world.

The skill system... is wonky, to me anyway. The game throws in this cool ranking called "Fame", which generates skill points, but the system is filled with arbitrary clvl breakpoints which will all but grind skill progression to a halt. The skills also have a rank progression of their own, which makes this even more frustrating,

Cool features:
Pets that do useful things for you. (Seriously, give your pet a summoning scroll, lolcat when he summons stuff.)
Experience system with a parallel Fame system, for more skill points. (Which you may or may not be able to use to your liking.)
Enough whimsicality to lighten the usual grimdark of ARPGs.
Pretty good diversity for builds within the 4 character classes.
Lots of interesting things to kill. (And, of course, spiders.)

Cons:
Wonky skill system.
Endgame mapping may feel a bit aimless if you're coming from POE

How could you forget to mention the fishing? It's a rather important thing, especially if you rely on your pet a lot!
Also, on-hit effects. There's a ton of them... lightnings, fire storm, poison rain, meteors... fun stuff.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
well shit, coming from Median XL TL1 would feel positively primitive. But as someone who enjoyed D1 more than D2, I'm coming from the other direction. I loved the pared back nature of TL1.

Now that you mention it, I can agree D2 is a much better game but I liked D1 more for some reason. If I had to make a guess, it might be that oppressive dungeoney feeling that D2 didn't quite hit.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
-torchlight endgame is crap for the simple reason everyone on public server are "hacking" their stash tabs to duplicate/spawn op items.

-The level design is very good Imo, I really enjoy the fantasy setting, hunted forest and dragons.

-not much to do once you finished grinding

Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
Torchlight 1 was awesome, and TL2 is still one of my favorite games.
however,
"
Head_Less wrote:
everyone on public server are "hacking" their stash tabs to duplicate/spawn op items.

so once you have completed the story, try downloading a mod and continuing solo.
Synergies for example.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Can vouch for TL2 + mods.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info